Being asked about what specialty you're interested in during interviews...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bozz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have absolutely no idea. My shadowing experiences allowed me to obtain a better picture of the ent relationship. At this point, every field I've taken a look at seems interesting. I feel that I'll find my niche in medical school.

Would that be an ok answer during interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

I have absolutely no idea. My shadowing experiences allowed me to obtain a better picture of the ent relationship. At this point, every field I've taken a look at seems interesting. I feel that I'll find my niche in medical school.

I usually say something like that. Have a well reasoned path you took to have some current leaning, but leave it open for change. I usually cite the fact that I thought I wanted to be philosophy major when I started undergrad, but the first class I had turned me off of it. That's when I discovered Biopsychology.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea...it's ok to not know. I mentioned the kinds of things that I wanted in a career such as extensive and long term patient contact, but said I would keep my options open because right now all that I know is that everything is exciting and interesting. I'll make my decision while I'm actually rotating in the specialties rather than getting a glimpse of them.

I had one interviewer chew me out for not knowing, and then chew me out more for talking about 'cardiology' as an example of a specialty, when really its a sub-specialty.

But she was the exception. A couple did ask (i think maybe only the non-docs) but that was the only one who gave me a hard time for not knwoing. Probably best to be able to show you 're passionate and could see yourself doing sometihng, but leave it open to exploring others, thats part of what rotations are for, after all ...

Family Medicine or EM, you deal with all types of patients and age ranges, and numerous diseases.

I think, if you love everything, one of those two would be the way to go.

Or atleast, thats how I answer the question.

Last edited:
One of my interviewers was concerned that I was just going into medicine for the money from reading my personal statement. She asked me the specialty question in part i think to see if i picked only high paying ones, as she mentioned that i didn't and seemed slightly relived by that.

That would absolutely be a good answer.

Good answer. And good practice for when you're a third year and feel the need to always respond "I'm not sure yet, but I've really enjoyed insert current rotation so far!"

I had success with being honest and telling the interviewer what specialty I was really interested in... but YMMV.

I had success with being honest and telling the interviewer what specialty I was really interested in... but YMMV.
Thats kind of hard when the OP is interested in all fields, though.