Benefits of a minor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slimfast

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is a minor or two to the eyes of a dental school's admissions team? I'm pretty close to obtaining a minor in chemistry but I'm not sure if it's worth it taking the extra classes to get there.

So basically, how much value does a minor carry on an application?

Members don't see this ad.

it does nothing for you

i was doin a psych minor and was contemplating finishing it but my pre-dent advisor said its not gonna make much difference at all. If you know u can ace those chem classes it might be worth it if u wanna boost up ur science and bcp gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a minor in another science won't help, but a minor in spanish or business.

I think a minor in another science won't help, but a minor in spanish or business.

BAH! I'm 4 classes short of minoring in Spanish, and I was thinking about dropping it. I enjoy it, but reading novels in Spanish and writing papers in Spanish takes wayyy too much time, and it takes a lot of effort to get a good grade in upper-level Spanish courses. I'd rather spend that time on science classes.

I suppose it's good to know in case you have to deal with Hispanic patients (and I probably will be since I want to stay in Georgia), but from what I've heard and from what I can judge of my own ability, my speaking ability won't really improve unless I go live in a Spanish-speaking country for a while, and I don't have time for that, that's for sure.

But I guess if it's good, I should stick with it, eh?

BAH! I'm 4 classes short of minoring in Spanish, and I was thinking about dropping it. I enjoy it, but reading novels in Spanish and writing papers in Spanish takes wayyy too much time, and it takes a lot of effort to get a good grade in upper-level Spanish courses. I'd rather spend that time on science classes.

I suppose it's good to know in case you have to deal with Hispanic patients (and I probably will be since I want to stay in Georgia), but from what I've heard and from what I can judge of my own ability, my speaking ability won't really improve unless I go live in a Spanish-speaking country for a while, and I don't have time for that, that's for sure.

But I guess if it's good, I should stick with it, eh?

Indeed, I did it and I think it's worth it and I think it does look good for adcoms worried about a lack of dentists ABLE to serve the Spanish community at large. Once you get the grammar classes out of the way, the history and literature classes are way fun and they're a lot easier to get an "A" in then the science classes (at least for me they were). Good luck

Indeed, I did it and I think it's worth it and I think it does look good for adcoms worried about a lack of dentists ABLE to serve the Spanish community at large. Once you get the grammar classes out of the way, the history and literature classes are way fun and they're a lot easier to get an "A" in then the science classes (at least for me they were). Good luck

Yeah, I exempted all the grammar classes due to AP and placement test scores. I've been taking literature classes, but reading Spanish takes a lot of time for me, and writing papers just in general takes me a while. But I'll keep at it since I'm almost there. Thanks for the input.