Benefits of Principles of Biochem vs Biochem 1 and 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malikhind

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, my school offers either Principles of Biochemistry (I believe it lightly covers biochem 1/2 topics) vs taking biochemistry 1 and biochemistry 2 (Intermediary Metabolism) over a year. My major only requires principles of biochemistry, however some people were saying taking biochem 1 and 2 will benefit me more if I am accepted to dental school.

So my question would be whether or not taking biochemistry 1 and 2 will be that much more helpful than just taking the principles course.

Here are the course descriptions for each:

Principles of Biochemistry: The structures and functions of carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, and nucleic acids and their reactions in metabolic pathways

vs.

Biochemistry: The structure and function of the major chemical components of biological systems are described. The major topics include water, buffers and pH; proteins; enzymes; carbohydrates; lipids; and vitamins.
and
Intermediary Metabolism:The major metabolic pathways and cellular bioenergetics are discussed. An emphasis is placed upon the chemistry of these processes.

Members don't see this ad.

Biochemistry is all about memorization. If you are good with that. Do the 2 course plan, you will get As in both, GPA goes up ;). If you don't like memorizing, just do the principles of biochemistry. I believe this course will prepare you enough for DS. You just might learn new few thing in DS. Anyways, biochemistry is a fun class, no matter which plan you pick, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, both courses will help you in dental school, as you will be learning most of it again (faster speed) + new stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's nothing fun about memorizing trivial information.

I'd take principles as it seems to cover everything and with less trivia.

Biochemistry is all about memorization. If you are good with that. Do the 2 course plan, you will get As in both, GPA goes up ;). If you don't like memorizing, just do the principles of biochemistry. I believe this course will prepare you enough for DS. You just might learn new few thing in DS. Anyways, biochemistry is a fun class, no matter which plan you pick, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
I am sensing sarcasm....

Most people don't enjoy studying for biochem...
It depends on the person, if you study biochemistry everyday, then it would suck. I'm the type of person who crams. Studed it for about 4 days all semester lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Go with Principles of Biochemistry. Everything you'll need to know about biochem in dental school will be taught to you.

But would taking the higher level ones now help me since I would be relearning it in dental school? Since biochem is on the boards exam