1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Being Pre-Med is taking its tole on me

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jordan23, Mar 26, 2007.

1. jordan23

2+ Year Member

For example, I can't go to class without worrying what the teacher is thinking about me. So even though I stay up till 4 am every night, have a whole host of health problems, and have a hard time concentrating, I have to look as intelligent as possible, because I worry-"What if she gives me a B because she remembers me yawning?" or "What if she gives me an A- because I said the wrong answer?" Stuff like this. I cant accept the fact that one question on a test could be teh difference between being a doctor or being miserable for the rest of my life. For example, on last Govt test I missed two questions which I contemplated changing the answers but I didn't. I ended up getting an 86 when I could have gotten a 90. So if I never get into medical school because I got a B+ or an A- in Govt, it will be because "Well son, 15 years ago I could have answered differently on those two questions." All of this stuff is just way too much pressure for me. And then I have to worry also about taking antibiotics when I get sick because what if I get side effects and then can't perform well. It's all these things which drive me nuts all day long. When will this go away? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!:(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Re3iRtH

Re3iRtH Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Dude, I hate to say this but what you need to do is
    go out and drink and/or meet some women... and forget
    about Sn1 and Sn2 for a couple days. It won't kill you.

4. pennybridge

pennybridge Membership Revoked
    Removed

blasphemy!

5. NickRiviera

NickRiviera MS-Never
    2+ Year Member

[​IMG]

6. Brookstacular

Brookstacular Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is just the person I want operating on me... if you think screwing up a gov't test is bad, just wait 'til that fateful day you make a real mistake. My advice, relax, take a long hard look in the mirror, and don't worry about a B+. There are much bigger things to worry about than a decent grade in a politics class. Take for instance ebola. I'd rather get a B+ and end up not being a doctor than get ebola.

7. cbr

cbr Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

x

#6 cbr, Mar 26, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  8. calcox

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If the OP's post is genuine, you should investigate seeking out a mental health counselor on campus, someone who you can talk to about these anxieties. While a moderate amount of nerves are normal, your intense focus on the ramifications of one or two points and the way you say it affects you is way past the level of motivational and into the realm of unhealthy.

If the OP is joking, meh...

9. jordan23

2+ Year Member

no seriously, the teachers hold are future in their hands, and they don't even give a **** about it.

10. Funky

Funky This space is for sale
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    ummm..is this serious?

11. stoic

stoic "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

to the op you gotta figure out what's important and what's not. if you approach med school with your current attitude, your head will literally explode sometime during the first year.

12. gary5

gary5 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Well, you're experiencing significant anxiety. Try to get a hold of it on your own, otherwise see a school counselor to get help with it. Don't be afraid to ask for help in life - everyone needs help at times.

In terms of teachers, try not to worry what they think. Relax in class and realize that, for most classes, all or most of the grade is based on exam scores, not behavior in class. Besides, the teacher is not focusing on you - they're trying to remember to cover all their material that they prepared. Or they're thinking about the hot date they're going on this weekend or maybe getting lucky tonight at home. Well, my point is, they have a life and that's what they're thinking about.

In terms of panicking about how important every test is, try to focus that energy on doing more preparation before exams. This is how you succeed in school, not by worrying. Grades do not reflect how you answered one question on one test. They reflect all of your studying over 4 years.

In terms of deciding which answer to choose on a test, here's what I do. I take the entire test and put a line next to questions that I'm not sure about. Then, when I'm done, I go back and review those questions. I only change my original answer if I am fairly sure that some other answer is better. If I really don't know, then I keep my original answer.

13. Medikit

Medikit Plastic Bag Middle Class
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My last semester of college during the first chemistry club meeting I introduced myself to the club with "My name is _____ and I am SICK of being a Pre-MED!" I got some really strange looks. I'm not really surprised most of the new kids who showed up didn't come back.. mostly because it's a chemistry club, though.

Jordan, as my micro/virology professor always says: If you try hard you will do well, worrying about the grade gets you nothing. My last year of college was a really stressful time for me, I didn't have the perfect application and I was taking the heftiest class load yet, both in terms of units and in terms of subject matter. Right before the first exam I freaked. I had no idea how I could finish my schedule, get my secondaries in, go to potential interviews, and still do well in my classes. So I remembered what the professor said and I just decided to work hard and not worry about the grades. And my grades weren't perfect, in fact several of them were on the edge, one of my A-'s even became a B+ by the end of the first semester. But I kept working hard and overall I have to say I did quite well but the neat part was is that it was seriously the best year of my life up until that point and this is the reason why: I was living life in the moment. Work hard and enjoy life whenever possible- that seems like a better life goal to me then getting into medical school.

14. Richard Kimble

Richard Kimble A one arm man did it
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Possible anxiety disorder. But sometimes these disorders are good in moderation if they help you achieve goals in life. At least you are harnessing the anxiety to do well in school rather than not stepping on cracks in the sidewalk.

15. GoinBack2Cali?

GoinBack2Cali? it used to be so cool
    2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I got a B in Geography if that makes you feel any better. Yes, you read that correctly, Geography! :smuggrin: And now that I think about it, I got a B in Government as well, I totally forgot about that.

16. Vano

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This is most likely a troll; but still you hold your future in your hands. If you study well and know your material then you'll do well. Whereas some teachers don't, many others teachers do care maybe just a little about your future. Always giving you good grades, even when you don't deserve them, is not caring for your future. Giving you the knowledge to succeed and putting you through hard tasks is, because med.school won't be any easier. And if you spell toll the way you did--tole, and have trouble spelling without a spellcheck in general then I'm not surprised at all that you didn't get the highest grade in your government class

17. QuakerPreMed

2+ Year Member

This may not make you feel better, but I never got a B in college (and only three or four A-) and I still didn't get into plenty of schools....

Then again, I think that says that there are more important things than just grades. Chill out now and start stressing when you study for the MCAT :D

18. VoiceofReason

VoiceofReason all i care about is money
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Your verbal reasoning score is going to be horrifying, OP.

19. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I knew a guy that had massive neuroses like the OP describes. He was in a BA/MD program...

He would study for boards on his friday nights of his first semester before he had even covered the material. (try to anyway...) Guy was just way too high strung.

Long story short, he nailed the boards, but didn't match. He was just way too neurotic and wound up bombing his interviews.

20. HumbleMD

HumbleMD hmmmm...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Things like that are why everyone else on a college campus hates pre-meds. Hell, that's why I hate pre-meds. Seriously, it's not the hardest thing to do in the world - try getting into a top clin. psych. program, for example. In all honesty, a few B's aren't going to keep you out of medical school. They won't even keep you out of a top medical school. Just do the best that you can do, and be happy with your effort. Worry about the details later (or at least until after the MCAT - man OP, I think you'd better consult a physician to get some anxiety meds before thinking about it).

21. xylem29

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Yea - you need to chillax man. You've got it all wrong...first, you need to know that even if you fell asleep in class, this won't affect your grade in the eyes of the prof b/c he/she will not even know who you are - unless it's a small class and they go by first name, in this case, it's pretty hard to fall asleep...yawning is ok though. Next, don't stress about As and Bs....one mark WILL NOT determing your med school admission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And don't stress about the antibiotics side effects!!!!!!!!

22. lsumedgirl

lsumedgirl Livin' the dream!
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Dude. You've GOT to relax!

23. aspirationMD

aspirationMD Rookie of the Year
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I'm a stress ball too .. but wow, I've never seen at such a max as in your last post! Getting the pre-med stuff out of your way takes 4(plus or minus) years, why spend it the whole time fretting? Four years is a long time to feel so anxious, imagine what kind of toll the anxiety is taking on your body, stress can be a major cause of health problems! lol calm down, and enjoy college it's supposed to be a good experience.

24. momtwo

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    From a Mom (of two former pre-meds) standpoint - I'd worry about a child like you. What you need to do is ask yourself - am I smart enough to get A's? if you are then aim toward them, plan on working hard, but do not stress over them. If a few B's slip through that's fine as long as you know you've done your best. From the kids I know that went premed and followed it through they learned early on that stressing accomplishes nothing - it's kinda a waste of energy. You just do your best and know it's going to be a hard road with probably not much time for letting your hair down but you can't be living with that constant stress and panic. It's simply not good for you. No career is worth freaking out over. What's (or WHO is) pushing you to try for medical school? To me it seems like those that are cut out for medical school are smart, hard working and steady not totally stressing all the time. How in the world would someone make it through medical school if they don't grasp the simple art of relaxation early on in college (or before)?? Sometimes this "stressing" is learned from peers etc and if that is the case you need to focus and center yourself before you burn out. Double check your reasons for stressing - is it just your personality? - do you stress about everything? or do you have a goal that is beyond your abilities? also stay away from people that cause you to be more anxious. Make friends with those that remain calm and focused. Try to unlearn that "i must stress" attitude before it drives you nuts.
    Just a Mom's opinion.

25. psipsina

psipsina Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    OP, I agree that some of the thoughts your expressing resemble an anxiety disorder. I reccommend talking to someone on you college campus, beyond the drugs there are behavioral techniques that you can use to relax a little. Its normal to be a little anxious about performance as a premed, there is so much uncertainty as you go thru the process. But thinking that your proffs are tallying your yawns and demeritting your grades based on this tally is a bit excessive. They probably don't really care that much about you but are just fulfilling their teaching duties necessary to pursue their own academic interests. And everyone here is right about grades, while you should always strive to do your best, you should never sacrifice your health (mental and physical) to get a few more points. I made it into medschool with multiple Cs and a D, granted I'm not at Haaarvvaaard but your dream of being a physician certainly won't be ruined by a B in a nonscience.

Anyways, what you need to get a grip on is that the process your are in now as a premed is only the first of many steps along the path to being a practicing physician, and the premed step is the easiest and the least stress inducing of them all, it only escalates from there. If you can't maintain your mental/physical health now it will only get worse and possibly dangerous as you move foreward, so instead of freaking about how a B is keeping you out of medschool you need to be focusing on how you are keeping yourself from possibly being able to complete this process by ignoring your anxiety issues. Go see someone and nip this in the butt now.

26. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ditto. If your mental/psychological state gets to the point that it manifests as physical health problems, it's time to talk to a professional.

Do not turn to SDN for advice on something like this. Premeds, collectively, are some of the least socially well-adjusted people you'll meet as a demographic.

27. sirus_virus

sirus_virus nonsense poster
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Op, you need to slap yourself accross the face hard enough that you snap out of this ridiculous nonsense. Freaking out is a choice you have made, and I garauntee that even when you get to medschool/residency/practice, you will still be freaking out.

28. blackrsx

blackrsx OMGWTF
    7+ Year Member

it has certainly taken a toll on your spelling :/

29. doctorbettyrock

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Try reading "The Power of Now," by Eckhart Tolle.....
    I think you're focussing too much on the future instead of living each moment. This book will show you how to let go a bit so that you can make each PRESENT moment count! Worrying so much about the future is just eating you up. Yes, you need to have goals, but there are ways to focus on the prize without letting it take over so much........

30. HumbleMD

HumbleMD hmmmm...
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This kid would be great in pathology...

31. sirus_virus

sirus_virus nonsense poster
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    This is also what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket AKA Biology major(or it's handicapped friends). I always had big contingency plans in case medschool did'nt work out. It made me more relaxed, and I am now sitting on a few acceptances as we speak. Besides alternative life plans, you should find some good hobbies or activities that make you happy. Right now, your only source of joy might be from getting an A+.

32. notdeadyet

Attending Physician
    In fairness, you've also had the approach of bailing out if medicine doesn't continues to decline in salary or isn't what you hope it will be. For a lot of students out there, it's "medicine: do or die" which will make their stress levels higher than yours.

I agree with you on the hobby thing, though. Having interests outside of medicine will definitely help with stress.

33. O Face

O Face Ohh Ohh Ohh
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Original Poster, what the hell?? Part of being a doctor is about being rational and collected under pressure situations, and you're sitting there freaking out about some B that no one is going to care about. College is a stressful time but if you're buckling under it at this stage, then you are going to get beat into the ground during first year med school.

Besides, for a lot of schools the average matriculant's GPA is around a 3.5...do you know what that means? That means they got about as many B's as they did A's. You really need to relax. Even if you do get accepted to medical school and successfully graduate and then go on to your desired residency, there's going to come a time when you look back on your life. And when you realize that yours has always been completely devoid of anything resembling a fun activity (sex), you're going to hang yourself with your own underwear.

34. neurofreak

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    LOL, agreed. OP, seriously, if this is taking such a drastic toll on you right now you should honestly consider a profession that involves less stress. I have several friends in medical school right now and they all tell me that it only gets more difficult from here. And as someone above said, I'm sure most patients wouldn't want someone as high strung/freaked out as you operating on them. Please try to relax and enjoy college. It's the only time you'll get to go out drinking with buddies on a Tuesday night or go out to a party on a Wednesday. Relax, work hard, have fun, and the rest will fall into place.

35. BeatrixKiddo

BeatrixKiddo Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    U are teh troll.

36. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think the problem is that you are making med. school your whole life. B/c you're making it the basis for who you are, every little up and down is destabilizing who you are as a person. Med. school should not BE your life it should be a PART of your life. Try to develop who you are as a person outside your identity as a pre-med. Trust me, I thought the way you did (this one test could ruin my life! Oh no!) and when I learned this lesson, I became a happier person and got into med. school.

The other posters are right, a couple of missed points on a test won't make or break your chances at med. school. You're a good student and you'll eventually go somewhere. For now get some help and learn that your future doesn't hinge on the minutia you've listed.

37. sendwich

sendwich you rock!
    10+ Year Member

CHILL OUT!!!

who cares what people think? it's easier said than done but i think you need to focus more on what YOU like, prefer....instead of what OTHERS like. these people, who you're so concerned about, probably dont even notice your "mistakes, etc, etc". people don't care about what you do, more than you think. (not in the "people dont'-like-you you" kind of care but you're giving other people more power in determining your worth than you should).

if that's out of your control, consider seeing a psychiatrist. you might be suffereing from some sort of anxiety disorder. :(

38. soeagerun2or

soeagerun2or Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

1) Toll

2) What kind of college class is "Government" ? Lol, I mean really :rolleyes:

39. etsuprinthead

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    i agree. op, i'd talk to a counselor. no shame in that -- i had severe OCD a few years back that made me equally neurotic, though in different ways (fear of germs = bad for a furture doctor), but i'm still going to med school next year, even though no one thought i'd be able to. you can do it!

40. DropkickMurphy

DropkickMurphy Membership Revoked
    Removed

Other Health Professions Student
    I think he needs something stronger......heroin perhaps. :laugh:

41. KaraKiz

KaraKiz I'm Ron Burgundy?
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    [​IMG]

that is all. :D :thumbup:

42. TheEleventhReel

TheEleventhReel Dinkin flicka
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think he just needs to try a little harder...

43. Hurricane95

Hurricane95 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Some advice to the OP:

The premed experience of undergrad is just the beginning of the stress that awaits you in a medical career. There will be LOTS of stress in your life, even more if you include the stresses of your personal life besides academics....your health (which you already discussed a little. BTW, what recurrent infection do you have that requires constant antibiotics? AB are normally a short course treatment unless you have something major like serious TB, in which case you would be hospitalized right now, not posting on SDN), interaction with friends and family, love life (including failed relationships here and there), money issues, etc. It's a long road. If you are seriously this stressed about one undergraduate social science course (which will have minimal bearing on your admission to medical school), you really need to stop and think about what's going on. Your prof. is NOT counting how many times you yawn, and frankly could care less if you even come to class (unless attendance is taken). A B+/A- does not make the difference.

I understand that you think in your situation it's either med school or bust, in which case of course getting in or not getting in has a really high stress factor associated with it. Your level of stress however seems excessive...at least as far as an online forum can transmit emotion and frustration. If you are really as stressed as you say you are, you should perhaps look into counseling. Every school has a counseling service where you can go and discuss your problems and worries. Seeking help is not shameful and does not make you crazy. I suspect an anxiety disorder. Make it a priority to talk to someone about your issues soon. It will help you in the long run and make you feel better.

As far as teachers not caring about "our futures in their hands"....well, what can I say. They have their own agenda and there has to be some way of evaluating your performance. Some people get As, others get Bs, etc. That's life. They can't just give everyone a pat on the back and a lollipop and a free A. Is life fair? No. Lots of times it isn't, and you just have to deal with it. After all remember (a little algebra refresher)...if there are X number of students admitted to medical school every year, then there are somewhere between 2X and 3X premeds fighting for the X spots. Lots of people are going to get left out. That's the way it works. That's why you need to work hard and get your issues resolved in order to be at your best performance when it counts.

And remember: enjoy life too. Stop and have some fun every now and then, you need it.

44. notdeadyet

Attending Physician
    Nice one. I laughed out loud...

45. nekrogg

5+ Year Member

hate to break it to you but you arent that important. thats whats wrong with 99% of premeds and pretty much our entire generation. our parents told us "we were special" and we really take it to heart. the teacher probably looks at you once or twice throughout the class and doesnt care if you are yawning or not and just wants to be done also. if it wasnt for being in front of the class, they would have fallen asleep ages ago too.

46. pennybridge

pennybridge Membership Revoked
    Removed

DKM's avatar says it all.

edit// do it messy so some premed EMT can have a great story to tell all of his friends that are getting in to med school.

47. DropkickMurphy

Removed

I still think the kid who walked in front of a train wins that one.
    "Whomever finds the spleen gets to pick where we have dinner....if I find it, we're going to -----------"
    "SOMEONE STOP THAT CAT! He's got one of the eyeballs!"

48. Sunshine1025

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    hahaha

breathe! life is good for us right now.

49. degoo_

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It might actually be better if he remembers the Sn2 while meeting some women

Wow.. he didn't need to hear that!

... I hope the OP stopped reading the thread...but not because he took the advice :eek:

50. jordan23

2+ Year Member

ok so i forgot how to spell toll? studying for 3 exams at the same time and doing lots of homework can make this happen. jeez. oh and yes, in small classes, the teachers see and remember everything. remember, the teachers arent pre med, so they don't care what happens to the student.

51. DropkickMurphy

Removed

OK, now you're officially a full fledged tool gunner in my book.