Being Pregnant during 3rd year and due at the beginning of 4th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmdforever

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a P2. I did really well in my first 3 semesters of school and I made mostly As and a few Bs. My husband and I have been together since high school and got hitched at the ripe old age of 18. We have been together a little over 5 years and have been married 3 of those years. We don't have any kids yet, but we really want some. I have had baby fever for like the last year. My husband is a technician at firestone and he makes $18/hr and he works like 60 hours a week so we are doing pretty well financially. Also, I work as an intern at Walgreens every Saturday but it is not really income we need. We bought a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom townhouse last year and we have plenty of space. I have yet to have to take out loans for anything except my pharmacy school tuition (and the house). I am 22 and he is 24 and we both really want to start our family. We have been thinking that we want to start trying at the beginning of next year and aim for a due date right after second semester of 3rd year. If we can get the time right, I know I have 3 weeks off in May and that I could take June off and do that rotation in December instead (normally we have December off). My parents and my siblings are all in town and I know they would help me take care of the baby if I needed. Also, my husband could probably take one or two weeks off and stay with the baby after I have to go back to school. However, there are a lot of questions in my mind that make me kind of nervous. Like, what if the pregnancy is difficult? what if the baby comes early? etc. I really want to do it, but not at the expense of having to repeat classes. What do you guys think about my situation? Am I stupid to want a baby right now? Do you think I can do it? Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It's possible if it just happens, I had a friend give birth middle of P4....but if you have the opportunity to not do that...don't. It's not like your ovaries are shriveling up anytime soon.

But if it does happen, you can usually swap rotations out and having your family around to basically take over full care for the baby is a necessity (hope they're on board). For prolonged recovery or other issues, you might be able to fully postpone and graduate late.

One person did the swap out and family care plan I mentioned, two others delayed a full year and graduated in the next class.

Reactions: 1 user
This is why companies don't want to hire women.

Reactions: 3 users
If the pregnancy's a surprise and you want the baby, that's one thing. PLANNING to have children during pharmacy school? No way Jose'. Just because the medical school looks like a Lamaze class doesn't mean the pharmacy school should too. You do sound like you've thought about it more than most people who do it.

(The number of women who had kids during medical school knocked my socks off. They couldn't all have been accidents or surprises, and when I mentioned this to another classmate, she had wondered the same thing and was told that it's not a good idea to be pregnant during residency, and it can creep into the high risk territory by the time a woman gets through that and has her career established, so that's why they have their babies while in school.)

You are not stupid for wanting a baby right now. It's not unusual at all for teenagers to (usually) secretly want to have a baby, but they generally do not act on it. It's a natural, instinctive, normal thing.

From my POV, I wouldn't shoot for having kids during pharmacy school. I've seen it work but also seen it maybe hold back career potential because of time and resources dedicated to the child. So you'd have to decide yourself if it's right. Depends on the area you're in but some places think that's a real young age, others more normal.

This is why companies don't want to hire women.

I agree to an extent. Although one could also say that an employer who interviews someone who already has a kid won't ask for maternity leave if I employed her because she already has child(ren). It's also a squeeze I've seen used in other occupational fields that were in high demand. Employee wanted to quit and the boss freaked out because "you have kids to take care of, you can't quit right" (in that case employee could afford to, but not everyone could).
We bought a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom townhouse last year and we have plenty of space.

Lol this honestly was the big shocker for me. Buying a townhouse during pharmacy school? Taking out a mortgage for a house in an area where you might not work after graduation doesn't seem like a smart financial decision unless you've planned to live there for a while. The longer you stay in a house generally the better, the whole rent vs buy debate. Unless you live in an area where you know you'll find work. But real estate decisions vary by area so maybe you worked it out and it wasn't that much? To me though on paper here, it didn't sound smart but maybe you know what you're doing. Not gonna ask for details.

But carrying around all those debts and obligations (loans, house, kid, pregnancy, child care costs) IMO, sounds risky when you haven't even found work yet to support all that. You also have to remember, having a child earlier means less $$ can be devoted to paying back student loans and to retirement, thus lowering the $$ that can be compounded in the long-term and lowering your retirement in the accumulation phase. So you'd need to work out your finances and just consider those things. There's pros and cons to having kids early or late, depends on how you decide to make of it. If you're okay after thinking about the financial aspect, then do what you want. You make it sound like $1080/wk from your husband is decent so maybe it works in your area of the country. In others, what you're doing sounds a little close to financial suicide. Give it more thought and ask outside of SDN like personal finance or Dave Ramsey. It's good you're at least thinking about $$.

Reactions: 1 users
Lol this honestly was the big shocker for me. Buying a townhouse during pharmacy school? Taking out a mortgage for a house in an area where you might not work after graduation doesn't seem like a smart financial decision unless you've planned to live there for a while. The longer you stay in a house generally the better, the whole rent vs buy debate. Unless you live in an area where you know you'll find work. But real estate decisions vary by area so maybe you worked it out and it wasn't that much? To me though on paper here, it didn't sound smart but maybe you know what you're doing. Not gonna ask for details.

Not that big of a shocker to me -- you'll note the OP has family in the area and husband has a stable job in the area. Also, the $18/hr thing ... must be somewhere off the coasts/in a low cost area because $18/hr is like poverty where I'm at (and what our interns make, roughly). This is probably an area where the pharmacist job market is normal/not impacted.

You also have to remember, having a child earlier means less $$ can be devoted to paying back student loans and to retirement, thus lowering the $$ that can be compounded in the long-term and lowering your retirement in the accumulation phase.

I think that's called life.

Yeah this is not a good idea.

It's a lot of work, and people make it work, but if you were pregnant, you would make it work. But you aren't pregnant, so why put yourself in that situation? It's pretty hard to study when one has an infant in the house, and until you have a child, you probably can't imagine what a major effect it will have on your day to day life. I would wait, at a minimum until you have your pharmacy license, but ideally until you have a year of work under your belt and qualify for FMLA.

If the pregnancy's a surprise and you want the baby, that's one thing. PLANNING to have children during pharmacy school? No way Jose'. Just because the medical school looks like a Lamaze class doesn't mean the pharmacy school should too. You do sound like you've thought about it more than most people who do it.

(The number of women who had kids during medical school knocked my socks off. They couldn't all have been accidents or surprises, and when I mentioned this to another classmate, she had wondered the same thing and was told that it's not a good idea to be pregnant during residency, and it can creep into the high risk territory by the time a woman gets through that and has her career established, so that's why they have their babies while in school.)

You are not stupid for wanting a baby right now. It's not unusual at all for teenagers to (usually) secretly want to have a baby, but they generally do not act on it. It's a natural, instinctive, normal thing.

My friend had two kids during medical school... god bless her for a grand total of three children. Luckily she has strong family support and a husband who is an exec making them financially sound.

First, you guys are not doing well financially. He makes $18 an hour and works 60 hours a week? What if his hours get cut? That happens all of the time.

Second, you have a mortgage and student loan.

Third, what is the rush? The guys are still young.

Have a kid during your first year of work. You can then take a leave and still get paid. He can too (at least that is how it is in California).

Reactions: 2 users
Have a kid during your first year of work. You can then take a leave and still get paid. He can too (at least that is how it is in California).

I think the FMLA protections kick in after one year and X # of hours at work over those 12 months. The earliest you could conceive would be approx ~4 months into a new job assuming a full term pregnancy and the final month off.

Members don't see this ad :)
So young. So stupid.
I would never dream to initiate a response in such a harsh way; however, you deserve it. I can tell, like so many on here, you're a catfish desperate for attention.

A greasy mechanic, every small town girls dream husband. I bet he's hot as hell and you: well, are just fading glory. You'll keep it together for a few (three) years. He'll let you service him while you brain up, blow up and become bitter. Over 25 years in the profession, I've seen this at least a hundred times and always the same story/result. Now all the contrarians will run to their typewriters to craft their 'fantasy' stories of how they're the exception. HOGWASH!
Married at 18, statutory rape must be in that timeline someplace but you got a ring from him, heehaw! I can feel the pride in your post. A course in self-esteem is needed but you can't raise a brood of dysfunctional brats (they won't be bastards, at least) if you are aware of your shortcomings. I can only imagine 'how good' the marriage is if you 'need' to have a baby. Is he cheating/lost interest already? He's going to be attractive to women (and men) till his 50's. You: are done. The baby, a career killer and a source to feed your views of failure for the rest of your life.

Have a child but not be available to raise it or pawn it off on others. I see 'parent of the year' coming. The kid is unimportant, keeping the 'hot' husband is. Unfortunately, the pressures of school and pregnancy are making you fat and miserable. Mechanic husband is looking better than ever. Forbidden fruit in a town of locals and an unappreciative wife. He'll be lubing up more than chassis soon enough. (Not your husband, sure.)
Lacking attention from husband after 'bearing his fruit', you start spitting out kids, overdrive style. You at $80/hour = lots of baby raisers. Bad for you: husband has injury, $0/hour and starts drinking (gallons, more than normal).
I could continue the tale of your future but really could care less. However, you bring your bitcherie into the pharmacy. You become impossible to work with. The pent up rage and misdirected anger are just unbearable for the those forced to work with you. You've failed at being a 'good' parent. The pressure of that alone is crushing but doing it alone now, 'is out of the question'. You convince yourself to stick it out, 'for the kids'. Spoiling them, with stuff, but without Mommy. Professionally, you become petty and obnoxious as you realize you work to support an absentee husband and un-parented children. Your resolve as 'the victim' becomes cemented. The assembly line pharmacy, once the emblem of your 'good life' now mocks you with supercilious tasks. Your children hate you and when you and husband (he's still hot, you:not) are together, it's nonstop fighting about his lazy ass, girlfriend, habits, illegitimate children and ...

Of course, this could never be your life. It also resonates with no one on this forum either. Sure.
Your selfishness, to even consider having a child, to continue your marriage offends me. To think the world should drop it's drawers because 'you want' X,Y,Z clearly demonstrates why your tubes need to be tied and a divorce attorney's counsel should be sought.
Your desperation to keep the husband will no doubt propel you through school. You'll cut and claw your way through any obstacles to keep your man. Do everyone a favor, work alone.

Hope this helps.
Happy Holidays!

Reactions: 1 users
Be careful getting pregnant in pharmacy school. Pharmacy is a small world!

So young. So stupid.
I would never dream to initiate a response in such a harsh way; however, you deserve it. I can tell, like so many on here, you're a catfish desperate for attention.

A greasy mechanic, every small town girls dream husband. I bet he's hot as hell and you: well, are just fading glory. You'll keep it together for a few (three) years. He'll let you service him while you brain up, blow up and become bitter. Over 25 years in the profession, I've seen this at least a hundred times and always the same story/result. Now all the contrarians will run to their typewriters to craft their 'fantasy' stories of how they're the exception. HOGWASH!
Married at 18, statutory rape must be in that timeline someplace but you got a ring from him, heehaw! I can feel the pride in your post. A course in self-esteem is needed but you can't raise a brood of dysfunctional brats (they won't be bastards, at least) if you are aware of your shortcomings. I can only imagine 'how good' the marriage is if you 'need' to have a baby. Is he cheating/lost interest already? He's going to be attractive to women (and men) till his 50's. You: are done. The baby, a career killer and a source to feed your views of failure for the rest of your life.

Have a child but not be available to raise it or pawn it off on others. I see 'parent of the year' coming. The kid is unimportant, keeping the 'hot' husband is. Unfortunately, the pressures of school and pregnancy are making you fat and miserable. Mechanic husband is looking better than ever. Forbidden fruit in a town of locals and an unappreciative wife. He'll be lubing up more than chassis soon enough. (Not your husband, sure.)
Lacking attention from husband after 'bearing his fruit', you start spitting out kids, overdrive style. You at $80/hour = lots of baby raisers. Bad for you: husband has injury, $0/hour and starts drinking (gallons, more than normal).
I could continue the tale of your future but really could care less. However, you bring your bitcherie into the pharmacy. You become impossible to work with. The pent up rage and misdirected anger are just unbearable for the those forced to work with you. You've failed at being a 'good' parent. The pressure of that alone is crushing but doing it alone now, 'is out of the question'. You convince yourself to stick it out, 'for the kids'. Spoiling them, with stuff, but without Mommy. Professionally, you become petty and obnoxious as you realize you work to support an absentee husband and un-parented children. Your resolve as 'the victim' becomes cemented. The assembly line pharmacy, once the emblem of your 'good life' now mocks you with supercilious tasks. Your children hate you and when you and husband (he's still hot, you:not) are together, it's nonstop fighting about his lazy ass, girlfriend, habits, illegitimate children and ...

Of course, this could never be your life. It also resonates with no one on this forum either. Sure.
Your selfishness, to even consider having a child, to continue your marriage offends me. To think the world should drop it's drawers because 'you want' X,Y,Z clearly demonstrates why your tubes need to be tied and a divorce attorney's counsel should be sought.
Your desperation to keep the husband will no doubt propel you through school. You'll cut and claw your way through any obstacles to keep your man. Do everyone a favor, work alone.

Hope this helps.
Happy Holidays!

1 word: EPIC WIN

I think the Op is a little oblivious. Your husband is making 18 bucks per hour and working 60 hours a week and you said you are doing well financially. No you are not doing well, you are doing ok. Now when you haVe the baby you will pay for baby sitters as you husband is working 12 hrs a day and you will be at school. Is your husband job stable? Any way you are only 22. Yo have plenty of time to make babiez

Adding to what people have said, financially this is a terrible idea. If you were doing okay financially your loans would not be going towards the house payment (or anything other than tuition really). On top of that, now you are paying off the mortgage that has interest with a loan that has a higher interest rate. If your husband is working 60 hours and you think you have time for a kid, I would suggest asking for more hours at Walgreens.

How about a puppy instead. On a serious note, seems like majority of health care professionals end up having babies in early 30's, not 20's. Enjoy your success, pay off your loans, save up then revist this idea.

I think your husband should consider Going back to school. Hard to do manual labor 12 hours a day. Which means you will have to support him for a while

Holy ****, are there any major life decisions you haven't rushed into or is having a kid the last one on the list?

Not that big of a shocker to me -- you'll note the OP has family in the area and husband has a stable job in the area. Also, the $18/hr thing ... must be somewhere off the coasts/in a low cost area because $18/hr is like poverty where I'm at (and what our interns make, roughly). This is probably an area where the pharmacist job market is normal/not impacted.

I think that's called life.

You're right, hopefully wherever she is, 18/hr is considered decent and does sound like an area not as desirable for most new pharm grads.

It was food for thought. Honestly I nor anyone I know had a clue about thinking towards retirement when we graduated, many young people weren't. I stumbled on it by accident, learned, at a relatively young age fortunately. I think people who learn about it would've maybe made different decisions in their early working life had they known they had to actually save. It does surprise me some people enter retirement age and finally realize "Oh we had to save?! I've only got like 100K to last me 20 years, I could never retire, it's impossible!" (smacks head on table)
So young. So stupid.

Hope this helps.
Happy Holidays!

Lol Daamnn that's strong. But going by the detail sounds like he/she isn't making it up. Though I hope this doesn't happen to OP. If I had a uterus to incubate a kid I wouldn't want to subject it to the stresses of pharm school, imo. There's also no guarantee your family or siblings would help...how do you know they won't bail b/c you'll end up needing them a lot more than you thought? And have you considered maybe the stress you could put on them?

You can wait till P4 year when you're almost done w/rotations or better once you find work as mentioned before. There's no need to rush and make a big life decision based off momentary emotions on wanting a baby. You can wait a year or 2. You're young yeah? Probably in a 0-6 program, so you'll be done earlier.

And yeah not sure that's a great financial situation unless real estate is <100K where you're at. Who paid for the townhouse? Any cosignors? Working 60 hours/week is hard on him or anyone. How much student debt do you have? 40K, 130K? Big difference.

Last edited:
So young. So stupid.

Hope this helps.
Happy Holidays!

Is this a summary of a Danielle Steele novel?

So young. So stupid.

Hope this helps.
Happy Holidays!

LOL

You have so much time still; terrible idea for you and it will ruin you financially because you are not doing nearly as well as you think you are. Hold your horses at least a few years more.

Listen to opiondawgsir stY single dont ruin yr body girl

Go ahead and get pregnant. I had classmates push out kids during finals week. What's the big deal? You're married.

Doesn't look like you got much in the way of serious advice. I did it - my oldest was born at the start of my 3rd rotation. It wasn't ideal, and I didn't get to take boards with my classmates, but that's sort of a distant memory now since she is 11. Would I do it the same way? Probably not.

You're very young. A couple of years is not that long to wait in the grand scheme of things. Finish school first.

One of my classmates did it, she took a year off. She was a 1pd.

I did it. Hubbs had cancer and I was older. We had to do IVF and eventually I had my son during rotations. Spending 4 weeks with your kid then handing him/her off to a family member or daycare to et back to work SUCKS. Doable, but SUCKS. If you were 30 Id say go for it. Youre young. If all goes well your eggs are awesome. Having a kid limited my participation on rotations. Couldnt really stay late. Had to pump in weird places. Had to lose even more sleep working on projects. Hubbs had to stay home two months (your hubbs working 60 hour weeks doesnt sound like hell be able to help much!).

I was 30 at the time. I just had my second (and last) baby using the last of our frozen embryos. This time I had a solid year of working/saving. Had PTOs and went back part time after 8 weeks. What a difference! In fact, I keep paper calendars and was just looking my my schedule from when I was in school. It was so crazy!

1. Good luck getting pregnant at the perfect time so that you exactly hit that 3 week time slot in May. #1 rule of pregnancy: it doesn't cooperate with your schedule.

2. Unlike most of the above posters, I don't think think having a baby in the 4th year is a bad idea. It seems like half my class did it. We had 12 months to complete 9 rotations and thus got to preference 3 off months. I took off 2 months when my baby was born. I'll never get paternity leave like that again.

We had quite a few people get pregnant and even give birth during finals week. I guess it's person dependent. Some people can handle it just fine, and even succeed to residency and beyond. For me, I don't feel ready for that sort of responsibility in pharmacy school, now or even 10 years from now. Just depends. :)