Benefits or opportunities of having and MD and an MBA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

capone2975

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently pursuing my MBA and am considering med school (starting the research now) I am just curious to what benefits a doctor will have with an MBA

Members don't see this ad.

Probablity more dates!!!

Doc: I have a bachelor's.

Lady: Yeah, who cares, I do too!

Doc: I also got an MD.

Lady: Yeah, who cares, my husband has one too!

Doc: I have a mansion and drive fast cars!

Lady: Yeah, who care, we do too!

Doc: I have an MBA!

Lady: You have an MBA, OMG!!! YOU'RE SO HOT!!!

hahaha....

medicine is becoming increasingly commercialized: right from physician recruitment, managing healthcare systems, developing new pharm and biotech products, physician reimbursements, financing of new healthcare investments.....etc

In the coming years, there will be a vital need for physician-managers who understand both the medical and business dynamics of medicine. armed with the mba, MD/MBAs can help to provide affordable and quality healthcare. furthermore, medicine is becoming increasingly consolidated: solo practioners are merging into group practices, group practices are being contracted by hospitals and hospitals are merging to form healthcare networks. As a result, the need for effective management arises at every step.

traditional physicians are bad businessmen/women and lack the proper managing skills. and traditional managers do not have the technical knowhow of medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
ASDIC said:
traditional physicians are bad businessmen/women and lack the proper managing skills. and traditional managers do not have the technical knowhow of medicine.
:thumbup: thats a nice, concise summary, ill have to remember it