Being professional with former patient

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sushi1022

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from a midsize city in Illinois. I used to work as a staff in a residential treatment facility in for women with severe mental illness. I now work in a different profession.

I recently was at a get-together with a group of friends. Somehow the topic of MI came up and my friend's colleague mentioned to me she was a consumer in the facility in which I worked. I was quite taken aback as she did not appear low functioning as were most of the consumers I worked with. It is possible she was never my patient.

Curious as to advice on how to proceed while remaining ethical in terms of remaining in touch with the individual, as she is in my social circle, and any other advice pertinent to remaining professional as a former mental health worker. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unless you are having sex with this person, I am unclear what you are worried about? You obviously dont remember her and she doesn't remember you.

More like uncomfortable...since it's weird to be having drinks with your former schizophrenia patient.

Members don't see this ad :)
More like uncomfortable...since it's weird to be having drinks with your former schizophrenia patient.
If she was never your patient and neither of you remember each other (and potentially never interacted), I fail to see why you need to treat her any differently than you would otherwise (minus the not sleeping with her thing erg mentioned). I mean, your previous associations with this facility don't seem to have given either of you information about each other or have created a power imbalance.

But you said it's possible she was never there while you worked there. Maybe just move forward assuming that's the case. No big deal.

I agree with the others. You're not clearly stating (or aware of) this person as your former patient, which makes all the difference.

If you predicate your thoughts and actions on the basis that everyone is basically equal, regardless of the presence or absence of mental illness, then you should not have any problems socializing with this person (regardless of being a "former schizophrenia patient" or a "low functioning" consumer), and as futureapppsy2 stated, there is no power imbalance. The imbalance will only exist if you were privy to private clinical information or if you have an issue with socializing with this type of person. The former is unethical; the latter is personal choice & a personal bias IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Agree with the others--particularly if this person was never a patient/client of yours, whether or not they were at your hospital or facility is fairly inconsequential. Try to think of it this way: if it were unethical to have social relationships with people served by your facility (but not by you directly), folks working at large hospitals in relatively small cities would never be able to leave their houses.

If you have specific memories of this person, I can see how it would be somewhat awkward at first. If, on the other hand, you are simply uncomfortable socializing with somebody who happens to have a diagnosis of schizophrenia, well that's a whole other discussion.

Last edited:
Agree with the others--particularly if this person was never a patient/client of yours, whether or not they were at your hospital or facility is fairly inconsequential. Try to think of it this way: if it were unethical to have social relationships with people served by your facility (but not by you directly), folks working at large hospitals in relatively small cities would never be able to leave their houses.

This is the best way to put it. I'm not seeing the big deal here.