Beginning of M2 - too early to start freaking out about Step 1?

wh2k13

Black Sheep
7+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2011
USA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I bought a subscription to USMLE Rx during the start of M2 and have been doing some questions from the Q-bank, filtered to the stuff I covered last year in M1. I'm doing really bad (like 40-60%). Should I be freaking out now? Is this predictive of my Step 1 score when I take it later this year?

Donald Juan

7+ Year Member
May 22, 2011
GA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
It's not too early to start caring about step 1 and making game plans and figuring out how you are going to study for step while still preparing for your class tests, but it is way, waaaaaay too early to look at your percentage correct on a qbank and assume you are going to do bad. Everyone is going to suck at those questions at the beginning of M2, you haven't ever seen half the material before. Even people who finish m2 and start step studying suck at them because they've forgotten everything.

Reactions: Backtothebasics8

Syncrohnize

PGY-1
7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I bought a subscription to USMLE Rx during the start of M2 and have been doing some questions from the Q-bank, filtered to the stuff I covered last year in M1. I'm doing really bad (like 40-60%). Should I be freaking out now? Is this predictive of my Step 1 score when I take it later this year?

Omg, stop fishing for reassurance...if you want it, just ask. You know questions at this point is not a good indicator of your step 1 performance. A lot of those questions don't look integrative (across multiple organ systems) but actually are. To give some perspective, a gunner got UWorld in first year and encouraged us to do UWorld with him before our first physio exam at the beginning of first year and when we were doing the questions, we felt we knew the answers but got every question wrong with the last possible answer we picked being the right answer.

If I were you, I would skip Rx and just get right to UWorld. It's as much a learning tool as it is a assessment tool.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Jan 12, 2013
Status
Medical Student
It's not especially predictive since most of what is on Step 1 is covered in your M2 year. Also, I didn't particularly like USMLE rx when I used it. Once you study your stuff, it becomes very obvious what they're asking for. Unless they've drastically changed the way they ask questions, it doesn't mimic what the NBME does very well. Some of the answers were also wrong, so be careful. I agree with the previous poster in saying that UWorld is a good way to start studying for the Step 1 and you would do well to start a subscription at the beginning of your M2 year to study. I also used Kaplan which I thought asked a lot of esoteric questions, but was helpful in helping me learn. Don't worry too much about what the % is right now since you haven't covered any of the material... I would focus on the content and just try to learn from the questions. You can start freaking out when you are in your dedicated study period.

Nasrudin

Apropos of Nothing
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Absolutely not. Start freaking out and stay freaking out. Until you're full on PTSD symptomatic over the exam. Your step 1 score is The Determinant of your entire career and life. You're in a 1 year shawshank-sh!t-tunnel away from Derm in Santa Barbara Or Family Medicine in The Ozarks. You decide....

Last edited:

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Agree 100%. At the least start reviewing last year's material to see how much you've retained.

It's not too early to start caring about step 1 and making game plans and figuring out how you are going to study for step while still preparing for your class tests, but it is way, waaaaaay too early to look at your percentage correct on a qbank and assume you are going to do bad. Everyone is going to suck at those questions at the beginning of M2, you haven't ever seen half the material before. Even people who finish m2 and start step studying suck at them because they've forgotten everything.

Perfect Hair Day

Grapes of Wrath, Chocolate Ice Cream, Johnny Cash.
2+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2016
The Pit
Status
Medical Student
Not sure if this is too against the grain or not, but I think the first 2-3 months of M2 is a healthy time to start exploring your Step1 review resources, figuring out what you like and what you don't like, peppering in review of old material while still making current coursework the priority. In general, I think it's a good idea not to wait until dedicated to start studying for Step1. The sooner you have a good sense of what you can accomplish in terms of review per x amt. of time, and you know what resources you want to use, then and only then can you really put together a Step 1 study plan/schedule that you know you'll be able to stick to once you initiate it, be it in winter break, spring break, dedicated, whatever.

TL;DR - Beginning of M2 is a healthy time to start thinking about Step1 studying. Start poking around the step1 resources and figure out what you like and don't like.