Behind in taking premed classes. Need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jennyollio

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a sophomore in college and a biopsychology major and plan to go to med school. The problem is that I've only taken bio I and II so far and I'll be a junior in the fall. Right now I plan to take Chem I and II over the summer so I can take organic in the fall along with calc. But I'm seeing that you should take the MCATs the end of junior year and I still will not even have touched physics.

So first question: is it necessary to take a calculus based physics? If not, would I be killing myself to take physics in the fall? (I'll be taking it along with orgo, calc, and psych stats, and possibly another psych course, and knowing math is not really my strongest subject). I'm really worried about what to do, along with the fact I really need to find some kind of experience like shadowing. I don't live near a teaching hospital so does anyone know if other hospitals would allow me to shadow? I feel like I'm so behind in the process of preparing. Please help!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There's really no rush. Take your classes at a pace that will allow you to excel in them. If this means taking a 5th year, or taking a couple of the last premed classes during a year off after you graduate, then that's totally cool. Most people on here will actually recommend taking some time off.

Hello! Don't worry...You don't HAVE to take your MCAT in your Junior year... that's just recommended to you if you're trying to graduate undergrad in four years and go right to med school. If you don't mind graduating in five years or having some time between graduating undergrad and med school (that is, a year) then you're fine.

I don't think anyone would recommend that you take the MCAT before you've covered all the basics. If you're not ready, then you're not ready.

I'll leave it to someone else as to whether calculus-based physics is best for the MCAT, but my advisor said it didn't matter, so I took the easier one. And it was not the road less travelled by other premeds, I can tell you that.

For shadowing, talk to your doctor and see if either s/he will allow it or can recommend someone. Outside of that, you may have to go "door to door" in local practices and see who will be willing to take you.

You should also start volunteering at a clinic/hospital/practice, if you haven't already. Most places just ask for four hours a week, which is definitely doable for most schedules. You can just talk to their Volunteer department and they'll guide you through the process.

Any other questions and your premed advisor should be able to help you.

check your pre-med advisors on campus or join the pre-med clubs for opportunities to volunteer and shadow. Every school that I know has something along that lines.

As for classes, just take the MCAT your senior year and apply after you graduate. Most people I know take a year or two off after school to work and improve their applications with research or just taking a break. All my friends who went into med school right after graduating pretty have hated life because its been non-stop. Just their opinions though.