Being an MS4 year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shazam243

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just finishing up my first rotation as a MS4. I went through MS3 very anxious of messing up. I find myself still very nervous when taking H&P on patients, fearing that I'm going to miss important questions on the history and missing important aspects of the physical exam, which I usually do. I also usually spend at least 30mins doing the interview and exam. My oral presentations are also very unorganized if I don't write down an outline beforehand. Do others have similar feelings?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is water wet? Most 3rd yr and 4th yrs are clueless, 1st yr residents still clueless, 2nd yr a lightbulb will come on, 3rd yr you can probably practice by yourself in most speciality.

Is water wet? Most 3rd yr and 4th yrs are clueless, 1st yr residents still clueless, 2nd yr a lightbulb will come on, 3rd yr you can probably practice by yourself in most speciality.

I know that we still are expected to not know much, but I thought the general expectation was that we should at least be able to take a good history and perform the relevant physical exam maneuvers by the end of third year, and forth year is when we start thinking about treatments, having already been comfortable taking a H/P.

Get more exposure when you can. Volunteer to do H/P. The more you do, the easier it gets. A lot of third years get into a bad cycle in which they don't do good H/P, which scares them from doing more, which results in poorer H/P (and the cycle goes on).

Reactions: 1 user