Being up-to-date as a therapists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steveoh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do therapists stay up-to-date as a non-Phd therapist? Could they join APA?

Members don't see this ad.

"up to date" on what? politics of the field, scope of practice, licensing laws, ethics, education and training issues, research?

"up to date" on what? politics of the field, scope of practice, licensing laws, ethics, education and training issues, research?

yes particularly scope of practice, ethics. Any topic that will help me become an effective therapist.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe master's level practitioners can hold associate membership in the APA.

And not that my word means much, but I imagine there's got to be journals and conferences to help keep your skills/knowledge current.

Master's level practitioners have their own associations... ACA, AAMFT, and NASW.

You can join the APA as an "associate" with a Masters level degree in Psychology, Social Work, Counseling, and any other related fields. jdawgg is correct in stating that NASW provides membership exclusively for social workers, the scope of their function also incorporates a code of ethics that social workers adhere by as well.