Below average student, only 1 interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

membrname

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a below average DO student who is in need of some advice. I had to remediate a few classes during the first 2 years (mom died, dad started using drugs and my siblings ended up in foster care, so I was a bit distracted) and failed COMLEX 2 (but passed step 1 on the first try). I retook step 2 and should be getting my score next week. I have applied to all of the DO pediatrics programs and 50 MD pediatrics programs (all on the first possible day). I have received one MD interview, one email from an MD program saying "we are reviewing your application", and one MD rejection. I have a few questions:

1. When should I start worrying about not hearing back from any other programs?
2. If I get a good score next week, would that help at all, or is it more likely that I'm already sitting in the "no" pile at most programs?
3. Should I add some family medicine programs even though I am honestly only interested in treating kids?
4. If I do decide to add more programs, should I do it now before too much time has passed?

I know I have dug myself into a deep hole. I was just wondering if there is any hope and if anybody had an idea of how to get programs to give me a chance. I've met with the dean and associate dean at my school and gone over my file. They both agree that I am MUCH better in person than on paper and feel that if I can just get some interviews, I will be fine. All advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Im sorry you have gone through a lot of major life obstacles (to say the least) through school. :(
I don't think residency programs will hold any of that against you. Especially if you have the opportunity to explain.
If I were you I would add more programs if you are worried, it is a lot cheaper to throw a bunch more programs on and increase your odds of having plenty of places to interview/ rank than having to go through match again. However, it is still pretty early.
And just because you don't have many now doesn't mean you wont. Every program appears to move at their own pace. You may not be at the top of a programs list from your scores but that doesnt necessarily mean you wont ever get an offer.
And yes, Im sure another comlex score that is a good score will only help you. :)

Good luck! :)

Regarding #3, why would you apply to FM instead of applying to more Peds programs?
Which Peds programs did you apply to? Are they less competitive? DO friendly? IMGs and FMGs?
Also, is there a peds invite thread? Several of the IM programs I applied to haven't made it onto the IM invite thread so I assume IVs aren't flooding out from those places yet.

I am a below average DO student who is in need of some advice. I had to remediate a few classes during the first 2 years (mom died, dad started using drugs and my siblings ended up in foster care, so I was a bit distracted) and failed COMLEX 2 (but passed step 1 on the first try). I retook step 2 and should be getting my score next week. I have applied to all of the DO pediatrics programs and 50 MD pediatrics programs (all on the first possible day). I have received one MD interview, one email from an MD program saying "we are reviewing your application", and one MD rejection. I have a few questions:

1. When should I start worrying about not hearing back from any other programs?
2. If I get a good score next week, would that help at all, or is it more likely that I'm already sitting in the "no" pile at most programs?
3. Should I add some family medicine programs even though I am honestly only interested in treating kids?
4. If I do decide to add more programs, should I do it now before too much time has passed?

I know I have dug myself into a deep hole. I was just wondering if there is any hope and if anybody had an idea of how to get programs to give me a chance. I've met with the dean and associate dean at my school and gone over my file. They both agree that I am MUCH better in person than on paper and feel that if I can just get some interviews, I will be fine. All advice is greatly appreciated!

I'm sorry to hear about your mother and family problems. Out of curiosity, I can see how that can affect your schooling first two years causing you to remediate a few classes during that time, but do you feel like those life issues affected you COMLEX 2, or where there other factors? If I were you, as soon as you pass COMLEX 2 re-release your score ASAP and send out an update to those programs you are really interested in. As for FM, you need to ask yourself if you want to spend the extra money, time and effort to try and apply to another field, think you can interview well for a field you're not 100% interested in, and lastly think that's it's better to match into anything than go unmatched for one year. I know some FPs that focus solely on pediatrics. The choice is up to you. Good luck!

I agree on not applying to family medicine as a back up. I think a lot of family programs are aware that some people do this because FM is known to be a little less competitive. So it is a huge risk of you wasting your time (meaning some PD's might see through you) and not rank you for that reason. That is unless you have a compelling argument otherwise.

I would add more peds programs if i were you. I love FM and am sure that is what i want to do... I know I wouldnt be happy defaulting into another specialty if my heart belonged with another specialty. But that is everyones individual decision...just remember this is the career you have worked so hard for. Don't settle for doing something the rest of your life you will hate.

Thanks for all of the great responses! I have only applied to community programs and "low tier" university programs. I will look at the list again and see if there are some other programs I could add. As far as Step 2 goes, I made the horrible mistake of going home one week before the test and stressing myself out with how bad my dad looks. I'm kicking myself for doing that!

Thanks for all of the great responses! I have only applied to community programs and "low tier" university programs. I will look at the list again and see if there are some other programs I could add. As far as Step 2 goes, I made the horrible mistake of going home one week before the test and stressing myself out with how bad my dad looks. I'm kicking myself for doing that!

No reason to kick yourself regarding events that have happened in the past. What is done is done and just try to look forward and do your best. Good luck! Keep us posted. :)

Thanks :) it's hard not to get nervous when most of the peds applicants I talk to have 10+ interviews and I only have one. I check the peds forum probably way more than I should and it seems like so many of the programs I applied to have been offering interviews for weeks. I wish I had at least explained my faults a bit in my PS. Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose

Thanks :) it's hard not to get nervous when most of the peds applicants I talk to have 10+ interviews and I only have one. I check the peds forum probably way more than I should and it seems like so many of the programs I applied to have been offering interviews for weeks. I wish I had at least explained my faults a bit in my PS. Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose

I would apply to as many peds programs as you are able to, and to other lower competitive specialties as well. I disagree that FM programs "see through" people trying to match. Programs will make the decision of whether they want to IV you or not. FM needs man/woman power regardless, so if you apply, they will likely review your app. I would not "guess" what programs are thinking. If you are able to, go ahead and apply, and if you feel you can/want to do FM and get interviews, put your best foot forward on the IV. Playing detective with what PDs think is pointless.

I have frequently wondered why/how did certain programs IV me, and why have others not. It's pointless. You will never really know.

But it's cheaper to apply now than to not match.

The hard part about applying to fm programs is that I have two peds letters (and one family med letter), my PS is centered around peds and I think my MSPE even mentions how dedicated I am to pediatrics. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try anyway! Thanks for the advice!

The hard part about applying to fm programs is that I have two peds letters (and one family med letter), my PS is centered around peds and I think my MSPE even mentions how dedicated I am to pediatrics. I suppose it couldn't hurt to try anyway! Thanks for the advice!

Well you have a FM letter, then you are in good shape. You can always format things in a wise way in order to increase your chances. You got 1 FM and 2 peds letters? talk about how you like FM but would also be happy to see kids in your practice. You can write a new PS and talk about FM. and FM docs see kids.

It's your choice what you want to apply to ultimately, but keep in minds that both peds and FM are low on the competitive scale. So at this point it's important to increase the # of IVS you have. just trying to help you get a good outcome.

Oh and btw-your MSPE should not mention any specialty generally, precisely because of this. It should be a non-biased, neutral description of what you've done in med school, nothing else.

Very tough question, but it all depends on how "flexible" you are. Things to consider:

-A typical FM practice sees MOSTLY adults (more on the geriatric side). Will you be OK with that?

-MOST FM residencies focus on Adult medicine training (more so than kids)...How well of a Peds training you get will depend on the strength of your FM residency, and if it is opposed or unopposed. There are MANY FM docs who are still not very comfortable seeing truely sick kids.

-As for tailoring your FM practice towards seeing only kids....well, that is not very realistic, unless you own your own practice. Many employers will want you to see adults, if you are an FM.

So take this into consideration before you decide to go into FM. Pediatrics is not like FM minus adults, OB, gyn. It is a whole different animal......

Good Luck

Very tough question, but it all depends on how "flexible" you are. Things to consider:

-A typical FM practice sees MOSTLY adults (more on the geriatric side). Will you be OK with that?

-MOST FM residencies focus on Adult medicine training (more so than kids)...How well of a Peds training you get will depend on the strength of your FM residency, and if it is opposed or unopposed. There are MANY FM docs who are still not very comfortable seeing truely sick kids.

-As for tailoring your FM practice towards seeing only kids....well, that is not very realistic, unless you own your own practice. Many employers will want you to see adults, if you are an FM.

So take this into consideration before you decide to go into FM. Pediatrics is not like FM minus adults, OB, gyn. It is a whole different animal......

Good Luck

Hmmmmm that's tough. I enjoyed my family med rotations but honestly I couldn't see myself working with mostly adults for the rest of my life. I guess I'll just wait for my new score to come out and then possibly contact some of the low tier programs to let them know I am interested. I just need a chance to explain myself in person! Thanks for the words of encouragement :)