Benefit of MS in Clinical Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RequiredName

Reaction score
Hi!

I'm wondering what specific benefits there are for a physician to obtain a masters in clinical research. I see a few schools offering the dual degree, but am not sure if this option is has advantages for any/all specialties?

I'm not looking for recommendations on whether or not to do the programs; I'm just wondering if anyone knows or has insights as to how the life of a physician differs when they also have the masters in clinical research?

I'm not sure where I want to specialize, which is one of the main reasons I'm curious about the benefits in any specialty.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

In general, this type of thing would be helpful for those who wish to get a better (legitimate) understanding of how clinical research works. This might include things like clinical trials, proper clinical study design, basic epidemiology and statistics. It could be broadly applicable to most specialties depending on your career goals.

The question is how does this differ from someone with just an MD, or someone with an MD/PhD. Compared to an MD, one of these masters programs would ensure a basic level of comfort in proper clinical research design and analysis rather than going rogue with just an MD. If you are aiming for your first research grant, this kind of thing could be helpful to support that you have been trained properly to conduct the proposed clinical research. Compared to an MD/PhD, I think the biggest difference is that the MD/PhD will likely have a focused research program related to their area of expertise whereas the masters would be more broadly trained specifically in a clinical setting. For example, the MD/PhD might be the go-to for studying some protein in a certain disease, but may not be as comfortable in all the considerations for a clinical trial (some might, depending on their experience). So the masters would give you a unique skill set that could be used in a supportive role to other scientists/physicians. MD/PhD in epidemiology or something would be the only people who would be better equipped for focused clinical research.

Reactions: 1 user
Get the dual degree in clinical research if you need training in clinical research.

If you are an MD, you can already do clinical research - yet you may not have the tools necessary yet. This MS would bridge that gap if you want clinical research in your career yet have no experience or are looking to fine tune your skills under supervision.

Never waste time on a masters degree unless it is something you want to learn and hope to incorporate in your career.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In general... masters would give you a unique skill set that could be used in a supportive role to other scientists/physicians. MD/PhD in biostatistics would be the only people who would be better equipped for focused clinical research.
Fixed it for you. Hands down, unbeatable.

Fixed it for you. Hands down, unbeatable.

I think "in addition to" rather than replacing is more appropriate, but yes biostats would be there too. At many institutions, the coursework training for PhDs in epidemiology and PhDs in biostats overlaps quite a bit with the major difference usually being their thesis topic.

I think "in addition to" rather than replacing is more appropriate, but yes biostats would be there too. At many institutions, the coursework training for PhDs in epidemiology and PhDs in biostats overlaps quite a bit with the major difference usually being their thesis topic.
At least from what I have seen, overlap is more commonly in the applied courses, and the epi program doesn’t require crucial courses like mathematical statistics and probability theory. This leaves a larger gap in knowledge and understanding when the coursework overlaps. Superficially, knowledge of application may appear similar, but the divergence becomes apparent when you dig deeper. At top schools for biostats this is usually less of an issue (because stats people teach the stats regardless of the student cohort) but as a general idea, a random program for epi won’t outpace a random biostats program.

“Clinical research” is a BS field generated by pharma and biomedical companies. These degrees are a dime a dozen and readily available at multiple online schools. They teach very little about good statistics and proper research design. If you want a solid research/stats/design background do grad work in biostats, stats, research design, or epidemiology. Don’t drink the “clinical research” Kool-Aid. Source: I worked on clinical trials for 2 years prior to med school, and still keep in touch with one of the statisticians I worked with.

Reactions: 1 user