1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Began course work in '93..do I have to start from scratch??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by OhioMD2B, Feb 12, 2002.

1. I am currently 26 y/o and I began my pre-med coursework after high school in Autumn '93. I follwed through w/ the course work until March '96, when I had to abruptly discontinue my coursework to assist my father in the family business. Amazingly, over 5 years have passed by, and now that I am re-enrolled at Ohio State, I have great cocern that my courses completed in '93 & '94 could still be used when I apply to med school next year. I would certainly despise the the idea of starting over!!!!! If anyone else has been in a similar situation, I would greatly appreciate some input. Thanks!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. EMDrMoe

EMDrMoe Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi :) I started pre-med coursework in 1991 straight out of high school. I graduated in 1995. My husband's situation was the same, except he took organic in 2000 and I retook it in 2000. We're both accepted to MCO as of December. Make sure you check on the requirements for specific schools, but at least some schools won't care. Good luck!!

4. vixen

vixen I like members
    10+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OhioMD2B
    Member # 6165
    posted February 08, 2002 05:31 PM
    YES!!! Finally there is someone else in this squalid world who is pugilistic enough to state that DDS's are exactly like a DC---FAKE DOCTOR! For those clairvoyant individuals out there, do you ever notice how nearly all DCs use the prefix "Dr." in front of there name, as opposed to "first name/last name, D.C.". It is only because these wannabe med school failures realize that the public will not recognize them as a supposed "Dr.", with these dorky initials after their name. The designation "D.C." carries little weight or rspect. These crafty snake oil salesmen hope, that in the event of preceding their name with "Dr.", peaople will assume that they are true Doctors of Medicine; I mean, c'mon, who really goes to college as "pre-chiro"-- Individuals only become pre-chiro when they are deemed not worthy of the rigors of med school. My point is most salient and should be taken to heart by all of those non-M.D.'s who care to attach the designation of Dr. to their name. These people are doing nothing more than diluting the title of Dr. for those who really did jump all the hurdles and finish med school. D.C.'s--WHAT A JOCULAR BUNCH!!!! </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You post crap like this and THEN you want help... :rolleyes:

5. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I took my year of physics in 1992. I've been accepted to two schools so far, and no one has even mentioned it. I think some schools have a 10-year cut-off or something, but mostly you should be fine.

Oh and by the way, if that D.C. post quoted above is yours, lighten up--no one likes a bitter troll.

6. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I took physics, chemistry, and calculus in 1992/93 and have secured interviews without mention of the age of the courses.

7. Ben01

Ben01 Member
    7+ Year Member

[/QUOTE]You post crap like this and THEN you want help... :rolleyes: [/QB][/QUOTE]

uh yeah ...why not. Sure his post was a little immature but it IS true that DCs are NOT doctors. A lot of DC schools and individual DCs make fraudulent claims concerning the efficacy of spinal manipulation. Some even claim that it cures/prevents cancer(!!???!). Several scientific studies have proven that spinal manipulation does provide some temporary back pain relief but it is no more effective than other forms of manipulation (ie. massage therapy). Believe what you will but that's the truth. I suggest you check out this web page:

<a href="http://www.chirobase.org/01General/skeptic.html" target="_blank">http://www.chirobase.org/01General/skeptic.html</a>

8. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Ben01:
    [qb]

uh yeah ...why not. Sure his post was a little immature but it IS true that DCs are NOT doctors. A lot of DC schools and individual DCs make fraudulent claims concerning the efficacy of spinal manipulation. Some even claim that it cures/prevents cancer(!!???!). Several scientific studies have proven that spinal manipulation does provide some temporary back pain relief but it is no more effective than other forms of manipulation (ie. massage therapy). Believe what you will but that's the truth. I suggest you check out this web page:

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You can hold your own flawed opinion, but the troll also said that dentists were "FAKE DOCTORS". If that's not the mark of a troll, i dunno what is. I also don't know why you put in that stuff about "claimed to cure cancer"- so what? If i "claimed" to have just run 2 miles in 3 minutes you'd think i was crazy. But why should that extend to everyone else? It shouldn't, and neither should this. --Trek

9. Ben01

Ben01 Member
    7+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You can hold your own flawed opinion, but the troll also said that dentists were "FAKE DOCTORS". If that's not the mark of a troll, i dunno what is. I also don't know why you put in that stuff about "claimed to cure cancer"- so what? If i "claimed" to have just run 2 miles in 3 minutes you'd think i was crazy. But why should that extend to everyone else? It shouldn't, and neither should this. --Trek</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">My opinion of Chiropractors is far from flawed -- it is based on scientific fact versus the general claims of the chiropractic community as a whole. I do NOT agree with the "troll's" opinion that dentists are "fake doctors". My post did not say anything about dentists and I have complete respect for them and their profession. I didn't read the troll's post closely and I just focused on the part about chiropractors. I apologize. Now, back to chiropractors and your post. You said "If i "claimed" to have just run 2 miles in 3 minutes you'd think i was crazy. But why should that extend to everyone else?" This is a poor example that does not support your argument. Your example is of one person making an unbelievable fraudulent claim. As you suggest, it should not and does not extend to "everyone else" (I assume by that you mean all runners/athletes). However,my claim that many chiropractors make fraudulent claims (including curing/preventing cancer) is a different situation. The FACT is that MANY (most) chiropractors and schools of chiropractic claim that manipulation does MUCH more than it actually does (ie. permanent back/neck pain relief;prevention of back pain by regular "adjustments";prevention of sickness by manipulation etc etc) In fact, that is what the whole business of chiropractic is based upon: making people think that manipulation is a holistic alternative to traditional medicine that offers all the benefits of traditional medicine and more! There are some chiropractors that know the limits of manipulation (temporary lower back pain relief) and practice accordingly and that's great. However, it certainly does not reflect the general opinion of the chiropractic community. The general population sees chiropractors as "Doctors" and therefore trust their opinions on medical problems that chiropractors are NOT trained to diagnose or treat. This is a dangerous situation. In short, "Trek" chiropractors are not doctors. I suggest that you get all the facts about a subject before entering into an argument.

10. EpiII

EpiII Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I took Inorganic Chem in 1991 and graduated in 1994. I applied to all 8 CA schools and none of them have questioned my 'ancient' coursework. I have received 6 interviews. I do not know how this might or might not relate to Ohio though.

11. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A good joke for all you "anti - dentites"....

Hey, what do you call someone who failed out of medical school???

A Dentist - stole that one from Jerry Seinfeld

12. lady in red

lady in red Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Please don't insult dentists. Dental school is HARD as HELL. Not only you have to go to class, but, unlike med students, you have real patients--right away, and you have to go to a gazillion labs. I would say it is harder than med school. Look at DAT--I'd say MCAT looks like SAT comparing to it. I have a lot of respect for dentists. I also think that dentistry takes talent (unlike medicine). YOu have to have 3D thinking (which I don;t) and manual dexterity (which i do). Go to the library. Look at dental journals. Dentists ARE doctors. They perform surgeries, they are called "Doctor of Dental Surgery"--right? Oral and Maxillofacial surgery residency is one of the toughest to secure. I think this is total BS that someone would even think that MD is "superior" to DDS! BOth are docotrs, they just treat different things. Dunno abour chiros, but I love dentists!

13. danjou

danjou Member
    7+ Year Member

Ah! I too took my premed courses in '93, and was planning to take them over at a post-bac program b/c one of the schools I want to apply to won't accept premed courses over seven years old. On the one hand, I did crappy on them (freshman year - what can I say?) and need to refresh for the MCAT's anyway, but on the other hand, am I going to look like an idiot to the other schools that don't care how old the classes were?

augh, now I'm confused..... :confused:

14. danjou

danjou Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, I'll give you one tidbit - if you want to apply to Duke, you've got to take them over (they've got the seven-year rule).