BEGINNING to workout in med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labrat50

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy!

Soo I start med school soon, and I've also recently decided it's time to start working out and building some muscle. As of now, I am clueless in the weight room and feel there were definitely be a learning curve before I get comfortable in the gym.

I've heard it can be hard for some to continue working out in med school, so my question is, do you guys think it would be wise to start lifting now? I want to do my best in school, but I also want to progress and feel good about going to the gym? Anyone else start doing both and managed well?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm starting school soon as well, but I say yes to working out now. It's an excellent way to get in/stay in shape AND de-stress. If you're a beginner and don't want to be overwhelmed, just look up correct form/technique for a handful of simple exercises. Maybe choose a few that target you're upper and lower body and try them out. If you become familiar with them now, then you won't have to worry about being overwhelmed by them during medical school (when you'll have more important things to worry about).

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/
Here is a list of exercises and all of them (I believe) have short videos that demonstrate the movement. The site also has some articles that recommends workout plans to use as well as forums.

Maybe we can get some current med students to comment but, a few of my buddies who are in med school say working out does wonders for mental health. I'd start doing a basic split like back/bi, chest/shoulder/tri, abs/lower back, and some cardio. It will be a great habit to build and will serve to release some stress in the future.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was always into fitness and was huge into bodybuilding back in highschool. Bulked up got all muscley and strong as hell for someone my age. Now I just lift to keep some muscle tone and love to run.

Its probably one of the best things you can do for yourself. Do it.

Maybe we can get some current med students to comment but, a few of my buddies who are in med school say working out does wonders for mental health. I'd start doing a basic split like back/bi, chest/shoulder/tri, abs/lower back, and some cardio. It will be a great habit to build and will serve to release some stress in the future.

Lots of research suggests physical exercise is great for mental health!!

How you get such can vary but a good rule of thumb is what is good for your heart is good for your brain.

Where are your legs?

Highly recommend this routine: http://scoobysworkshop.com/intermediate-workout-plan/

I've followed it for a while and have seen great progress. Everything on his site has great info and he doesn't try to sell you anything.

I know this is kind of an expensive option, but I joined a crossfit about 2 year ago and love it!

I am a girl and always felt a little awkward lifting weights in the gym, especially around huge men, but crossfit eliminates all that, and there is always a trainer to show you how to do the proper movements and to make sure you're safe.

It's really liberating and has made me feel so much more confident. I'm only 5'0", but I can throw some big weight now around with the best of them! Cool party trick :)

So I started lifting about a month into med school and it's become one of my favorite hobbies. For reference, I think I now go to the gym more in one month during med school than I did throughout all of undergrad and high school combined. It's totally doable - you have time at your disposal; you just have to prioritize, and if going to the gym is a priority, you will be able to make time for it.

I have gained nearly 25 pounds of muscle in med school by eating a lot and having both short term and long term goals, as well as making sure I make it to the gym 3-4 times/week.

If you've never lifted before, I highly recommend doing at least 2 months of starting strength (read this whole article - the routines are at the bottom if you click on the days http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength) because it incorporates a lot of compound lifts that will pack slabs of muscle onto your body if you do them consistently and eat a lot. One of the biggest mistakes that I (and others I know) made in college was do only isolation exercises (bicep curls, etc) which really aren't going to actually make you bigger or really improve your overall fitness. They're fine to supplement your routine with after a while, but if you're just starting, stick to the big compound lifts and make sure your form never falters. Start at low weights and work your way up (if you follow the article's recommended workout, you'll be going up in weight very quickly).

After you get comfortable (i.e. several months in), you can start mixing it up a bit. But the most important things are that you 1) go to the gym and 2) eat. You will see results if you do those two things.

Also, keep track of your progress. Not only is it a useful endeavor, but it's also gratifying to see how far you've progressed.

Sorry if this was a bit too detailed or not what you're looking for, but I just wanted to share that what you want to do is totally possible and a great idea!

There's a powerlifting thread in the lounge (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/powerlifting.620621/) so definitely stop by!

If you are interested in anything more specific, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Reactions: 2 users
I've been lifting for about 6 years, and it has done wonders for me, both physically and mentally. The body is like a machine: the more you oil it and improve it, the more efficient it'll be. This results in terms of energy, confidence, and healthy life choices. Anyways, it's never too late to start working out!

Some pointers: start off with bodyweight exercises such as pushups, lunges, squats, pullups (work your way up to these), and crunches. If you master the basic bodyweight exercises, you'll have a strong base and will strengthen your joints and tendons (prevents future injuries!) before you hit the weighted exercises. Then, move onto compound lifts such as squats (below parallel), bench press, bent-over row, shoulder press, dips, and chinups/pullups. Youtube and bodybuilding.com have great videos to show you proper form.

For the first couple of weeks, you'll probably be tired due to soreness the next couple of days or even a week after a workout. However, as long as you eat snacks and optimal levels of protein throughout the day, you'll have energy to study and will recover faster. Over time, your body will learn to recover faster, and you will notice your energy and focus, in general, increases. Just take it slow and don't over exercise in the beginning, or you will be super tired the next day. Sleeping is crucial so always make it a priority. This is all from experience. If you want any advice, feel free to message me. Happy lifting!

Howdy!

Soo I start med school soon, and I've also recently decided it's time to start working out and building some muscle. As of now, I am clueless in the weight room and feel there were definitely be a learning curve before I get comfortable in the gym.

I've heard it can be hard for some to continue working out in med school, so my question is, do you guys think it would be wise to start lifting now? I want to do my best in school, but I also want to progress and feel good about going to the gym? Anyone else start doing both and managed well?

Remember to go to the gym in a wheel chair so you don't lose gains via cardio.

Reactions: 11 users
Squats, Bench Press, Shoulder press, pull-ups, deadlifts.

Do as many as you can with good form and eat like a savage.

Throw in the occasional curls for the gurls and dips for the chicks when you feel like it.

Get big son.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just use Stronglifts for now. The app is free. The website is detailed. When you've been doing that for a while, you'll have a better idea of what you want to achieve and can adjust from there.

Start now, continue forever! Honestly there is time in med school. The first two months can be overwhelming but it's totally do-able, especially if you're efficient with your exercises. You might consider treating yourself to 2-3 personal training sessions to learn proper form on the lifts, then you can continue to read and educate yourself, but you'll have a baseline so you can do something while continuing to learn (and not get injured). And don't forget to do legs!

I know this is kind of an expensive option, but I joined a crossfit about 2 year ago and love it!

I am a girl and always felt a little awkward lifting weights in the gym, especially around huge men, but crossfit eliminates all that, and there is always a trainer to show you how to do the proper movements and to make sure you're safe.

It's really liberating and has made me feel so much more confident. I'm only 5'0", but I can throw some big weight now around with the best of them! Cool party trick :)

Have you seen this video? ;)

Reactions: 3 users
So I started lifting about a month into med school and it's become one of my favorite hobbies. For reference, I think I now go to the gym more in one month during med school than I did throughout all of undergrad and high school combined. It's totally doable - you have time at your disposal; you just have to prioritize, and if going to the gym is a priority, you will be able to make time for it.

I have gained nearly 25 pounds of muscle in med school by eating a lot and having both short term and long term goals, as well as making sure I make it to the gym 3-4 times/week.

If you've never lifted before, I highly recommend doing at least 2 months of starting strength (read this whole article - the routines are at the bottom if you click on the days http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength) because it incorporates a lot of compound lifts that will pack slabs of muscle onto your body if you do them consistently and eat a lot. One of the biggest mistakes that I (and others I know) made in college was do only isolation exercises (bicep curls, etc) which really aren't going to actually make you bigger or really improve your overall fitness. They're fine to supplement your routine with after a while, but if you're just starting, stick to the big compound lifts and make sure your form never falters. Start at low weights and work your way up (if you follow the article's recommended workout, you'll be going up in weight very quickly).

After you get comfortable (i.e. several months in), you can start mixing it up a bit. But the most important things are that you 1) go to the gym and 2) eat. You will see results if you do those two things.

Also, keep track of your progress. Not only is it a useful endeavor, but it's also gratifying to see how far you've progressed.

Sorry if this was a bit too detailed or not what you're looking for, but I just wanted to share that what you want to do is totally possible and a great idea!

There's a powerlifting thread in the lounge (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/powerlifting.620621/) so definitely stop by!

If you are interested in anything more specific, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Thanks for sharing this! Do you or anyone else have a site in terms of food recommendations, like a plan etc? I think that's the biggest problem for me is food choices and there's so much out there! Meal prep is the worst. I've done it in college because I had a budget but my meals weren't meant to bulk. They were just so I can be full and not hungry, lol.

Thanks for sharing this! Do you or anyone else have a site in terms of food recommendations, like a plan etc? I think that's the biggest problem for me is food choices and there's so much out there! Meal prep is the worst. I've done it in college because I had a budget but my meals weren't meant to bulk. They were just so I can be full and not hungry, lol.

I just started using a high calorie protein shake (700 calories w/o milk, 800ish with) after every workout in addition to making sure I ate breakfast every day. It'll start adding up pretty quickly.

As far as shakes go, you can't beat Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard Whey series. I like drinking whey within an hour after working out and Casein at night before going to bed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

too bad about pcoms gym. its like a closet no room for that lol.

too bad about pcoms gym. its like a closet no room for that lol.

Sarcasm? The sixers practice there! It's pretty nice IMO.

I joined a crossfit anyway though lol

Howdy!

Hey, how has your experience been so far? I hope that you have been able to start and maintain an exercise routine in school. It can certainly be done in medical school and even in residency. (I am currently an OBGYN resident). First and foremost, develop habits that will help you get to the gym no matter what. You don't have to go crazy, 2-3x a week at first is more than enough and 30 minute sessions is also sufficient. Start slow and go very light and use compound exercise. The benefits of exercise are unspeakable. I think it's extremely important to keep your mind sharp and your mood high during medical school and residency!

I think making simple choices are going to be your friend during med school/residency. Keep rotating the same major food groups and try to eat as much lean protein and heathy fats as possible. Only drink water and always pack snacks (nuts, nut butter sandwiches, high protein high (healthy) fat bars.

Meal prepping also helps a ton in residency. The upfront investment is big (spending a couple of hours on the weekend to prep) but the benefits are huge. I have meal prepped for two years in residency and my eating habits have never been better. It takes away the pain of buying and selecting random foods to order or buy from the cafeteria for breakfast, lunch and snacks.

Don't forget, the best diet is the one you will follow. Create a routine that is sustainable for you!

1) It's never too late to start working out.
2) Students who say they don't have time to workout in med school is most likely not dedicated to it so it's always on the very bottom of their to-do list.
3) I second starting strength--the workouts are tailored to the largest group muscles so it's an effective way to bulk up as an amateur lifter.

Howdy!

You should workout for sure. I exercised 5 days a week in med school and did well in school. In residency you'll probably lose most of everything you gained, however. Then you'll end up weak and fat like most physicians.

This is one of the best things you can start doing. It will help you destress, it is healthy, it has proven to augment memory retention, it will improve your posture and it will mitigate the horrible effects that sitting down for way too long (like is required in med school) does for you. It is never too late to start working out.

As for being a beginner, don't worry about it too much, we all were beginners at some point. If you have the option of getting a plan from a personal trainer and having him shadow you a bit to make sure that you have good form than definitely do it. If you do not or just rather not here are some tips; stick with big compound exercises (can be with weights or body weight), start slow with good form (emphasis on good form and not on weight), work endurance and build your core muscles.

hope this helps.