Beginning prep for March 2012 MCAT, planning to apply Summer 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctosan

They call me the king
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Slightly non-traditional, after bouncing between different ideas (Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, etc), I finally decided to go for Medicine, and I have been working my butt of since the day I decided.

Stats:
IL resident, non-URM
Graduated with B.S. in Biology, ~2.6 gpa, dean's list first semester
- Retook all D's and F's and got B's
- Strong upward trend (all A's and B's last 3 semesters)

32 hour informal postbacc (comm college)
- 4.0 first semester
- 3.6 second semester
- should end up with a 4.0 this semester, making entire postbacc 3.8

Worked as medical technologist in two large hospitals
- Part time at one hospital for 4 years
- Full time at second hospital for past year while doing postbacc

Misc:
- Interested in PM&R (Sports Medicine) as well as Emergency Medicine
- Took up to AP Spanish in high school, still have conversational ability

Plan to apply to UIC, SIU, and Rosalind Franklin since I am an IL resident.
Plan to apply to a wide variety of DO schools, potential list is:

ATSU KCOM
ATSU Arizona
LECOM Erie
LECOM Brandenton
WVSOM
VCOM (used to live in Virginia for many years..may help?)
Touro (all)
NYIT
Nova
New England COM
Western University of Health Sciences

I recently acquired the entire Kaplan MCAT prep class textbook set from a friend, and also purchased a number of prep books online:

Examkrackers: Biology, Inorganic Chem, Organic Chem, Physics
Examkrackers 1001: Physics, Chemistry
Examkrackers 101 Verbal
Kaplan flashcards
Kaplan MCAT 45
Various sample test books

In a few weeks, I will begin some hardcore MCAT prep; I am treating this process as if I will only do it once, so I am going all out. My plan is to take a diagnostic test to see what my greatest weaknesses are, and then tailor my plan accordingly.

Due to work schedule, I cannot take a formal MCAT class. I am trying to make my plan similar to the 3 month "Breaking down the MCAT" plan.

Also, I haven't registered for the MCAT yet...should I get on that? I don't know how fast the exams fill up.

Any advice regarding the MCAT as well as schools to apply to, or just general application advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Add some sort of volunteering for a few hours a week?

Slightly non-traditional, after bouncing between different ideas (Pharmacy, Physical Therapy, etc), I finally decided to go for Medicine, and I have been working my butt of since the day I decided.

Stats:
IL resident, non-URM
Graduated with B.S. in Biology, ~2.6 gpa, dean's list first semester
- Retook all D's and F's and got B's
- Strong upward trend (all A's and B's last 3 semesters)

32 hour informal postbacc (comm college)
- 4.0 first semester
- 3.6 second semester
- should end up with a 4.0 this semester, making entire postbacc 3.8

Worked as medical technologist in two large hospitals
- Part time at one hospital for 4 years
- Full time at second hospital for past year while doing postbacc

Misc:
- Interested in PM&R (Sports Medicine) as well as Emergency Medicine
- Took up to AP Spanish in high school, still have conversational ability

Plan to apply to UIC, SIU, and Rosalind Franklin since I am an IL resident.
Plan to apply to a wide variety of DO schools, potential list is:

ATSU KCOM
ATSU Arizona
LECOM Erie
LECOM Brandenton
WVSOM
VCOM (used to live in Virginia for many years..may help?)
Touro (all)
NYIT
Nova
New England COM
Western University of Health Sciences

I recently acquired the entire Kaplan MCAT prep class textbook set from a friend, and also purchased a number of prep books online:

Examkrackers: Biology, Inorganic Chem, Organic Chem, Physics
Examkrackers 1001: Physics, Chemistry
Examkrackers 101 Verbal
Kaplan flashcards
Kaplan MCAT 45
Various sample test books

In a few weeks, I will begin some hardcore MCAT prep; I am treating this process as if I will only do it once, so I am going all out. My plan is to take a diagnostic test to see what my greatest weaknesses are, and then tailor my plan accordingly.

Due to work schedule, I cannot take a formal MCAT class. I am trying to make my plan similar to the 3 month "Breaking down the MCAT" plan.

Also, I haven't registered for the MCAT yet...should I get on that? I don't know how fast the exams fill up.

Any advice regarding the MCAT as well as schools to apply to, or just general application advice would be greatly appreciated!
What are your AACOMAS GPAs with grade replacement and postbac included? What are your AMCAS GPAs with postbac included in the undergrad GPA?
What is the plan for formal physician shadowing?
I agree that some nonmedical community service is a necessary addition. Surely you can give an hour a week (on average) to a cause you care about? (More would be better.)
What about Leadership, teaching, and/or hobbies, sports, and artistic endeavors?
Research?

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your AACOMAS GPAs with grade replacement and postbac included? What are your AMCAS GPAs with postbac included in the undergrad GPA?

Need to calculate that, will post shortly

What is the plan for formal physician shadowing?
Is that really required?

I agree that some nonmedical community service is a necessary addition. Surely you can give an hour a week (on average) to a cause you care about? (More would be better.)
Need to fit that in somewhere...

What about Leadership, teaching, and/or hobbies, sports, and artistic endeavors?
Research?
I plan to become a volunteer tutor at my cc if possible. I play a few sports/work out as well.

Is that really required?
Shadowing requirements are posted on some school's websites, (and some DO schools require a DO LOR), but most expect it regardless. Some schools won't care. Do you want to give any school an excuse to pass you by? The average is 50 hours split among several specialties, including primary care. It need not be a regular activity and could be done over breaks.

DO schools needing DO recommendation: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=10677&d=1217108730

Wow epic fail, no wonder nobody was replying. Any way to change it?
You could PM a mod. They have the power to change a thread title.

Shadowing requirements are posted on some school's websites, (and some DO schools require a DO LOR), but most expect it regardless. Some schools won't care. Do you want to give any school an excuse to pass you by? The average is 50 hours split among several specialties, including primary care. It need not be a regular activity and could be done over breaks.

DO schools needing DO recommendation: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=10677&d=1217108730

You could PM a mod. They have the power to change a thread title.

Thanks for the info....gotta find a DO to shadow...