Being a broke college student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bringinit247

one of the millions...
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the lifestyle of a pharm. student in his/her mid 20s who is financing their education through loans? I would imagine that there's alot of penny-pinching for items like food, rent, and clothes...Is it really hard to get by?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need to eat 6 for 99 cent ramen noodles for breakfast lunch and dinner ;) I made myself a budget, and only took out enough of a loan my first year to get by. By the start of my second year, I had already acquired a paid internship, and scaled back on my loan request.

It depends on how much you take out in loans, and whether or not you work as an intern while in school. This ability to work while in school is a benefit of being a pharm student, and is something you can do to avoid having to buy your clothing at thrift shops and food at the 99 cent store...not like there's anything wrong with that. I think I live pretty well for a student.

...and should you decide to go to NVCP, don't gamble. ;)

you have to watch your money.. but its not horrible.. i think its better to take out more loans now.. and worry about the paying them off when you graduate..

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so f%*kin' @ss broke it's indescribable!!! But, that's bc of reckless spending for the last zillion years and two long-distance GFs (plane tix and then one of them was before free LD cell phone plans) I digress......

You can live pretty okay. If you're willing to intern (which you should do anyway, fortunately SC makes you.) Learn how to grocery shop (i'm still workin out the kinks on that) Pick a couple days where you're gonna eat for really cheep (spaghetti-os night) and forego a wknd splurge once in a while. One rowdy wknd can be the cost of a textbook.

At any rate, do as i say, not as i do:(

speaking of being broke, could anybody tell me how much is tuition for Loma Linda, and what is the required deposit should I get accepted? I looked all over on the web, and I can't seem to locate the info

I would imagine it's competitive w/the other cali privates, so about $25K/yr. I'm confident you can find out if you called the school.

yeah...save money by asking mom to cook me food for the week.

Yes!!
I just balanced my checkbook today! I officially have negative $50! Because of my move to SF, my financial aid won't be here for about 5 more weeks. Hmm, who will be the lucky recipient of a rubber check? So much for that grocery shopping that I was planning to do. So...everyone please come to the garage sale on Turk Blvd. this week. I'll be selling everything cheap.:) :(
Officially a college student again,
jason