Being a student during interview season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

What if say someone is applying for Fall 2019 admission but they plan on taking classes Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 semesters, how do students who are enrolled schedule interviews if they are invited for one? Also with doing secondaries while in school?

Members don't see this ad.

What if say someone is applying for Fall 2019 admission but they plan on taking classes Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 semesters, how do students who are enrolled schedule interviews if they are invited for one? Also with doing secondaries while in school?

I did exactly this, and preparation is key! Here's what I did

• Send in my primary app on June 1st
  • Using the previous years information, I pre-wrote all of my secondaries in the month of June.
  • Come July 1st, I get all 23 secondaries in about a 2 week period. Maybe a few changes, but I had to rewrite almost nothing. Then you wait.
  • For school, I took courses that were two days a week, and specifically chose my electives to be on the same two days. So I had 3 days with no classes that I used for my interviewing pleasure.
Let me know if I can help.

Reactions: 2 users

• Using the previous years information, I pre-wrote all of my secondaries in the month of June.
  • Come July 1st, I get all 23 secondaries in about a 2 week period. Maybe a few changes, but I had to rewrite almost nothing. Then you wait.
  • For school, I took courses that were two days a week, and specifically chose my electives to be on the same two days. So I had 3 days with no classes that I used for my interviewing pleasure.
Are medical schools flexible with interview invites to those who are enrolled in classes? Like same with class professors if you tell them?

Members don't see this ad :)
Different medical schools have different policies. Some give you a whole range of days to choose from. Other give you 2-3 days and make you squirm. But you aren't special because you are in classes. You have to play the game just like those who have work or are traveling.

I was forced to drop a class because I had too many interviews. So it depends on the professor.

Reactions: 1 users
Most people who apply are either students or working, you just have figure it out like everyone else.

Reactions: 5 users
It is the rare (and fortunate) undergraduate who has so many interview invitations that it causes problems with their coursework.

When you get your first interview invitation, speak to your professors, tell them about your interview, and ask to reschedule anything that conflicts. If you ask to be notified of any assignments early enough to complete it and turn it in early (vs. late) it'll be hard for them to refuse. (This is where having good relationships with your professors comes in handy.)

As has been suggested, to the extent you can, schedule your classes for fewer days -- though if your interviews are on those dates, you're still SOL. And take your most important/difficult classes during other semesters. If you can, also arrange it so you can drop a class, if worse comes to worst.

Reactions: 3 users
If you can take general classes (history, English, etc) online, that would help. Otherwise, try for classes crammed into only two days.

I'd say Friday is the best day to have off. Many schools have Friday interviews.

So u think it be smart to only prewrite secondaries only after submitting primaries? Or after I get my McAt results back and know for sure what schools I will apply to?

So u think it be smart to only prewrite secondaries only after submitting primaries? Or after I get my McAt results back and know for sure what schools I will apply to?
The latter. Only when you know for sure which schools you’ll apply to. If not, then it’d be a waste of time or you might not give it your all because “maybe I won’t apply here.”

Honestly, when you're done with your MCAT, it's a great time to get started. It will keep you distracted from the anxiety of waiting for your score, and you're still in grind-mode. Before you even know your score or where you will apply, you can work on the questions that make up the bulk of all secondary applications (aim for 1500 characters, and then you can trim down as needed):

(1) How are you diverse or how will you contribute to the class diversity?
(2) Describe a time when you overcame adversity? / Are you disadvantaged? / What have been the challenges in your life?
(3) How have you contributed to the common good?
(4) Describe a time when you've demonstrated Sustained Effort / Teamwork / Leadership.
(5) What are your plans during your application year / What are your current activities?
(6) Explain any inconsistencies in your academic performance and/or MCAT scores, or other "red flags"

If you've really polished these essays by the time your score is released, you will be able to hit the ground running.

Reactions: 1 user
You may end up in a situation where an exam conflicts with interview.

First, ask the professor and explain the situation.

If the professor says no (which a small
minority will), ask the school to make an accomadation.

It’s extremely rare that BOTH the professor and the adcom will say no. After all, professors understand that the point of going to college as a pre med is to prepare yourself for medical school. And medical schools understand that they can’t force you to take a zero on an exam.

Some schools give you the option to pick weekend dates too. I did my interviews on most Fridays or Saturdays.

Also applying while you’re still an undergrad is doable. I have done it and so have my friends. It just takes planning.

Well, you are in control of your life so it's okay to skip class once in a while. Clearly an interview is more important than class so you might want to go to that. But then again if your prof says you can't miss class for any reason, give them the finger and then turn around and get the highest grade in the class. Tell them to go home and rethink their life.

Also what if it is an interview is like out of state and somewhere far?

Also what if it is an interview is like out of state and somewhere far?
Interviews suck because they cost money. Traveling can take a lot of time so you just need to plan everything in advance. If you have a month until your interview make sure that you get all your work done beforehand so that you can stay ahead when you have to miss class. Communicate with your profs and then you'll be golden.....especially if you get accepted.

I took 18 credit hours last semester and had to travel to 4 interviews that were out of state. You just have to email professors and tell them you won't be in class on whatever day. I had the dates of 3 interviews that were a week apart, so I just sent all the dates in one email. I didn't create my schedule with interviews in mind either. For classes where attendance doesn't matter, I didn't say anything to the professor. I would fly into the place where the interview was the day before (I stayed with a student host, which I definitely recommend) and then I usually flew back home 2-3 hours after my interview and was back at school the next day. Professors, especially STEM professors, expect students to have interviews so you shouldn't have too much trouble.