Belmont SOP CO 2014 Questions & Answers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BelmontUSOP2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's the time of the year for the start of PharmCAS application filing.

If you have questions specific to Belmont University's pharmacy program, feel free to post them. I (and other members of the BUSOP community: faculty and students and SDN friends) will do our best to answer them as quickly and completely as we can.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Professor of Pharmacy
Belmont USOP

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I'm interested in Belmont School of Pharmacy, but after reviewing the website I have a concern. How integral is the Christian faith in the pharmacy school? Are there mandatory bible classes? Chapel?

Thanks.

Belmont U is a university that intends to offer a welcoming environment to any student, regardless of faith/lack thereof. At the same time, BU is a community that asks all of its members to accept that the Univ is rooted in a Baptist history and does nothing to hide that background.

At the graduate level, there are no required courses in theology, nor any requirements to espouse any faith or to attend any type of religious activity. There are some, specific, but limited, requirements at the UG level.

Our pharmacy student body refects a broad range of faith traditions; the diversity reflects the diversity of the student body. The faculty, however, are Christian, as per a requirement of employment.

I would be quite happy to make arrangements to have members of the student body address your questions directly if it would help you get the answers you are seeking.

Dr. Eric H. Hobson
Associate Dean
BUSOP

Members don't see this ad :)
Belmont U is a university that intends to offer a welcoming environment to any student, regardless of faith/lack thereof. At the same time, BU is a community that asks all of its members to accept that the Univ is rooted in a Baptist history and does nothing to hide that background.

At the graduate level, there are no required courses in theology, nor any requirements to espouse any faith or to attend any type of religious activity. There are some, specific, but limited, requirements at the UG level.

Our pharmacy student body refects a broad range of faith traditions; the diversity reflects the diversity of the student body. The faculty, however, are Christian, as per a requirement of employment.

I would be quite happy to make arrangements to have members of the student body address your questions directly if it would help you get the answers you are seeking.

Dr. Eric H. Hobson
Associate Dean
BUSOP

Thank you Dr. Hobson. You answered my question perfectly. :love:

I have a lot of respect for the Christian faith and the wonderful values it can bring to an institution. However, I myself am not a Christian and I was concerned my own faith may not be respected (with some understanding if the students and faculty expect everyone else to be Christian, too) and/or I may be taught Christian views/The Bible along with my pharmacy classes. I just want to be respected the way I try to respect everyone else. :) I'm VERY interested in Belmont and this makes me very much more excited to come visit the campus!!

Thank you.

SDNers:

The purpose of each thread that exists on SDN is to address a defined issue and to meet the needs of a specific subset of the larger SDN population. This thread was started, as were the hundreds of other currently active and inactive threads that exist alongside it, to meet a defined purpose (provide a forum to ask questions related to Belmont University School of Pharmacy with the guarantee of receiving answers that have veracity).

To that end, I ask that we all also remember that as members (current or desired) of the pharmacy community, we uphold the standards of professionalism, civility and empathy that are the hallmarks of this professional community. The focus of all counselling activity (patient-centered, or other) begins with honoring the value of the other partners in the conversation, listening intently, placing their needs before ones own, and attempting to provide the best advice possible....and, recognizing when to not offer up comment or advice if it falls outside of one's expertise or most-pressing purpose.

This thread's purpose is clear. Other topics, valuable as they might be, have the ability to carve out a dedicated, focused space for interested SDN members to discuss the issues in the depth that they warrant.

I continue to maintain a membership in the SDN community because, as I've stated repeatedly, it provides me a means to repay the mentors that I have had in the past. Their advice and concern have been foundational to my ability to do the many things that I've enjoyed over the past 20+ years as a pharmacy educator.

This thread will continue as long as it addresses a need among the members of this community. I look forward to continuing the productive conversations that typify the vast majority of those in which I participate. Keep the questions about Belmont USOP and your needs coming this way.

Respectfully,

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Associate Dean
Belmont USOP

SDNers:

The purpose of each thread that exists on SDN is to address a defined issue and to meet the needs of a specific subset of the larger SDN population. This thread was started, as were the hundreds of other currently active and inactive threads that exist alongside it, to meet a defined purpose (provide a forum to ask questions related to Belmont University School of Pharmacy with the guarantee of receiving answers that have veracity).

To that end, I ask that we all also remember that as members (current or desired) of the pharmacy community, we uphold the standards of professionalism, civility and empathy that are the hallmarks of this professional community. The focus of all counselling activity (patient-centered, or other) begins with honoring the value of the other partners in the conversation, listening intently, placing their needs before ones own, and attempting to provide the best advice possible....and, recognizing when to not offer up comment or advice if it falls outside of one's expertise or most-pressing purpose.

This thread's purpose is clear. Other topics, valuable as they might be, have the ability to carve out a dedicated, focused space for interested SDN members to discuss the issues in the depth that they warrant.

I continue to maintain a membership in the SDN community because, as I've stated repeatedly, it provides me a means to repay the mentors that I have had in the past. Their advice and concern have been foundational to my ability to do the many things that I've enjoyed over the past 20+ years as a pharmacy educator.

This thread will continue as long as it addresses a need among the members of this community. I look forward to continuing the productive conversations that typify the vast majority of those in which I participate. Keep the questions about Belmont USOP and your needs coming this way.

Respectfully,

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Associate Dean
Belmont USOP

Hi, My brother is interested in going to Belmont in the upcoming future, most likely c/0 2014.

He has asked me to post here asking a few questions.

Do you feel that, in 2014, when he graduates, he will be competitive in the job market with the expected market saturation because there are various other new schools expected to start pumping out graduates?

Also, what do you feel Belmont has to offer that other schools already present in the state can't offer?

Hope this all fits in the purpose of this thread.

Thanks and I look forward to your speedy response! :)

I've tried to place answers below (in blue text) near to the question to make certain that I manage to address them all:

Hi, My brother is interested in going to Belmont in the upcoming future, most likely c/0 2014.

He has asked me to post here asking a few questions.

Do you feel that, in 2014, when he graduates, he will be competitive in the job market with the expected market saturation because there are various other new schools expected to start pumping out graduates?

This is an issue that I can say nothing certain about; however, I believe that one's marketability is defined by willingness to seek opportunities. Many of the gloom and doom stories circulating about market constriction have an undercurrent of inflexibility behind them: specifically, when individuals are not willing to consider changes (practice sites, work schedules, geographic shifts, scope of responsibilities, etc.) they severly restrict their options. This is a choice on their part; however, the conversation that begins to swirl wants to place the onus on "the system" or some "other", when an equal part of the burden is of the individual's making.

There are market projections that I have seen (some presented earlier this week in Boston at the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy meeting) that show continuing employment needs well into the future, but that these jobs reflect the growth and exansion of pharmacy into new practice areas. The possibility of job stagnation within big-box, retail Rx is not news: this issue has been forecast for more than 15 years. That said, please appreciate the gift that pharmacy is likely to get from the Health Care legislation that will emerge this year: the certainty in the resulting legislation will be exanded access to prescription medication theraphy to sectors of the citizenry that has been systematically excluded to access in the current insurance-based HC model. Coupled to this expansion, you must also factor population growth (particularly within the elderly population). These factors will mandate high-levels of pharmay involvement in US HC.

In short, I see opportunities. Many of these will be much more interesting than opportunities available to prior generations of pharmacy practitioners.

Also, what do you feel Belmont has to offer that other schools already present in the state can't offer?

Our curriculum is designed with a strong commitment to four areas in the core: pharmacotheraphy, management, informatics, and missions. Each student also chooses one of these four foci to concentrate her studies in through elective offerings. The curriculum includes 30 semester hours of electives. We also have the advantage of being situated in the state capital and within 3 blocks of Vanderbilt Medical Center and within 1 mile of the international headquarters of the Hospital Corporation of America. Both of these organizations are strong supporters of our program and are leaders in their niche of HC.

Hope this all fits in the purpose of this thread.

Thanks and I look forward to your speedy response! :)

I hope that the comments above begin to address the questions asked.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Associate Dean
Belmont USOP

I've tried to place answers below (in blue text) near to the question to make certain that I manage to address them all:

I hope that the comments above begin to address the questions asked.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Associate Dean
Belmont USOP

Yes, I believe the comments have addressed the concerns I was referring to. And I can't agree more with you on the matter of the unwillingness of graduates to move to unsaturated areas away from the sunny California shores and other desirable living locations.

Thanks for the response.

Dr. Hobson,

What would you say to applicants who are looking to pursue residencies and steer clear of retail? What is Belmont doing to address the needs of students who wish to follow the path to other practice areas, as many residents come from the older, much more established pharmacy schools?

Thanks for your time and starting this thread!

Dr. Hobson,

What would you say to applicants who are looking to pursue residencies and steer clear of retail? What is Belmont doing to address the needs of students who wish to follow the path to other practice areas, as many residents come from the older, much more established pharmacy schools?

Thanks for your time and starting this thread!

My advice is to recall that each year residencies all across the country go unfilled. There's a slot if you really want it and are flexible.

Also, remember that the impression of residency slots being filled in many cases by grads of older programs is accurate due to the reality of percentages: there are more grads currently from schools established pre2000, than those post 2000. The newer schools have graduated resident applicant only within the past 4 yrs or so and their total numbers are a small (but increasing) percentage of the total number of grads each year. Within the next 5 yrs this percentage will change even more....and, therefore, will the ratio of residents from old & new(er) programs.

The Belmont curric was designed with residency training as a hopeful next step in the professional training of our grads. While we don't assume that all grads will want to pursue this option, we believe (and our market analysis confirms) that the curricular concentrations within our program is a differentiator that residency directors will respond favorably to. Only a handful of existing programs have such a concentration requirement in their programs, and in none can you amass up to 30 semester credits in concentration. So, you can leave BUSOP with a strong entry-level PharmD with a credit-legit concentration in Pharmacotheraphy, Informatics, Management, or Missions/Public Health. As a former Residency Director, that's an eye-catcher as you are looking to sort out your intial applicants.

I hope that helps explain some of our thinking on the Belmont side of the equation.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Associate Dean
Belmont USOP

If you have questions specific to Belmont University's pharmacy program, feel free to post them. I (and other members of the BUSOP community: faculty and students and SDN friends) will do our best to answer them as quickly and completely as we can.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Professor of Pharmacy
Belmont USOP

I have a question concerning the acceptance rate of Belmont. Pharmcas showed there were 100 student accepted out of 550 interviewed. It is about 18%, while most schools have a much higher acceptance rate after getting interviewed (Creighton, and Auburn have exceptionally high acceptance rate). Doesn't Belmont consider that most of us are tight on money? I think it is inconsiderate of Belmont to schedule a lot of interviews knowing that 82% of us will be rejected.

I have a question concerning the acceptance rate of Belmont. Pharmcas showed there were 100 student accepted out of 550 interviewed. It is about 18%, while most schools have a much higher acceptance rate after getting interviewed (Creighton, and Auburn have exceptionally high acceptance rate). Doesn't Belmont consider that most of us are tight on money? I think it is inconsiderate of Belmont to schedule a lot of interviews knowing that 82% of us will be rejected.

GOOD POINT (if the numbers are true). This is the kind of criticism this person should be getting, not about new pharmacy schools opening up. This is an answer i'd like to see

"I have a question concerning the acceptance rate of Belmont. Pharmcas showed there were 100 student accepted out of 550 interviewed. It is about 18%, while most schools have a much higher acceptance rate after getting interviewed (Creighton, and Auburn have exceptionally high acceptance rate). Doesn't Belmont consider that most of us are tight on money? I think it is inconsiderate of Belmont to schedule a lot of interviews knowing that 82% of us will be rejected."

Out of curiosity on your legitimate question, have you looked into other schools? What their numbers are like as far as interviewed vs accepted? I'm curious to hear if you have even bothered, and if so how Belmont compares to the other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity on your legitimate question, have you looked into other schools? What their numbers are like as far as interviewed vs accepted? I'm curious to hear if you have even bothered, and if so how Belmont compares to the other schools.

Out of curiousity I looked up the three schools I applied for and came up with some interesting stuff.

USC interviews 30-40% of total applicants. Their average pool of applicants is 400. So at the inside (30% of 400), 120 people are interviewed. They matriculate 185 every year, and some applicants are accepted w/o an interview. This makes establising a ratio difficult for obvious reasons, and makes it hard to say if you get an interview whether you'll be accepted or not (Since number of interviews is fewer than number of matriculants).

Pacific interviews 250-300 students and matriculates 200. So even better odds of interview vs. acceptance there. (66%-80% interview:acceptance).

And finally, UCSF also interviews about 250 students, and their matriculation is 122 students (48% interview:acceptance)

I was pretty interested in ThePharmD's question. Belmont's interview to acceptance rate is abnormally low compared to many schools. As Passion showed in the post above mine most schools usually lie in the 30%-50% range. Makes me wonder if you even bothered to look at the numbers before you posted.

Dude! Look at pharmcas.org! All the data are there!

I was pretty interested in ThePharmD's question. Belmont's interview to acceptance rate is abnormally low compared to many schools. As Passion showed in the post above mine most schools usually lie in the 30%-50% range. Makes me wonder if you even bothered to look at the numbers before you posted.

To be honest, no I hadn't. I was more curious about the motives behind the question than the question itself. So far most of the people who have posted on this thread have been trying to attack Belmont's program or Dr. Hobson directly.

That being said, I went and looked through the PharmCAS website and you are correct. Belmont's accepted vs interviewed is pretty much the lowest percent that I came across(admittingly I didn't look up every school, I looked at about ten of them). I found a few that were in the 30% range, but nothing as low as Belmont's 18%.

I doubt that Dr. Hobson will ever respond to the question though, but I have an opinion on the matter. Belmont isn't fully accredited yet. Whether or not they get full accredidation will be determined in part by the student's they produce. In an effort to get accredited, they are interviewing a larger number of student's to try to get the best classes that they can. Can't blame them all that much in regards to that.

As for the added cost on pharmacy applicants, part of me feels for you and part of me shrugs it off. As I mentioned, I got accepted to 3 schools. I only applied to three schools. It's all the money I could afford. Up until I moved to Nashville, I worked a full time job while I did my pre-reqs. I don't live with my parents, nor do I live off of them. Applying for school was quite the financial burden. But to put it all at the feet of one school would be wrong. How about PharmCAS charging $140 + $40/school. Every school charges approx $100 for a supplemental application, and that's not even a guarantee that you get an interview. Then there's the cost of the PCAT. It adds up in a hurry. In that regards, I can agree with you about Belmont accepting an unusually low percent and it being a strain on students who are applying.....

But, during the three interviews I had, I routinely (I would say that almost 40-60%) of the other people who were interviewing told me that they had applied to 6+ schools. Several of them had been accepted to more than one and had paid their deposit (which would be non-refundable if they ended up not going to that school), but still wanted to see what other schools had to offer. The worst I heard was one guy who had applied to 10 schools, had paid a non-refundable deposit of $1,000 to a school and was still out there applying to different schools to see if he could find something that he really liked. So from this point, I have to shrug about the "added cost to pharmacy students". Before I was accepted to Belmont, I already knew I had been accepted to the other two schools. Thankfully my deposit deadline for the other two schools was after I found out about Belmont, or I probably wouldn't have gone to the interview. Regardless, I still spent money on airfare, hotel, car rental, supplemental application for the other two schools. Which all told means I spent an unnecessary $1,500. But it was a choice I made. I'm still glad that I got into Belmont and decided to go there. But the angle of "being a hardship on applying student's" I just don't buy it. The whole application process, not just Belmont, is a financial strain on students. Sadly, it is the system and I doubt it will change.

Just making those numbers up for the purpose of your argument sounds great but I would go out on a limb and say they are way of base.

Hey, who knows? The minimum requirement for Belmont is 2.7, but the kicker is that they only require 2.0 for the pre-pharmacy course-work. I'm not one to be an elitist prick, but a 2.0? Talk about setting the bar low... This isn't limbo... Or with the diploma mills, I guess it is. Regarding PCAT- Dr. Hobson had this to say about PCAT scores:

"At Belmont we've chosen not to set a minimum PCAT for admissions decisions. While we understand why many programs choose to do so, we believe in evaluating an entire applicant's history and want to learn as much about them as we can."

I.e., if you've got a pulse and can do basic arithmetic (And pay $12,000/semester for tuition), BU is 4U!

Hey, who knows? The minimum requirement for Belmont is 2.7, but the kicker is that they only require 2.0 for the pre-pharmacy course-work. I'm not one to be an elitist prick, but a 2.0? Talk about setting the bar low... This isn't limbo... Or with the diploma mills, I guess it is. Regarding PCAT- Dr. Hobson had this to say about PCAT scores:

"At Belmont we've chosen not to set a minimum PCAT for admissions decisions. While we understand why many programs choose to do so, we believe in evaluating an entire applicant's history and want to learn as much about them as we can."

I.e., if you've got a pulse and can do basic arithmetic (And pay $12,000/semester for tuition), BU is 4U!

Just because they are low doesn't necessarily mean they have accepted those students. It could be a way to attract more students to apply and to use the money to help further their program.

What are your motives here? A grown man on SDN trying to slander a university, I don't really get it.

Just because they are low doesn't necessarily mean they have accepted those students. It could be a way to attract more students to apply and to use the money to help further their program.

What are your motives here? A grown man on SDN trying to slander a university, I don't really get it.

Um..pretty sure the point that Passion4Sci is trying to make is that they shouldn't be getting applicant's hopes up by posting such a low GPA req, and then pocketing the money for themselves.

Also, this is the internet, if this guy didn't want anyone to talk about his university, than he shouldn't have posted anything. Now, should he have. You can't just post a thread and expect everyone else who writes on it to only say good things. Freedom of speech, sweetcheeks. Learn more about it.

I love that these forums are run by all knowing PRE-pharm students, who know everything about getting into pharmacy school. Passion4Sci is always ragging on students who will be paying high tuition, yet he/she is applying to a school which cost about 20,000k a semester. This entire pharmacy/pre-pharm forum has been turning into a joke. I don't know why someone would ever listen to this garbage...

To be honest, no I hadn't. I was more curious about the motives behind the question than the question itself. So far most of the people who have posted on this thread have been trying to attack Belmont's program or Dr. Hobson directly.

That being said, I went and looked through the PharmCAS website and you are correct. Belmont's accepted vs interviewed is pretty much the lowest percent that I came across(admittingly I didn't look up every school, I looked at about ten of them). I found a few that were in the 30% range, but nothing as low as Belmont's 18%.

I doubt that Dr. Hobson will ever respond to the question though, but I have an opinion on the matter. Belmont isn't fully accredited yet. Whether or not they get full accredidation will be determined in part by the student's they produce. In an effort to get accredited, they are interviewing a larger number of student's to try to get the best classes that they can. Can't blame them all that much in regards to that.

As for the added cost on pharmacy applicants, part of me feels for you and part of me shrugs it off. As I mentioned, I got accepted to 3 schools. I only applied to three schools. It's all the money I could afford. Up until I moved to Nashville, I worked a full time job while I did my pre-reqs. I don't live with my parents, nor do I live off of them. Applying for school was quite the financial burden. But to put it all at the feet of one school would be wrong. How about PharmCAS charging $140 + $40/school. Every school charges approx $100 for a supplemental application, and that's not even a guarantee that you get an interview. Then there's the cost of the PCAT. It adds up in a hurry. In that regards, I can agree with you about Belmont accepting an unusually low percent and it being a strain on students who are applying.....

But, during the three interviews I had, I routinely (I would say that almost 40-60%) of the other people who were interviewing told me that they had applied to 6+ schools. Several of them had been accepted to more than one and had paid their deposit (which would be non-refundable if they ended up not going to that school), but still wanted to see what other schools had to offer. The worst I heard was one guy who had applied to 10 schools, had paid a non-refundable deposit of $1,000 to a school and was still out there applying to different schools to see if he could find something that he really liked. So from this point, I have to shrug about the "added cost to pharmacy students". Before I was accepted to Belmont, I already knew I had been accepted to the other two schools. Thankfully my deposit deadline for the other two schools was after I found out about Belmont, or I probably wouldn't have gone to the interview. Regardless, I still spent money on airfare, hotel, car rental, supplemental application for the other two schools. Which all told means I spent an unnecessary $1,500. But it was a choice I made. I'm still glad that I got into Belmont and decided to go there. But the angle of "being a hardship on applying student's" I just don't buy it. The whole application process, not just Belmont, is a financial strain on students. Sadly, it is the system and I doubt it will change.

I don't buy your reasonings. Belmont should screen candidate applications more thoroughly before inviting them to an interview. Maybe Dr Hobson should help with the screening instead of spending time on SDN!

I'm pretty sure it'd be libel, not slander, since this is text and not spoken word. To further indicate that you're throwing around words you don't understand, you'll find that libel and slander both cannot be actioned against opinion. It is my opinion that Belmont is assisting in the dilution of Pharmacy as a profession.

Furthermore, I've got no dog in the fight, which is a pretty common phrase these days in SDN. I just think it's pretty pathetic that all these schools are popping up in response to a shortage that stopped being a shortage a couple of years ago. Belmont's not the only one, and there are more opening THIS year, too! Overall it will degrade the quality of the profession, I agree entirely with Mikey on this issue.

Dr. Hobson,

Could you please tell us the Stats of the incoming class of Fall 2009? For example, what the cGPA, sGPA, PCAT, etc. were? Thank you!

A reminder: The early decision window at Belmont USOP remains open for the remainder of August. Applications need to be completed by the first week of September.

See the school's website for full details.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Belmont USOP

Nashville, TN
Weather forecast: mid-to-upper 80s, partly cloudy.
A good day to weed the garden, cut the grass and eat BLTs.

Hi, I'm applying to Belmont this year and have quick questions.
1. I took Biostatistics instead of a regular statistics class. Does this fulfill Belmont's statistics requirement?
I emailed to the school of pharmacy to ask this questions but didn't get any response for few days..:cool:

2. Should we handwrite on the supplemental application?

Biostatistics will count for our Statistics pre-requisite.
The supplemental app is moving to a fully-online form within the next two weeks. If you aren't in a rush, just wait and type it in. Otherwise, do what you want...handwrite, type, calligraphy, airbrush.

Dr. Hobson

Hi, I'm applying to Belmont this year and have quick questions.
1. I took Biostatistics instead of a regular statistics class. Does this fulfill Belmont's statistics requirement?
I emailed to the school of pharmacy to ask this questions but didn't get any response for few days..:cool:

2. Should we handwrite on the supplemental application?

Hello,

Does Belmont offer any scholarships or grant money, or must the tuition be financed entirely through loans?

Thanks,
William

William

Yes, Belmont has scholarship/grant awards available. Some are competitive and require application (see website for details of current options), while others are awards made to admitted students based on such factors as need and/or academic history.

For the AY2009-2010, BUSOP has provided approx. $125,000 in scholarships and awards.

Meanwhile, the University is active in soliciting more and broader donor support that will be directed to scholarships and financial awards dedicated to the pharmacy program.

Currently, more than 50% of our students receive some grant/scholarship aid and most of this is in the form of continuing (4-yr) awards.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Associate Dean
Belmont USOP

Hello,

Does Belmont offer any scholarships or grant money, or must the tuition be financed entirely through loans?

Thanks,
William

Dr. Hobson,

I am having a bit of difficulty locating this scholarship information on your website. Could you please tell me if there is a separate application required for scholarship/grant money? Also, would I be informed along with a possible admissions offer whether I would be receiving such funds?

Thanks,
William Ginsberg

What is the cost of tuition per year?

This, and other relevant information is available on the Belmont University School of Pharmacy website in the "Admissions and Enrollment Information" section. See left-hand side bar on the home page.

What is the cost of tuition per year?

This info can be found on the School website under the "Admitted Student Information" pages, accessed from the left-hand sidebar of the homepage.

Dr. Hobson,

I am having a bit of difficulty locating this scholarship information on your website. Could you please tell me if there is a separate application required for scholarship/grant money? Also, would I be informed along with a possible admissions offer whether I would be receiving such funds?

Thanks,
William Ginsberg

Tomorrow begins orientation activites at Belmont for the start of the 2009-2010 acdemic year. 75 first-year students will join 72 second-year students in 2.5 days of programming leading up to the start of classes on Wednesday.

It's exciting and busy here.

In the midst of the bustle, however, I don't want folk to forget that the early decision deadline for Belmont is fast approaching. PharmCAS application deadline for our early decision program is Sept. 2. We are getting closer and closer to that date.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Associate Dean
Belmont Univeristy School of Pharmacy

As a current student of Belmont SOP, I have this that I want to share with you. When I applied to Belmont it was mainly just another school to apply to, I figured it still had pre-candidate status so why not apply. After looking more into the school, I am so glad that I applied and attended the interview. I was more welcomed at the interview, then I was at all my other pharmacy school interviews combined. I, like many other students have turned down offers at other schools to attend school here.

While some on here are worried that since Belmont has a low GPA/PCAT application requirement that it must mean that they will let in everyone, but it allows them to see the majority of the applicants who are interested in the school. I did my undergrad at a different school with a pharmacy program. That school is well established and has amazing stats on the individuals that they let in. I know individuals that would have given anything to be accepted into that program, but after you were accepted, they tossed you aside and focused on the next incoming class. Belmont looks for students who have the best "fit" for the program. Being a candidate school their status in the upcoming years depend on the quality of students that they accept into their program.

Belmont, for those who are unaware is also currently building a new state-of-the art pharmacy building that will be opening this summer. I urge you to look into the program, curriculum, and faculty members that Belmont has to offer.

When are the early decision interviews for Belmont going to be decided?

When are the early decision interviews for Belmont going to be decided?

There is an interview day scheduled for the middle of October. This will be for the early decision applications that are due by Sept 2.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Associate Dean
Belmont USOP

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Professor of Pharmacy
Belmont USOP
Hi there,

I am interested in this school. I have a question on pre-phamacy course. I have finished one English course for freshman and one additional English course in Critical Thinking. I want to use these course to substitute for English requirement since it require literature English. Can I do that? Please help out. THANKS

Hi there,

I am interested in this school. I have a question on pre-phamacy course. I have finished one English course for freshman and one additional English course in Critical Thinking. I want to use these course to substitute for English requirement since it require literature English. Can I do that? Please help out. THANKS

The information you provide is too sketchy to allow for a definitive answer. However, my best guess is that the courses you mention might fulfil the Composition and the Writing Emphasis requirements, but not the Literature requiremetn. That is, however, if the Critical Thinking course was a writing-based course...an extention of the first-year composition program at your university.

For more specific responses, I recommend that you contact Dr. Elinor Gray Chumney, our Assistant Dean for Student Affairs, who leads the school's admissions process. Her phone is 615.460.6747.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Associate Dean
Belmont USOP

The information you provide is too sketchy to allow for a definitive answer. However, my best guess is that the courses you mention might fulfil the Composition and the Writing Emphasis requirements, but not the Literature requiremetn. That is, however, if the Critical Thinking course was a writing-based course...an extention of the first-year composition program at your university.

For more specific responses, I recommend that you contact Dr. Elinor Gray Chumney, our Assistant Dean for Student Affairs, who leads the school's admissions process. Her phone is 615.460.6747.

Eric H. Hobson, Ph.D.
Associate Dean
Belmont USOP
Thanks for your answer. Does the school require TOEFL test for U.S permanent student? I have lived here for 4 years.