Being Ethical and Being Succesful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brad S

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a fair amount of statistics to show that there are a number of negative, unethical behaviors that will advance one in a professional direction.

Be it students sleeping with professors for grades or internships or special favor. It should be evident that there is a fair share of talking about others, some of which will be privileged or false information. One might possibly have to pretend that they like a professor who they know is doing unethical things.

My folks did not raise me on the bible, but on T.A. for tots. The stories were about the most basic ethical dilemmas like lying, insulting, stealing, hurting, etc. I'm very glad for it, but I now have an almost wholly physiological revulsion to people who I know are willingly unethical. I also cannot muster the strength to pretend like I'm not bothered by particular individuals.

Growing up I've become aware that in a world where they already exist, they will continue to exist, and can become essential (as particularly effective viral memes do).

I feel like my ethical sensitivity is my strongest sense, part of my inner being.

So:
Should I forgo academics and just join the Jainists? Or is it possible to navigate academics as an infinitely squeamish individual?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a bit confused...yes people do those things, but do you think its required? I'd guess the vast majority of us got where we are without sleeping with our professors :laugh: Ethics is certainly a continuum and I'd wager nearly everyone will have minor, ethical lapses at some point in their life. That doesn't mean the only way to get ahead is to lie, cheat, and steal. What sort of people have you come across that you think this is necessary? The real world is not like you see on daytime television....

At the same time, if your decision-making is crippled because of a pathological fear of not doing the most perfectly ethical thing, that's a problem too. I'm talking at the extreme since its great to give a healthy amount of consideration to ethical dilemmas. However if, say, you can't finish writing a paper because you're worried you might plagiarize and spend hours upon hours reading and re-reading every paper ever written on the subject to make sure no sentence you've written is ever identical to someone else's...that's obviously going to prevent you from functioning.

Unless that's the case, the only thing I might suggest is that you stay far, far away from any kind of clinical work. Clients can and will do unethical things all the time. In some cases "treating" that is why they came in, though even then you generally cannot be blatantly judgmental. However, in many cases, clients will bring up things you consider unethical that are completely peripheral to treatment. Its hard, but you have to be able to suck it up and realize you are there to treat their illness, not to tell them how to live their life. I've only recently started clinical work and have already had this come up...it isn't easy, but dealing with it is a necessary part of being a good clinician.

I'm a bit confused...yes people do those things, but do you think its required?

I'm trying to get an idea of whether it's required. I can't say for sure even whether I have a fully formed opinion.

I'm at a point in life where I'm kind of embarrassed to be just starting a different career path. I'm just finishing up the last two classes I can take at junior college. I've been in a family business benefiting from nepotism, so I've been sheltered in a way that the ladder I've had to climb is pure merit- neither my father nor brothers would do anything unethical to me, and our business has been in the family long enough that we have a body of unmatched skill and thrive on our laurels.

My concern is aroused right now because I have a womanizer of an instructor. When I asked him some tips on finding an entry level job, told me "I'm not the person you talk to about that." After class ended the following week, I returned to the class room a few minutes after and found him hunched over a female student telling her about a position available where he does research. He gave me an evil eye, and abruptly the conversation between himself and the student changed to necessitate the phrase, "People really should know when to pick their battles."... then ended.

I'm of the opinion that adults can consent to whatever arrangements they wish between each other, but of course this idea fails ethically when it involves the availability of opportunity to less sexually compliant or desirable applicants.

I guess my (paranoid) thinking is that if this guy can wedge himself firmly in a professional position where he can almost openly hit on and arrange sexual favors with a female student, that his peers must be at least minimally aware of and compliant to the behavior.

Honestly, these opinions are all tainted by my "privileged" position. If I were to take reality on reality's terms, I should realize that life is a struggle for everyone, and people have to do less than honorable things to make their way on occasion. Once those people attain a position of power, they can emotionally justify performing the same exploitation.

...it isn't easy, but dealing with it is a necessary part of being a good clinician.
What are some of your experiences in dealing with unethical clients or colleagues?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm still a little confused. If you're asking whether you "need" to sleep with professors, cheat on exams, etc. to do well...the answer is certainly no. I think a very small percentage of the population that does those sorts of things.

If you're asking whether or not you will be exposed to other individuals who do those things...its possible. There's plenty of awful people in the world, you're bound to have a couple as colleagues in any setting with a large enough number of people. In some cases they may be fired for that behavior...in other cases they may walk a fine line and not be disciplined. You don't have to be their best friend, but you have to work with them.

As for personal experiences, I wouldn't know where to begin. Clients will tell you about cheating on their spouses, selling drugs, bootlegging movies, the list is endless. If you make it clear you don't like them because of that...they won't come back. It can be difficult to be non-judgmental in some of those situations, but if you want to do any kind of clinical work you don't have much of a choice.

I think I'm still a little confused. If you're asking whether you "need" to sleep with professors, cheat on exams, etc...

Sorry, thanks for the solution-based approach ;-)

I don't know that I have a specific question, I'm just wanting to discuss it- survey before I dig, so to speak.

As for personal experiences, I wouldn't know where to begin. Clients will tell you about cheating on their spouses, selling drugs, bootlegging movies, the list is endless...

I've been sheltered bordering on spoiled, so I'm just trying to get an idea of what the real world is like. I've never had to pretend to like coworkers that I don't like, or really even work with other people. Maybe I'm just trying to convince myself to give up, I don't know for sure.

I've been sheltered bordering on spoiled, so I'm just trying to get an idea of what the real world is like. I've never had to pretend to like coworkers that I don't like, or really even work with other people.

You will have to do this, its pretty much unavoidable. If you take the number of people employed at a particular school...you'll have people you don't like that you have to work with. It stinks, it can be unpleasant at times, but for the most part you just have to suck it up and go about your day, and realize not everything can be perfect.

If you feel you've been sheltered...I'd try and get out some before making any definitive decisions (I don't mean that as an insult by the way since I don't really know your situation...just using the terms you used). Pick up an extra part time job at some random place. It sounded like you're at a junior college right now, but keep taking classes there. Maybe get involved in some activities on campus. The more you are involves with the greater your chances are of coming across an unpleasant person. Which sounds bad, but is really kind of what you want in this situation. Find out how much it bothers you...is it something that will keep you from living your life, or can you shrug it off and be happy knowing that YOU are living the life you want, regardless of what others choose to do.