Being a dentist in Florida compared to Michigan

Discussion in 'Dental' started by UofM01, May 3, 2002.

1. UofM01

UofM01 Senior Member

I currently reside in Michigan and have plans to go to dental school in Florida. My question is what types of hurdles will I have to jump in order to come back and practice here in Michigan. I know I have to take the NERB..but does that mean I will be graded any differently? I plan on taking the Florida exam and the state exam as well. If anyone can shed some light on this I would really appreciate it. Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gryffindor

Dentist

Dentist
    I'm not too sure how it works in Florida, but when you take the NERBs, it will have to be in a state where they offer the NERB. You'll either have to find patients in that state or bring them up from your patients in Florida. I don't know what the specifics of the Florida exam is, one senior who is taking it said she had to do endo on an extracted two rooted premolar, which you don't have to do on the NERB. The NERB makes you do endo on a plastic central incisor. The seniors who are taking the NERB at my school (pretty much all of them) are practicing the three unit provisional bridge like its their job every free moment they have. The school also cracked down on the seniors two years ago and forces them to practice a lot to ensure they don't have ridiculously high failure rates. So I'm guessing the three unit provisional must be the difficult part of the NERB. NERB does also have a written component, but I hear that it is pretty similar to the NBDE II.
    I am being a NERB patient for a senior on Tuesday, so when I learn more about the process, I'll keep you updated.

4. UofM01

UofM01 Senior Member

Hey thanks! I was looking for a student who has been in a similar situation or even better in a exact situation. I appreciate your reply though.