Beggars can't be choosers or should they be ?

  • Take the spot

    Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Go to the interviews

    Votes: 1 12.5%

  • Total voters
    8
  • Poll closed .
Sep 8, 2013
76
47
Status
Pre-Medical
I am a re applicant and I got accepted to a DO school and the non refundable deposit is due relatively soon ( it's 1500$). I also have 3 md interviews lined up which equate to about the same price. What would you do in a similar situation . Gamble the acceptance for the interviews or secure your spot( if money is a factor )?
 

EMDO2018

Membership Revoked
Removed
Oct 8, 2013
1,913
1,232
I don't know
Status
Medical Student
I am a re applicant and I got accepted to a DO school and the non refundable deposit is due relatively soon ( it's 1500$). I also have 3 md interviews lined up which equate to about the same price. What would you do in a similar situation . Gamble the acceptance for the interviews or secure your spot( if money is a factor )?

1500$ isn't that much in DO term. So Secure the spot. If you don't get into any MD school, then you haven't lost a year of physician salary. We aren't getting any younger.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Member954786

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
53,214
77,654
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
A bird in the hand is worth....?

I am a re applicant and I got accepted to a DO school and the non refundable deposit is due relatively soon ( it's 1500$). I also have 3 md interviews lined up which equate to about the same price. What would you do in a similar situation . Gamble the acceptance for the interviews or secure your spot( if money is a factor )?
 

DrMidlife

has an opinion
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2006
7,506
2,601
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What's going to stress you out most?

Case 1: you throw out the interviews, take the DO seat, and spend the rest of your life wondering what would have happened at those interviews?
Case 2: you throw out the DO seat, go to the interviews, and have to be your very best self while carrying the burden of again having no idea whether you're going to med school or not?
Case 3: you find $1500 somewhere
 
  • Like
Reactions: Goro and LizzyM

TeddyBoomBoom

7+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2011
301
245
Williamstown, NJ
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
What's going to stress you out most?

Case 1: you throw out the interviews, take the DO seat, and spend the rest of your life wondering what would have happened at those interviews?
Case 2: you throw out the DO seat, go to the interviews, and have to be your very best self while carrying the burden of again having no idea whether you're going to med school or not?
Case 3: you find $1500 somewhere
100% this
 

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
18,915
4,162
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
I am a re applicant and I got accepted to a DO school and the non refundable deposit is due relatively soon ( it's 1500$). I also have 3 md interviews lined up which equate to about the same price. What would you do in a similar situation . Gamble the acceptance for the interviews or secure your spot( if money is a factor )?
In the whole scheme of how much your medical education will cost you, this is a drop in the bucket. And the security of having a guaranteed seat in a U.S med school is pretty sweet. So sure, go on a few more interviews if you want to keep your options open, but don't leave yourself potentially with nothing when you can have a sure thing. Think of that $1500 as an insurance policy if you like. And congrats on your acceptance. :cool:
 
  • Like
Reactions: touchpause13

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
4,531
2,358
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
1. Take the spot and know you are going to be a doctor for sure.
2. Don't take the spot, roll the dice, maybe get in somewhere else? Maybe not. Could end up reapplying next year and still never get an acceptance.

COMES DOWN TO HOW BAD DO YOU WANT TO BE A DOCTOR? You can always borrow the $$ and then pay that person back when you get your student loan check.
 

Instatewaiter

But... there's a troponin
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2006
6,072
2,137
Washington
Status
Attending Physician
I am a re applicant and I got accepted to a DO school and the non refundable deposit is due relatively soon ( it's 1500$). I also have 3 md interviews lined up which equate to about the same price. What would you do in a similar situation . Gamble the acceptance for the interviews or secure your spot( if money is a factor )?

Personally I think it's ridiculous DO schools charge you so much to hold a seat.

I think the reasonable thing is give the $1500 to the DO school. Go on the interviews and hope you get an acceptance. If you do, write off the 1500. If you don't you still have an acceptance. You'd be a fool to give up an acceptance for 1500 bucks
 

KGflyboy

5+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2012
279
124
Status
Why would it cost $1500 to attend the 3 MD interviews? Is it because you are factoring plane tickets and hotels into the cost of interviews?

I can't imagine dropping that much on interviews, although I know many people do. My point is that if the money is your deciding factor, you have alternatives. If you have a car, drive to interviews if possible. If you don't have a car, take a train or a bus. If you are worried about paying for a hotel, contact the school about staying with a current student instead of paying for a hotel room.

Although the convenience of flying and hotels are nice, you don't need them. I certainly wouldn't recommend letting a few amenities determine your interview participation.
 
Last edited:

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
4,531
2,358
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Why would it cost $1500 to attend the 3 MD interviews? Is it because you are factoring plane tickets and hotels into the cost of interviews?

I can't imagine dropping that much on interviews, although I know many people do. My point is that if the money is your deciding factor, you have alternatives. If you have a car, drive to interviews if possible. If you don't have a car, take a train or a bus. If you are worried about paying for a hotel, contact the school about staying with a current student instead of paying for a hotel room.

Although the convenience of flying and hotels are nice, you don't need them. I certainly wouldn't recommend letting a few amenities determine your interview participation.
Not everyone has the luxury of driving. When I went to my interview travel was from Fairbanks, AK to Erie, PA (10 day drive). Just the plane ticket alone was $800. Sometimes there is no way around it. Or if you live on the West coast and interview on the East coast, that alone is a 4-5 day drive. One of my physician friends told me once to use the BBS plan (beg, borrow, or steal) to get where you needed to be.
 

cabinbuilder

Urgent Care Physician
10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
4,531
2,358
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
I borrowed the 1500 to hold my spot, paid it back when the money came in.
 

KGflyboy

5+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2012
279
124
Status
Not everyone has the luxury of driving. When I went to my interview travel was from Fairbanks, AK to Erie, PA (10 day drive). Just the plane ticket alone was $800. Sometimes there is no way around it. Or if you live on the West coast and interview on the East coast, that alone is a 4-5 day drive. One of my physician friends told me once to use the BBS plan (beg, borrow, or steal) to get where you needed to be.
I realize there are exceptions. I don't think it's realistic to drive from AK to PA. That would be brutal. My suggestions are based off the limited info available. Hopefully the OP isn't that far from the interviews and can save a few bucks by not flying. I'm just trying to brainstorm ways for him to be able to pay the deposit AND go to the other interviews. I would have been willing to drive 1-2 days to get to an interview if necessary, which would have gotten me pretty much everywhere. Fortunately I didn't have to.

When I was in the OPs position, I wrote the check and canceled my other 2 interviews(only applied to 3). I think he will be disappointed if he doesn't give the other schools a shot though, so hopefully he can make the finances work.
 
OP
M
Sep 8, 2013
76
47
Status
Pre-Medical
Thank you to every one for your replies, I really appreciate them all... I paid the downpayment right before the deadline and then 2 days later got accepted to a different DO program I preferred, so I withdrew from the previous one. This is just a really expensive process, there is no escaping that. I'm borrowing $ for the upcoming MD interviews, I decided I just couldn't miss out on an opportunity that I have literally been dreaming about for years .
 

Gauss44

5+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2012
3,191
397
Status
Pre-Medical
Everyone should be a "chooser," even a "beggar." If you are not a chooser, many other people will take advantage of you and your kind to the fullest extent. Even if you have no desirable options, you usually still have options and a choice.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: Member954786

ulikedaggers

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
Jul 3, 2013
591
159
Status
Medical Student
Many people last cycle were able to get a 2-3 week extension on their DO deposits. If you end up being in this situation again (with your preferred school, for example) you should at least call them and see if they'll allow you to pay a week or two later. Say you don't have the funds or something though... not that you're holding out for an MD acceptance.
 
OP
M
Sep 8, 2013
76
47
Status
Pre-Medical
I wanted to give an update: the initial DO school elected to not cash in my downpayment since I informed them two days after I sent it in and they had not processed the check yet. It was pretty considerate on their part since it was technically a " non refundable" deposit.