Benefits of Applying early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentgrl2984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone benefited from applying early June, that has lower than average stats? For example, GPA is below 3.5 and DAT scores are around 19. I know most schools accept on a rolling admissions basis, but is there anyone who has been accepted this cycle who didn't do so well last cycle and the only thing they changed was applying early?

Members don't see this ad.

Would you accept an applicant whose only claim to fame is applying early?

Why is applying in early June stressed so much as a huge positive compared to someone who applies in late August. The interviews do not even get scheduled until August and since it is not a rolling admissions and they must wait til Dec 1 then why does it matter as long as you have a pre-Dec interview? Don't get me wrong my app will be filled out to the full extent on June 4 this year, but still wondering why it is stressed so much as an advantage. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am wondering about the same thing actually because I will be taking the DAT late July, so my application won't be ready before early August, I know that is not considered early but is it considerd too late though or is it good enough

Has anyone benefited from applying early June, that has lower than average stats? For example, GPA is below 3.5 and DAT scores are around 19. I know most schools accept on a rolling admissions basis, but is there anyone who has been accepted this cycle who didn't do so well last cycle and the only thing they changed was applying early?

Just imagine you are an adcom.

In june: there are about ~100 apps to review for an interview. This is an easy task for you right? You can go over all the application, choose the ones you like. As an applicant, the competition isnt big either.

In Aug: there are about ~1000 apps to review. How can you choose which one to interview because there are so many. All of them are great applications with ton of volunteering + shadowing hours. You have to be picky.

In Step-so on: there are about ~2000 app to review. Phew you have to be VERY picky.

You see the trend? Hope this helps.

Good question.

It just seems to work out that applying early is inherently good. Why? Well, that's up for debates and it depends on the adcom. There was a thread here with incredible stats who didn't get in because he applied so late. Apply as early as you can. Be on the safe side. Besides, it's best to get it over with so you don't have to be stressed out.

Just apply early! I think they should make this a golden rule!! You can't go wrong with applying early.

What's considered early? 1st, 2nd and 3rd batch? or just first batch?

Why is applying in early June stressed so much as a huge positive compared to someone who applies in late August. The interviews do not even get scheduled until August and since it is not a rolling admissions and they must wait til Dec 1 then why does it matter as long as you have a pre-Dec interview? Don't get me wrong my app will be filled out to the full extent on June 4 this year, but still wondering why it is stressed so much as an advantage. Thank you.

A lot start reviewing applications and picking interviewees in June/July...Doesn't mean they have to tell them they have an interview the second after they look at their application (or tell you about acceptance the second they decide to accept you after your interview). Do you really think they could get a ton of applications in late August and still have time to look at all of them for that August interview schedule?

I posted this somewhere else, but the school I talked to, they wait until 1st week of July and go through all the apps that have piled up since it opened. At another school I talked to, they said they start looking at them day 1.

Last edited:
What's considered early? 1st, 2nd and 3rd batch? or just first batch?

There isn't a fixed number for "early" applications. If you submit your app in June, you are considered early. July: ok, august: you are not considered early anymore.

The point is to apply as early as you can. That's all. Don't look into this too much.

There isn't a fixed number for "early" applications. If you submit your app in June, you are considered early. July: ok, august: you are not considered early anymore.

The point is to apply as early as you can. That's all. Don't look into this too much.

so if I am planning to retake The DAT around July 2oth, my application would be considered late

so if I am planning to retake The DAT around July 2oth, my application would be considered late

You are not considered early but you are not late. Thats all I can tell you.

Anyone who applies to dental school for the first time needs to know that you are competing with other applications. The more applications, the bigger the competition.

Will applying early guarantee you an interview spot? Of course NOT. Will it increase your chance to get an interview spot? YES.

Do your best :thumbup:

You are not considered early but you are not late. Thats all I can tell you.

Anyone who applies to dental school for the first time needs to know that you are competing with other applications. The more applications, the bigger the competition.

Will applying early guarantee you an interview spot? Of course NOT. Will it increase your chance to get an interview spot? YES.

Do your best :thumbup:

Thanks for reply

Members don't see this ad :)
TMDSAS opens first week of May and I take my DAT May 13th, does that mean i'll be late-ish? It might be until like May 20th or so until my application gets in.

Last edited:
TMDSAS opens first week of May and I take my DAT May 13th, does that mean i'll be late-ish? It might be until like May 20th or so until my application gets in.

You'll be fine. May and June is generally considered early.

Do not rush to take the DAT so that you can apply "early".

If you submit an app in August with a 22 AA DAT and a 3.5, you are going to get in somewhere.

If you take the DAT before you are ready for it and submit a 3.5 and an 18 on June 1st, you'll be much less likely to get in.

You want your application to stand out with a high DAT or GPA and being early isn't enough.

I do agree that there is a point where applying late is a bad idea, but despite what predents here will tell you August is not late. I don't know where the late cut off is, maybe sometime early September when they've booked interviews into October.

So far I am sure that my application won't be ready before the first week of August which I know is not early but I am wondering when the dental schools generally start the interviews with the applicants, and when the first patch ends

Do not rush to take the DAT so that you can apply "early".

If you submit an app in August with a 22 AA DAT and a 3.5, you are going to get in somewhere.

If you take the DAT before you are ready for it and submit a 3.5 and an 18 on June 1st, you'll be much less likely to get in.

You want your application to stand out with a high DAT or GPA and being early isn't enough.

I do agree that there is a point where applying late is a bad idea, but despite what predents here will tell you August is not late. I don't know where the late cut off is, maybe sometime early September when they've booked interviews into October.

so if I have a 3.1 GPA I'll need like a 24 or 25 on the DAT? :(

There's only a select schools that will actually look at applications as they first come in (i.e. first week of July), while others don't look until August or even September. It really depends on what kind of school you are applying to. There are some who apply in September/October and a day or two after submitting their supp they get an interview.

I personally think that the whole "applying early" phenomenon on SDN is overrated. It will probably only help you if you have below-average stats.

I do not think everyone will agree with me, though this is how i rank early and late applications.

Early = Application arrives at the school 2 weeks prior to all the pre-December interviews being given away.

Late = Application arrives only 1-2 weeks prior to all the pre-January interviews being given away

Real Late = Your application will only be considered for a post January interview

It should be noted, these dates are unique for every school. You would have to compare the acceptance forum to predents and hope the posted dates are accurate.

Since no one has made a definitive list of when schools review applications, why take the risk of applying late?

Apply as early as you can. It can only help you. No one has ever gotten rejected for applying too early.

I do not think everyone will agree with me, though this is how i rank early and late applications.

Early = Application arrives at the school 2 weeks prior to all the pre-December interviews being given away.

Late = Application arrives only 1-2 weeks prior to all the pre-January interviews being given away

Real Late = Your application will only be considered for a post January interview

It should be noted, these dates are unique for every school. You would have to compare the acceptance forum to predents and hope the posted dates are accurate.

But I still wonder if anyone has ever received an interview as early as August or September anyways

But I still wonder if anyone has ever received an interview as early as August or September anyways

Yes. For some schools, they do the majority of their interviews in august-october.

Wow, I thought they start by October or even late September. I won't have my application ready before mid-August so hopefully i won't be too late for an interview