Being Jewish and medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

justskipee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools have a lot of Jewish med students? Strong Hillel or Jewish groups on campus? I don't want to end up at a school feeling like the only Jew.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm only part Jewish and I'm a practicing Christian, so it's not a big deal to me. However, for some reason I remember seeing stuff saying that Albert Einstein had a lot of Jewish students and back when my aunt was in school Washington University was also a big Jewish school...

justskipee said:
Which schools have a lot of Jewish med students? Strong Hillel or Jewish groups on campus? I don't want to end up at a school feeling like the only Jew.

Jew Power! When I had my NYU interview, I met a first year there who went to the same undergrad college as me. She said her class is almost 60% Jewish. So apparently, they must like us.

Members don't see this ad :)
AECOM is the ticket for God's Chosen People, I hear. Well, it's the only Jewish-affiliated med school I'm aware of.

Jewish docs are pretty common. Jews are also overrepresented in elite schools in general. I think they are even pretty common in Christian-affiliated hospitals like St. Vincents. Go figure.

Mt. Sinai, Albert Einstein...I seem to remember a third, but I forgot which one.

Just because AECOM is jewish affiliated, doesn't mean most of the students are jewish. Same thing like most people at Jesuit schools like Loyola aren't necessarily Jesuit or even Catholic. Being Jewish, I asked at AECOM, and basically the only impact it has is that you get jewish holdiays off (which is nice if you're Jewish, considering I never got that for undergrad).

I'd also like to meet other Jews in med schools, but from my experience there aren't proportionally as many Jews in medical school as there used to be. It'd be nice if wherever I go had a Jewish-related student group, though.

justskipee said:

I really can't conceive of that being a problem, unless you do your residency in Saudi Arabia.

Wherever there are concentrations of absurdly brainy people in this country, there will always be a minyan.

I loved what Jon Stewart said at the Emmys: "They said you couldn't do the writing for a comedy series with only 80% Havard-educated Jews -- you needed 90% minumum. But we showed them you could!"

You are going to find tonnes of Jewish people at any medical school in the US except maybe LL. Plus at my school there is a particular Jewish prof that calls all the Jewish kids to make sure that they are doing alright. I feel left out because I am not Jewish.

thanks for your insight SDNers. my top choices are Duke, BU and U of MN. Duke I heard has a hillel on the undergraduate campus, BU is in Boston so thats pretty jewish, and U of MN is so big there have to be Jews. If AE would invite me for an interview that may move to the top. I like being Jewish and being around Jews, my jokes seem to get more laughs at hillel.

Jew Power

Old jewish grandma does a beer bong at Umich:

http://www.michigandaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/12/01/438eb39ac3f51?in_archive=1

justskipee said:
thanks for your insight SDNers. my top choices are Duke, BU and U of MN. Duke I heard has a hillel on the undergraduate campus, BU is in Boston so thats pretty jewish, and U of MN is so big there have to be Jews. If AE would invite me for an interview that may move to the top. I like being Jewish and being around Jews, my jokes seem to get more laughs at hillel.

Jew Power

Old jewish grandma does a beer bong at Umich:

http://www.michigandaily.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2005/12/01/438eb39ac3f51?in_archive=1

Hey jew boy-

Do you go to Umich!? I feel like the only female Jewish pre-med at Mich who hasn't switched over to dental school

justskipee said:
I have yet to visit a med school that DOESN'T have a good representation of Jews. If there is an affiliated undergrad campus, there will be an active Hillel. A lot of med schools also have a Jewish medical students' group. Check out the list of organizations at the schools you are considering.

minnie2240 said:
Hey jew boy-

Do you go to Umich!? I feel like the only female Jewish pre-med at Mich who hasn't switched over to dental school

Hey jew girl,

I go to University of Wisconsin-Madison. Now that you mention it, I don't know of many jewish pre-meds, males or females. Isn't it neat that Judaism is the new hip thing in pop culture, finally a society (US) that embraces its Jews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although a little off topic, I figure this is a good place to bring this up. I went to a talk at a local synagogue by a Dr. Sherwin Nuland, a professor of surgery at Yale. The title of his talk was "Jewish Doctors: Why so many? Why so good?". One of his main points was that Jews embraced the Greek notion that healing is not associated with divinity. Therefore they were able focus on actually doing something about a disease rather than praying/hoping it will go away. His second main point was that since Jews were displaced so frequently through the ages the one thing that you can always take with you is your knowledge. Hence, knowledge and skill in medicine, among other trades, was not only desirable but necessary to Jewish survival.

To the OP, I'm not too worried about not running into any other Jews. Since I've lived in Cleveland for most of my life and at this point will probably end up going to Case, I'm rather familiar with the Jewish population in the area. I suspect as others have been saying you will find enclaves wherever you choose to receive your medical education.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I just have to laugh when I read the posts that say you will never run into a school that doesn't have Jews. I live in Salt Lake City, UT, and there are probably less Jews here than in Saudi Arabia (as a previous poster mentioned). The med school here, I'm sure will have 1 (that being me), but more...that I don't know. The schools that the OP is aiming for, however, should have a nicely saturated Jewish community. Don't worry...just don't come to Utah if you're looking for a fulfilling Jewish life. ;)

dragonmate said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I just have to laugh when I read the posts that say you will never run into a school that doesn't have Jews. I live in Salt Lake City, UT, and there are probably less Jews here than in Saudi Arabia (as a previous poster mentioned). The med school here, I'm sure will have 1 (that being me), but more...that I don't know. The schools that the OP is aiming for, however, should have a nicely saturated Jewish community. Don't worry...just don't come to Utah if you're looking for a fulfilling Jewish life. ;)

Note to self: don't go to Saudi Arabia. I like how you used the word saturated :laugh: I think of a sponge that is full of water, but the sponge is a synagogue and the water molecules are jews. :p

justskipee said:
Note to self: don't go to Saudi Arabia. I like how you used the word saturated :laugh: I think of a sponge that is full of water, but the sponge is a synagogue and the water molecules are jews. :p
Now that's the kind of abstract thinking we need from docs these days!! :D

I'm not Jewish, so forgive my ignorance.

Are most Moyels practicing physicians? Or are they just religious priests that are trained in doing circumcisions?

Jon Davis said:
I'm not Jewish, so forgive my ignorance.

Are most Moyels practicing physicians? Or are they just religious priests that are trained in doing circumcisions?

The moyel in our community (st. louis park, MN) is a practicing pediatrician that is the father of my good friend. I assume they have to be a physician. Of course many circumcisions are being done at the hospital for less religious or non-jewish babies. I got to see a 1st year family practice resident do their first one, that was scary....shaking hands, sharp blades and penises don't fit well together.

i don't think that you have to be a physician to be a moyel... Many orthodox rabbis are moyels and they are not physicians. Though the last bris that I attended did have a pediatrician as a moyel.

Sweetlill1 said:
i don't think that you have to be a physician to be a moyel... Many orthodox rabbis are moyels and they are not physicians. Though the last bris that I attended did have a pediatrician as a moyel.

From circumcision.net (hee hee)

""Who can be a Mohel?
The Mohel who performs the ritual circumcision is a person who has received specialized training in the medical and ritual aspects of the bris. The moment of the bris has a great spiritual effect upon the child and therefore Jewish law specifies that one should choose a Mohel who is noted not only for his technical skills but also for his level of piety. It has therefore been the tradition that a Rabbi, cantor, or spiritual leader will also serve the community as a Mohel. ""

So looks like anyone can be trained, but they have to be religious. That would be an awesome experience/activity to add to ones AMCAS application! What a great interview conversation starter.

Experience: Student Moyel
How many hours per week: 1 hour, 5 min. per penis
Experience description: cough cough, it has reaffirmed my decision to go to medical school

justskipee said:
From circumcision.net (hee hee)

""Who can be a Mohel?
The Mohel who performs the ritual circumcision is a person who has received specialized training in the medical and ritual aspects of the bris. The moment of the bris has a great spiritual effect upon the child and therefore Jewish law specifies that one should choose a Mohel who is noted not only for his technical skills but also for his level of piety. It has therefore been the tradition that a Rabbi, cantor, or spiritual leader will also serve the community as a Mohel. ""

So looks like anyone can be trained, but they have to be religious. That would be an awesome experience/activity to add to ones AMCAS application! What a great interview conversation starter.

Experience: Student Moyel
How many hours per week: 1 hour, 5 min. per penis
Experience description: cough cough, it has reaffirmed my decision to go to medical school
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I LOVE it! Let's just hope your interviewer didn't have a traumatic experience with a Mohel himself. I have a Jewish friend who recieved his circumcision when he was 8 yoa! :scared: Thanks, but no thanks. I thank Gd that he made me a woman. :p

i'm not jewish, but i'm wondering if any of you are worried about classes/tests/labs on Saturdays. Being SDA, I observe the same sundown-to-sundown sabbath as jewish observers. I know this is observed at Loma Linda. Does AECOM specifically respect the sabbath? And how do other med students who are jewish or sda (or a different sabbath keeper) deal with it at a school that does not?

When a Moyel does the brit milah, who gets the tip?

Kitra101 said:
When a Moyel does the brit milah, who gets the tip?

are you talkin' a monetary tip or the actual skin?

Do you have to circumcisions if you don't want to? I just don't think I could do that to a baby. :scared: :(

valedictorian said:
[text removed by moderator]

Au contraire…Ja lot of Jewish guys are hot! :D I didn't think there were a lot of Jewish students in med school. do schools consider religion when they pick ppl. or do ppl. consider religion when they pick schools?

valedictorian said:

uhh, I know many hot Jewish girls. Come to Madison, WI, I hate to say it but some coasties are pretty hot, too bad they're obnoxious bitches (seems like most of them).

I personally have never met an attractive valedictorian! what you gonna say to that, two can play your generalizing game.

While I do not know about the correlation between being jewish and ugly, i do know that there is one between being jewish and funny. the idea of being G-d's Chosen People means that we were chosen to bring light to the world - to make those who are cold and boring able to laugh. In regard to the comment about keeping the tip - that was stolen from Weird Al - of whom I think is a member of the tribe - and is a pun. Take it in either way that you like.

Just to add on to this already interesting post - so my cousin was getting a bris and it turns out his Moyel was also the Moyel of my brother, my two cousins and I. When he came in I said, "So man in white - we meet again." (He wore his white coat while "performing" the deed - ophthamologist). He did not remember me as I assume he has cut so many little penii that he just cant ever put a name to a penis. Anyway, my point of all this being - what do eyes and a penis have in common to make a father feel confident about his son's bris? Is it the covanent between G-d and the Jews - no - it is that white coat! Who cares what kind of a doctor he is - I dont care if he was Dr. Nick Riviera. If he has a coat, Id let him slice and dice.

Today's episode was brought to you by the letter B.

valedictorian said:

So, now you have crossed the line you ****ing anti-semite. Could I get some help to fight this bigot.

**** off Valedictorian.

valedictorian said:
[removed by moderator]

what the heck is your problem? where did all these racist people on SDN come from today? i think this is the same poster as that chem..something from earlier

anystream said:
what the heck is your problem? where did all these racist people on SDN come from today? i think this is the same poster as that chem..something from earlier

Thanks anystream, just ignore him, I've already reported them to the moderator. Its not worth engaging such an idiot.

Valed - you are oh so clever with your witty remarks - correcting the anti-semetic bit - that was classic. And the warning people about masturbating in such a comical manner - wow - who writes your material? I mean, this is some good stuff. Wow. I mean, wow. You must have been planning these posts for some time now to make up something that good. I seriously fell on the floor laughing out loud. I mean, for once, someone on the internet could type "lol" and mean it. Wow. Oh wow. You must have a team of monkeys working round the clock on your material.

How does it feel to be so clever? Is it working well for you during you daily routine? People must come to you all day long and say, "My word, that was the most clever thing I have ever heard." And if they don't come to you directly, you can be sure that they discuss it amongst themselves. They probably all say "Wow, he is so clever. I want to be just like him."

Wait, wait, lets play a little role play game. Ok, ok...I'm going to be the person who sees your post and you be you. Ok - wow, valid-dick, you are so funny. I never thought about masturbation the night before an interview because I am so lonely on the road, but now that you mention it, I should think about it. That is so clever and may save me from future legal action. (For those of you who have not read his post yet, I suggest doing so as it is sooooooo funny.) Ok, now your turn - and dont forget you clever cap valid-dick!

Valid-dick: I hate people. I like to play with myself while interviewing for medical school. Jews are bad people and I like to tell people that - especially during interviews. Did you know that the term anti-semetic is somewhat misleading in the manner that it is used currently and that the word google has been made into a verb due to popular culture?

Wow, so clever.

To answer the OP's question, I've noticed that the New York and Florida schools all have very active Jewish student populations. Emory also has a reputation for bringing in a lot of the Chosen People.

You know, I just realized, valid-dick is going to every post he can and saying whatever he can to insight anger. I see his name all over the board right now.

It's spelled vein......you can spew all the verbal poison you want from behind the computer in your trailer, but nobody cares what you say.

No No, you are right valed. You really are. You are so smart and so clever. I have been laughing since your original post and after seeing all the offensive posts you have made so far, wow, I mean, so clever. You must sleep well every night knowing how clever you are. Or maybe, someone feels totally powerless in life and feels the need to be as rude as possible in an anonymous situation? I bet you were the type of little kid who makes prank phone calls and drives like a maniac because no one knows who you are. Wow, what a strong person you must be - and your family must be so proud of you, too. So strong, so clever, so kind. You should be really proud of yourself.

valedictorian said:
how's your application process to the Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin, can't make it here in the US? Loser

If any of you become psychiatrists, it would be interesting to do a study on forum "trolls." Do they suffer from low self-esteem? Were they abused as children? Bullied in school? I wonder if any studies have already been completed on the topic?

For those who are interested in tracking the great quality interactions that this witty person is participating in, please click here:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/search.php?searchid=1338668

You will notice this person pretty much attacking anyone that is on the board for being Jewish, Persian, Iranian, whatever it may be.

Good job my friend. You never cease to amaze all of us. So, anyway, Tulane - whats the countdown to Nawlins? Where are you at right now? Are you excited? Class of 2010!!

tulane06 said:
If any of you become psychiatrists, it would be interesting to do a study on forum "trolls." Do they suffer from low self-esteem? Were they abused as children? Bullied in school? I wonder if any studies have already been completed on the topic?
your inquiry doesnt seem any more interesting than the troll's debaucheries.

are you CRAZY? you're posting anonymous b*llsh*t on a PRE-MED forum. get a life douchebag. have fun living in a world where jews control the money, the media, and anything else that requires intelligence. stop creeping on pre-med forums (ALL DAY LONG).

love,
a jewish valedictorian chick who could kick your a$$

valedictorian said:

touche!

still on sdn, i see? i hope you get paid for creeping forums all day long. or at least feel better about your penis.

please stop being an a$$hole and 'helping' to close down all of our forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.