Being a tutor is just like any other job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasFight

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does being a tutor (paid) hold any extra weight compared to another college job, like working at the gym? I'd rather work at the gym, but if it looks better to adcoms, I wouldn't mind being a tutor and the extra $2/hr helps as well. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Does being a tutor (paid) hold any extra weight compared to another college job, like working at the gym? I'd rather work at the gym, but if it looks better to adcoms, I wouldn't mind being a tutor and the extra $2/hr helps as well. :)
If you know the topic well, its way better than other jobs. I got paid bank to tutor and I didnt' have to spend any time preparing because I knew the material well. Plus, it's fun to help people out...

edited.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the responses guys

But I have one thing to add to my situation. Suppose I already tutor (for free) at an elementary school, so I already have that teaching experience. I also run workshops on various respiratory ailments for the ALA. I just wanted the the gym job to meet people (it almost seems like a low end social networking job at my university)

I say to do what you want to do- I tutored as a volunteer at a Children's Hospital and while I loved the hospital sometime the tutoring got old... I worked as a nanny all the way through college and loved it. I am soooo glad I didn't waste my time just doing something to go on my application- and when you are asked about it at an interview you can really be happy and not have to fake it.

yeah, if you already have teaching experience, maybe not enjoyable as much, take whatever you like most.

Thanks for the responses guys
But I have one thing to add to my situation. Suppose I already tutor (for free) at an elementary school, so I already have that teaching experience. I also run workshops on various respiratory ailments for the ALA. I just wanted the the gym job to meet people (it almost seems like a low end social networking job at my university)

Last edited:
I'd say do what you enjoy more. I tutor but damn I enjoy it!(I am more of a discussion leader than a tutor) Seriously do what you enjoy, even if that is working at a Gym.

My personal philosophy (so no where near reflective of adcom) is that teaching effectively is an important skill set a doctor should have. A lot of explaining medicine to patients will require similar skills as tutoring.

So if you already tutor (voluntarily), and that's on the application, then for the job do whatever you want.

Do what you want to do.

I'm a tutor and I like it.

My personal philosophy (so no where near reflective of adcom) is that teaching effectively is an important skill set a doctor should have. A lot of explaining medicine to patients will require similar skills as tutoring.
^This. Coaching, tutoring, TAing, mentoring all are desirable faces of Teaching to list on a med school application. If listed under Employment, your description makes it clear it includes the other category.