before my advisor chops my head off..i wanted to say, i love you guys.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hotdawg

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
seriously i have two questions before i have a "phone meeting " with him.

if you were trying to boost your gpa, and you could take grad classes at a med school for free, would that help you or is post bacc the only(expensive) place to go?

anyone in nyc know of any interesting volunteer /intern opps?

thanks guys. you the bomb.

Members don't see this ad.

if you already graduated taking more undergrad classes isn't going to change a lot. I was told that by some of the university of tennessee admissions committee. That was a question I had a long time ago before I even graduated. I say go bust out a masters if you don't think you have the ammo to get in.

Robz said:
if you already graduated taking more undergrad classes isn't going to change a lot. I was told that by some of the university of tennessee admissions committee. That was a question I had a long time ago before I even graduated. I say go bust out a masters if you don't think you have the ammo to get in.

bust out a masters..what about taking a few grad classes? thats what i can afford right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do what's cheap and make As. Some people will say go with a masters others with a post bacc. I had never intended to finish my masters I just wanted to show I could do the work. Start taking the classes that are free and you can apply that towards a masters later if you need to. Many of the med schools I talked to had said that I had to complete my masters if I started one. Keep that in mind.

That said.. I was told to do a masters by an admin director member. I did the masters. Made a 4.0 and then was told that it was no good, by the same admin director. He said that my undergrad GPA was still too low. Now had I done post bacc stuff that would have raised my GPA and would have benifitted me more.. It's also what I had wanted to do. :rolleyes:

How are you taking this class at the Med School for free?

In my experience, improving your undergrad GPA is most important and easiest in that situation. It is easy to do since you can re-take a few classes that you did poorly in and it will "erase" those poor grades from the GPA calcualtion and replace them with, hopefully, As. Grad work is helpful as well but in a more subjective way, which is why no one can give you a clear answer. It is up to you to decide what you can do in what time period and with what money to put forth your best effort in the next application cycle. Good Luck

Nate said:
In my experience, improving your undergrad GPA is most important and easiest in that situation. It is easy to do since you can re-take a few classes that you did poorly in and it will "erase" those poor grades from the GPA calcualtion and replace them with, hopefully, As.

Don't be fooled by this. The original grade still shows up and I was asked about it at an interview. It's almost a gimmick to get people to apply to DO schools.

Sure it shows up and of course you have to account for it but when it comes to numbers there is a world of difference in 2.9 and 3.0. Fix what you can.

Nate said:
Sure it shows up and of course you have to account for it but when it comes to numbers there is a world of difference in 2.9 and 3.0. Fix what you can.

Yeah, but I'm saying ultimately it doesn't matter, so there isn't much point in doing it.

JKDMed said:
Yeah, but I'm saying ultimately it doesn't matter, so there isn't much point in doing it.

hey guys..

well i am able to take grad classes for free because i work at a medical school that would allow me to do so ( i am a research tech). i agree with nate that i should ideally retake classes, but my school is too far away for me to do that ...i would have to quit my job and find housing, etc. all i really want to do is show admissions that i can do the work. if anyone would like to relate how they've done it, i would be open to suggestions, etc.

thanks guys (and nate)

h.d