Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

beginning residency thoughts

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by neo3777, Dec 18, 2008.

1. neo3777

neo3777 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

so im half way through 3rd year and have no idea where to begin in terms of deciding where i would want to do residency and what factors i should be looking into when making such decision. the ovbious ones that everyone repeats are the following
    -choosing between a large academic institution and community based hospitals
    -how happy residents are working there
    -the research oppurtunties and resources that particular institution has

i realize that i have tons of time until fellowship, but what is everyone's thoughts about doing residency at the same institution you plan to do the fellowship at? i have heard both sides- some say DOs have a harder time getting fellowships than MDs and therefore suggest doing residency at the same place as fellowship, while others state that felloswship programs are more likely to want fresh residents for their programs that did not attend their native institution medicine residencies.

any thoughts? any book suggestions that are good for gaining perspective about this process?

p.s. if this information is in some previous thread, just forward the link below in this link or PM it to me :)

#1 neo3777, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. McSnappy

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Careers in Medicine is one place to start. Your counseling center should have some log on info that you need in order to use the whole site. But, if you really are doing some soul searching, this might be a place to check out. http://www.aamc.org/students/cim/

And the D.O. fellowship is harder to get is mostly BS and a chip you are trying to build for no reason. They will be looking more at how well you did during your residency. I also do believe it is easier at most institutions to get a fellowship at said institute, b/c you have been establishing contacts with those responsible for making the decision to getting you into one/theirs. How do begin to covet? We see it everyday.
    At our institution / allopathic (I'm allopathic), there were 200 apps / 20 interviews / 2 spots for cards and one was DO and the other MD.

:luck:

#2 McSnappy, Dec 18, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  4. dozitgetchahi

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I don't think he's "trying to build a chip" to begin with; he's simply asking a question based on some rumors/information he's heard from others. Why the snarkiness?