being a part time student right before the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothbrush

lalalala
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys I'm considering to take the DAT during may. next year but dunno whether I should just take one class(microbio) and prepare for the test. Would it look really bad to be a part time student for a semester? And would it also look bad if I have 88 crdits when applying? Did anybody take some time off or make some extra time to study for the DAT? help!

Members don't see this ad.

hi guys I'm considering to take the DAT during may. next year but dunno whether I should just take one class(microbio) and prepare for the test. Would it look really bad to be a part time student for a semester? And would it also look bad if I have 88 crdits when applying? Did anybody take some time off or make some extra time to study for the DAT? help!

My DAT study time came between working a full time job and taking two courses. I had already graduated though and was just taking a couple classes to boost my GPA. I don't think studying for the DAT should prevent you from taking a few more courses. Lots of people study for the DAT while taking a full course load and manage to do well. Only you know your own abilities though.

My DAT study time came between working a full time job and taking two courses. I had already graduated though and was just taking a couple classes to boost my GPA. I don't think studying for the DAT should prevent you from taking a few more courses. Lots of people study for the DAT while taking a full course load and manage to do well. Only you know your own abilities though.
Same thing for me. The DAT is different though as it can get into your head and eat up all your time. You can study and study forever for that thing, and it can really worry you. Just treat it like any other test, and set a date. Don't change that date, just shoot for it and be ready. I don't think you need to drop to one class, but if you feel you need to, then do it and take more classes in the summer or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same thing for me. The DAT is different though as it can get into your head and eat up all your time. You can study and study forever for that thing, and it can really worry you. Just treat it like any other test, and set a date. Don't change that date, just shoot for it and be ready. I don't think you need to drop to one class, but if you feel you need to, then do it and take more classes in the summer or something.

What about taking micro biology and genetics lab? tha'll be 2classes and wont take up too much time for me. It'll take pretty much time for me studying for the DAT since english is my second language. If I take 2 classes, I'll end up with 89 credits and most schools offer 90credits? Even though I can graduate before 2008 fall do I still have to take summer classes to make it 90credits?? I'll really appreciate it for replying my message.:love:

I don't think it looks bad to be a part-time student, it just doesn't look good in my opinion either. Dental schools are looking for students that can handle rigorous course loads since that is what your first 2 years is all about. Taking only 2-3 classes isn't necessarily bad, it's just not good either in my opinion. That can all change depending on how you do on your DAT. If you do really well, it might be overlooked that you were a part-time student, but if you don't it could leave a scar on your application. I would just go with what you think you can handle, but also realize the possibilities with whatever decision you make. I know it can seem overwhelming with studying for the DAT and taking several classes, but it can be done. Also, don't let genetics lab fool you. At my university, genetics lab eats up a lot of time because of our semester long fruit fly experiment. Hope that helps!

one thing they look at is your course load when evaluating a gpa progression.

Taking only micro doesn't look good, and it looks worse if you only do average on the DAT. I took 20 credits and studied for a month before taking the DAT.