Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Bellevue in the News

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by secretmiss, Apr 14, 2004.

1. secretmiss

secretmiss Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Is Bellevue really unsafe? The whole mob-related drug bust, lack of security, and patient rape stories coming out this week are a little upsetting to me as a potential NYU student. I know its NYC, but that's alot of bad press for one week. Any thoughts?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TheFlash

TheFlash Playtime Is Over
    10+ Year Member

My interviewer at school XXX (the director of Medical Education at a top 20 school) was reeling when I told him that I was considering NYU because of its clinicals at Bellevue. He said that Bellevue was overrated and that I'd probably "get shot in one of the stairwells during rotations." Of course, I shrugged it off as competitive anti-NYU rhetoric, but this new stuff in the news is discouraging.

4. BioMedResearch

BioMedResearch Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

5. TRUE

TRUE slacker extraordinaire
    7+ Year Member

I think it was a pretty big coincidence that this all happened in a week (though, even though I live in NYC, i only heard about the rape story). The rape was a highly unfortunate set of circumstances. They had some psycho guy who came in with his wife, who was a patient. He was allowed into the hospital to see her. I'm not sure what more you can do about that, short of posting guards on every floor looking down the hallways and questioning people all day.

I did hear that a homeless patient once killed a resident in a stairwell (that was at the end of the rape story article). Would I be worried about all of this? No. Crazy things happen at all hospitals, especially in NY.

6. bobbo

bobbo Member
    7+ Year Member

I work at Bellevue Hospital...and I gotta tell you, security is a joke.

Their response to the rape and the guy selling drugs and guns out of his locker? Checking photo IDs of everyone who comes in. Thats it. Today it looks like they've set up a little more security, maybe having people sign in, but its not like they're putting people through metal detectors or searching bags or anything like that.

Do I personally feel unsafe? Not really, but I don't really hang out much here during the night nor do I really work in the main hospital area.

7. TRUE

TRUE slacker extraordinaire
    7+ Year Member

I'm not defending Bellevue at all, but checking ID's is pretty much all hopsitals do. Some require a sign-in, but I'm not sure what good that does either. Though there might be some hospitals out there with metal detectors, I've never seen one.

8. BioMedResearch

7+ Year Member

How scary is it at night? Is the main hospital area the dangerous part? We didn't go on interview day and I've always been curious what a "public" hospital is lacking in what a "private" hospital has.

9. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

forgive me for being ignorant, but where can i read the news story?

10. bobbo

bobbo Member
    7+ Year Member

Things to keep in mind about Bellevue: it's the main public hospital in NY as well as the main psychiatric hospital in the city. Like any public hospital they treat a majority of patients who are very poor, and since poverty is the root of almost all crime, you would expect a higher crime rate. There is also a big homeless shelter on first ave between NYU and Bellevue which adds to the problem.

I don't think safety issues should dissuade you from coming to NYU, you just have to be careful.

11. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

12. ndlaxplayr

ndlaxplayr New Member

I spent a year and a half working in the ER of Bellvue and learned a tremendous amount. I always felt safe there because there were ALWAYS NY City cops coming into the ER with patients. It is a great place to learn and practice your skills since they need all the extra hands they can get. As long as you use common sense saftey should not be any more of a concern than if you were working in any other major city hospital. My time spent at Bellvue was outstanding and has helped me in so many ways since I have started med school. I think you would be foolish to not consider working/training there simply because of the latest stories in the news.

13. marctam86

marctam86 registered user
    10+ Year Member

Hey, I'm doing research now at Bellevue. I dont really feel unsafe there, keep in mind its a large hospital in a large city. Theres not much that can be done security-wise, without inconveniencing hundreds of people. As of now, they check photo id's at the entrance and employee id's at the elevator. They also built a police booth at the sidewalk entrance. I dont think its very effective, I'm sure a resourceful rapist could get through.

14. BioMedResearch

7+ Year Member

Just what I want in the back of mind when walking home after clinic.

:(

15. darkcity998

darkcity998 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

my god, even the people you treat may be criminals - security is just something you would have to consider even before deciding on medicine. this is no surprise. being a doctor is a public service.

16. derisivewords

derisivewords Member
    7+ Year Member

A doctor was murdered at MGH last year. Serious crime happens in hospitals occasionally. Sure Bellevue isn't some Westchester community hospital, but it's not the Bushwick neighborhood of Brooklyn, either.

17. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

That's it, I'm withdrawing.

Except they already rejected me.