Being pulled out of med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

omnipotentx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I spoke with a psychiatrist who said that during medical school many of her friends did HPSP and were pulled out of school to go to Iraq I and Saudi Arabia. She also said one of her friends started a practice after finishing her 4 year service repayments and was pulled away from her practice, losing all money she had put into it.

Is this correct? Did this happen and can it still happen?

Is she confusing Reserves with HPSP or is she correct?

-Jeff

Members don't see this ad.

omnipotentx said:
So, I spoke with a psychiatrist who said that during medical school many of her friends did HPSP and were pulled out of school to go to Iraq I and Saudi Arabia. She also said one of her friends started a practice after finishing her 4 year service repayments and was pulled away from her practice, losing all money she had put into it.

Is this correct? Did this happen and can it still happen?

Is she confusing Reserves with HPSP or is she correct?

-Jeff

One can certainly be "pulled out" of their civilian practice after completing the active duty service commitment, if they have not resigned their commission (remain as a reservist in the IRR). See my thread on resigning commission.

I highly doubt that an HPSP student would be "pulled out" for deployment, as HPSP students are classified as "inactive" reservists.

You can't get pulled out of medical school.

When you take a 4 year HPSP scholarship, you owe 4 years active duty and 4 years reserve. When you leave active duty, you have the option of being on inactive or active reserves. As someone else pointed out here, no physician has been called to active duty from the inactive list since WWII. Active reservists on the other hand are a different story. They get paid a monthly amount and do annual drills.

Yes it is possible to suffer devestating financial losses if you are an active reservist in private practice. However the person should have signed up for the inactive list.

Members don't see this ad :)
IgD said:

When you take a 4 year HPSP scholarship, you owe 4 years active duty and 4 years reserve. When you leave active duty, you have the option of being on inactive or active reserves. As someone else pointed out here, no physician has been called to active duty from the inactive list since WWII. Active reservists on the other hand are a different story. They get paid a monthly amount and do annual drills.

Yes it is possible to suffer devestating financial losses if you are an active reservist in private practice. However the person should have signed up for the inactive list.

Right on. A member of our group is an active reservist who has spent almost the past year in Iraq. Our medical group has had to take up donations for him and his family because of the severe financial hardship they have experienced as a result of his recall to active duty. The reserves and civilian practice do not mix!!

IgD said:

Are you sure about no IRR recalls since WW2? I was told by an enlisted guy that some were recalled during Desert Storm. I distinctly remember this conversation, because he told me that the Docs were so fat that they had to order special uniforms for them.

island doc said:
Are you sure about no IRR recalls since WW2? I was told by an enlisted guy that some were recalled during Desert Storm. I distinctly remember this conversation, because he told me that the Docs were so fat that they had to order special uniforms for them.

Find somewhere else to troll.

IgD,
Your info on recalls is inaccurate. There were plenty of inactive recalls during Shield/Storm.

Croooz said:
IgD,
There were plenty of inactive recalls during Shield/Storm.

I know that warfighters were recalled to active duty from the inactive reserve list however I'm not aware of any physicians who were recalled. There is another thread in this forum where this was discussed a while back. Do you have a link with other information?

IgD said:
Find somewhere else to troll.

I don't see how asking a question based upon conflicting information from another source is "trolling".

I understand that many folks that attended medical school as reservists, not HPSP, did get pulled into Gulf War 1 & 2.

But as an HPSP student getting activated, what the heck would you be qualified to do? You can't treat patients as a clinician and not qualified as a corpsman and nothing in between.....emptying bed pans may be the only thing one could do.

I simply say this to cast doubt on the idea of HPSP students being activated for active duty. Its an urban legend.