begging to get in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matthew0126

Anaheim Angels
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i've been finished with the application process at all my schools but one: ucla, my #1 choice

apparently, it's going to take them a little bit longer to get decisions out.... do you guys think it'd be worth it to write a letter expressing my crush with the school and how much i want to go there? i think some people call these things "letters of intent?"

on the one hand, i can see how it could help you by letting them know you are enthusiastic
on the other hand, maybe it'll just annoy them? and i've already written about how much i loved ucla in my thank-you note

whaddya think? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If it's really your top choice, it can't hurt to do it. Get that sent out overnight! Keep it short and simple, and update them with your grades and stuff since you applied.

The strongest thing you can say is if they give you an acceptance, you will withdraw from all other medical schools. Technically this is almost a binding contract. I wonder how many schools get burnt by applicants not following what they say, but I still think it's the most firm statement you can make to a school.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey lizard, thanks for the input

do you think it should it be typed or written like the thank-you note?

matt

Since this is a more formal letter, typing it would be best. Also, what I did with Yale was input my grades and activities too...you just can't do it neatly with handwriting. If you have stationery, that's fine. If not, no big deal. As long as it's professional.

Usually this thing is reserved for if you're on the waitlist, but if you really really want to go somewhere it ups your chances before they make a single decision.

I would do it. It seems as this point, the chances of them interviewing you are slim, (though Im not sure when you were complete there) and I doubt the adcom is sitting there ready to send you an invite and then they recieve your letter theyre going to be like"oh lets take not invite him anymore" in my opinion you have nothing to loose, and youre in the favorable position that they have not stopped sending invites.

Good luck!

Would an email followed up by a formal letter be a good idea? Letters usually take forever to get seen.

thanks for the advice, nap

just to clarify though, i've already interviewed (waaaaaay back in december, jeez they are slow). anyways, i'm just thinking about writing the letter to help my chances of getting an acceptance hehe

sounds like a good idea

thanks for the help guys

•••quote:•••Originally posted by nap:
•I would do it. It seems as this point, the chances of them interviewing you are slim, (though Im not sure when you were complete there) and I doubt the adcom is sitting there ready to send you an invite and then they recieve your letter theyre going to be like"oh lets take not invite him anymore" in my opinion you have nothing to loose, and youre in the favorable position that they have not stopped sending invites.

Good luck!•••••

so thats even better! If they do end up waitlisting you anyway, you can always send reminder letters.

Goodluck!