Behavioral Neuroscience Majors Unite!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j306c954

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any fellow neuroscience (not psychology) majors out there applying this cycle? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Right here! :)
Woohoo! I really feel this gives us a good advantage because of the heavy emphasis on research. My curriculum also required a lot of graduate level classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm but not applying this cycle :p

Also I don't think it's as useful right now as it will be with the new MCAT.

I'm but not applying this cycle :p

Also I don't think it's as useful right now as it will be with the new MCAT.

While I already took the MCAT, I totally agree. We will definitely have s one up on all the psychology/stats stuff

While I already took the MCAT, I totally agree. We will definitely have s one up on all the psychology/stats stuff

I was looking at the MCAT Behavioral Sciences section, and a lot of the biological material was either things I saw in my Intro to Neuro class or Intro to Psych class--all very familiar, although I'm curious as to how questions are going to be asked on the actual exam.

Not actually applying yet, but Neuro all the way!

I envy this thread! Not a neuroscience major, but might as well help make the thread more lively:

What made you guys go into the field?
Is everyone planning to go into a neuro-related field after med school (Neurology, Neuro-surg, Psych)? If not, what motivated you to not?

I envy this thread! Not a neuroscience major, but might as well help make the thread more lively:

I thought the brain was pretty cool when I started undergrad, and I can't switch majors now and still graduate in a reasonable time frame.

Is everyone planning to go into a neuro-related field after med school (Neurology, Neuro-surg, Psych)? If not, what motivated you to not?

Nope, my classes have sucked away any interest I have in the field.

I was interested in learning more about the biology behind mental disorders, drug addiction, and the like. I started off thinking bio or chem, but ultimately chose neuro. I did question my choice when I had to take a biophysics and cellular modeling course since we had to try to model calcium dynamics within a cell....However, here I am taking a gap year so I can research in a neuroscience lab as opposed to my previous experience in a gametogenesis lab!

I am interested in pursuing neurology, but I will be keeping an open mind when it comes to selecting a specialty!

I love science AND psychology so I get the best of both worlds with neuroscience :) I think it would be interesting to learn the physical and psychological aspects of the nervous system. I don't plan to go into a neuro-related field after med school, I'm interested in Emergency medicine...mostly from what I've seen on tv which I know isn't always the best reason to go into a field, that's why I'm looking like CRAZY for some shadowing/volunteer opportunities to see what it's really like in the emergency room.

I'm a psychology major, but I really like both psych and neuro and have taken a few neuro related classes.

FutureDocInDaHouse93 said:
I love science AND psychology so I get the best of both worlds with neuroscience I think it would be interesting to learn the physical and psychological aspects of the nervous system. I don't plan to go into a neuro-related field after med school, I'm interested in Emergency medicine.
Neuroscience is a booming field. There was just a data driven genetic study of schizophrenia that determined it is pretty much 8 separate diseases (based on etiology at least). I understand the patient population isn't for everyone, but if you're turned off by the treatments I would definitely look to the future.

Attachments

• upload_2014-9-25_13-16-48.png
    upload_2014-9-25_13-16-48.png
    95 bytes · Views: 57
I'm a psychology major, but I really like both psych and neuro and have taken a few neuro related classes.

Neuroscience is a booming field. There was just a data driven genetic study of schizophrenia that determined it is pretty much 8 separate diseases (based on etiology at least). I understand the patient population isn't for everyone, but if you're turned off by the treatments I would definitely look to the future.

The attachment didn't open...

The link between biology and personality/behavior is so interesting to me! I also took a lot of Sociology. I think it's cool to see how a person's genes and culture/environment mold them and change how they act and think.

I'm interested in so many things. Neurology is one of them, in addition to family medicine and maybe oncology. Neurosurgery is definitely not for me. I'd much rather run around like a chicken with my head cut off than have to stand in one place for many hours. Plus, I sincerely doubt I have the coordination for surgery.

Reviving this thread because neuroscience is becoming an increasingly popular major. I'm starting to also get the sneaking suspicion that it's growing harder to get into, but that's just me (really, I have no idea!!!).

Personally, I knew I liked psych but I also wanted to get a life sciences background because I really wanted to know why things happened in the brain and whether it could explain why we do things. Four years later and...eh...I'm not much closer to getting the answers to certain questions. But I've learned a whole lot about the biology of the nervous system (not just the brain), and the core requirements fit really well with the pre-med reqs. I think another part of me just wanted to challenge myself to see whether I really could understand the nervous system in all of its fabulous intricacies, which, looking back on it, might not have been the best reason for me to choose it.

I am thinking about a neuro-related field, in part based on my major and finding an aspect of it that interested me. But neuroscience is so much more than just neurological and psychiatric medicine, so I don't think that people who do neuro should think that's the ONLY way to go.