Below average! Am I doomed?What do I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rutuni12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently decided to do medicine, but I'm a senior now in Rutgers with biotechnology major. I have a 2.98 sGPA and 3.19 cGPA. I have Bs and Cs in bio,chem, physics, orgo, and systems physiology. My only A in science is in microbiology, and two semesters of physics labs. I have plenty of wet lab research experience(~2.5-3 yrs), for I worked at a lab since freshman year, and researched for credits there too. I have no clinical experience or community service. I am however president of an organization on campus. I feel my application is not even close to being competitive.
I also plan on doing research at the same lab over the summer, and study for mcats. I realize a good MCAT score(35) might make it hopeful, but is that enough? I will definitely volunteer for 6-8 months at the local hospital before I apply. In the year off, I plan to work.
Should I consider moving forward for applying to medical schools or forget about it and do something else?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Post Bacc/SMP --> Study butt off for MCAT and acquire more clinical exposure --> Apply in 2 or 3 years

I recently decided to do medicine, but I'm a senior now in Rutgers with biotechnology major. I have a 2.98 sGPA and 3.19 cGPA. I have Bs and Cs in bio,chem, physics, orgo, and systems physiology. My only A in science is in microbiology, and two semesters of physics labs. I have plenty of wet lab research experience(~2.5-3 yrs), for I worked at a lab since freshman year, and researched for credits there too. I have no clinical experience or community service. I am however president of an organization on campus. I feel my application is not even close to being competitive.
I also plan on doing research at the same lab over the summer, and study for mcats. I realize a good MCAT score(35) might make it hopeful, but is that enough? I will definitely volunteer for 6-8 months at the local hospital before I apply. In the year off, I plan to work.
Should I consider moving forward for applying to medical schools or forget about it and do something else?
If you have a "fire in the belly" to be a doctor, then you have more work to do before you'll be competitive. Get your cGPA up over a 3.0, get some As in upper-level Bio, get a strong MCAT score, then apply for Special Masters Programs which can override your low cGPA with excellent performance. See the Postbaccalaureate Programs Forum for more information.

In the meantime, beef up your ECs: clinical experience (1.5 years is average), physician shadowing (50 hours is average), regular nonmedical community service for a cause you care about (at least 50 hours per year), and some teaching. You already have some leadership and the research looks great.