Beginning Internship application process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sponge123

Reaction score
Anyone else feeling somewhat overwhelmed by this? I was hoping sites would reduce their minimum hour requirements (though I totally understand why they wouldn't want to) and that hasn't been the case based on what I've observed so far. Some sites say they will be flexible and others don't mention it at all. I'm wondering if it's still worth applying to the sites whose minimum hour requirement I will not meet by November (but could meet before the start of the program). I am primarily just venting but would appreciate the thoughts of those of you on the same boat :]

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else feeling somewhat overwhelmed by this? I was hoping sites would reduce their minimum hour requirements (though I totally understand why they wouldn't want to) and that hasn't been the case based on what I've observed so far. Some sites say they will be flexible and others don't mention it at all. I'm wondering if it's still worth applying to the sites whose minimum hour requirement I will not meet by November (but could meet before the start of the program). I am primarily just venting but would appreciate the thoughts of those of you on the same boat :]

A lot of sites haven't yet updated their info for this next cycle yet. That being said, we don't have any plans on changing our hour requirements as they are pretty low already.

Reactions: 1 users
Email and ask! When I was applying, I asked 2 sites. One said they look at the total application and I actually got an interview, and the other basically said “no” in so many words so I didn’t apply there.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of sites haven't yet updated their info for this next cycle yet. That being said, we don't have any plans on changing our hour requirements as they are pretty low already.

Well I am glad you said this. Half my sites have outdated info on their APPIC page, website, and brochure. So there isn't an official deadline that sites have to update their info by?

@sponge123 It sucks you're having trouble with the hours minimum. I imagine that your LORS could really help with the sell.

1596159950452.png

@psych.meout Thanks for sharing that! My DCT never knows anything, which is frustrating. Ok back to dissertating!

I am a TD and updating our web materials is number 8000163437 on a very long list.

Out of the 12 training directors I have spoken to in the past week, none have updated their materials for next year. Everyone is focused on figuring out how to train the current class during the pandemic. Emailing TDs is a great way to get more information, but you'll likely get a better response if give us some time and only email if you don't see information updated by the beginning of September.

I suspected that TD's are swamped right now and really didn't want to add one more email to the pile. Given everything going on I'm just grateful we're still having internships next year.

Reactions: 1 user
I remember my year was the year of hurricane sandy. I am a professional procrastinator, and had Sandy not happened, I would not have matched at my site, as they extended their deadline far enough out that I could get my app in (kind of a weird analogy for the totality of my life actually). Anyway, I mention this to say that I would be absolutely shocked if some form of consideration about everything that has happened does not occur.

I remember my year was the year of hurricane sandy. I am a professional procrastinator, and had Sandy not happened, I would not have matched at my site, as they extended their deadline far enough out that I could get my app in (kind of a weird analogy for the totality of my life actually). Anyway, I mention this to say that I would be absolutely shocked if some form of consideration about everything that has happened does not occur.

Most definitely, we'll look at the timeline here and be thoughtful of the 2020 mid-year to present time period. That being said, if I were an applicant, I would have used that extra time to try to hammer out a pub for consideration before internship. Curious to see how the time was used in apps.

Most definitely, we'll look at the timeline here and be thoughtful of the 2020 mid-year to present time period. That being said, if I were an applicant, I would have used that extra time to try to hammer out a pub for consideration before internship. Curious to see how the time was used in apps.

This is what I’m doing. I kept checking to see if sites had updated materials, etc., but just decided to stick with my prelim list, work on essays and write a crap ton until everything is updated and finalized.

This is what I’m doing. I kept checking to see if sites had updated materials, etc., but just decided to stick with my prelim list, work on essays and write a crap ton until everything is updated and finalized.

Yeah, your lists for where to apply should not change much, unless they're not offering an internship or anything next year, but that will be rare. Most places have been able to adjust, maybe with some small differences, and possibly not being able to offer certain rotations.

Reactions: 1 users