Benign Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmattwilson

Slacker Unlimited
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any input on which schools in the southeast are regarded s benign ( from top names to those a little more obscure). I am at UVa and we have an excellent program that is very user friendly but I would like to know what else is around.

Members don't see this ad.

Although not in the Southeast, UTMB-Galveston is a very benign program. One of our chiefs last year was from UVa. Crypt

Members don't see this ad :)
Vandy -- it has a good reputation as a friendly program.

Scott & White - A hidden gem in Temple, TX, that is worth investigating. They had, by far, the happiest group of residents I saw during my interviews.

UVa - I'll second the nomination

And if you can, I would look outside of the Southeast. My impression is that the SE has an overrepresentation of programs that, even if not toxically malignant, take a tough-love approach to training variously described as "traditional," "rigorous," etc.

I'll second the Vandy and UNC nominations, and add my vote for UVa. Pilot Doc has pretty accurately described the general state of SE programs, though. Unless you are absolutely locked into staying there, I'd try to look at other areas.

Hola Cirujana!

How is the program in the great western state of Utah. I will be visiting there soon and actually did undergrad south of the U. Any deficiencies or weak spots. Benign or malignant?

As for places I thought have been benign through the process:
Dartmouth
UNC
Baylor University in Dallas

Go Patriots!

I heard Vanderbilt was pretty malignant. I've had medical students tell me this was the case.

Benign programs in the SE? Hmmmm...

UNC
Florida
May Clinic (Jacksonville)
MUSC
Wake Forest ??

I think that is important to remeber that reputations live on long after the situation has changed. As a current resident at a program with a long standing repuation for being hard and "malignant" I can state that things have changed. The attendings are approachable and there is a distinct emphasis placed on resident eduaction and operative experience. In the current era of the 80 hour work week it is important to find a program that is committed to education and has a large patient volume. The important part of residency is not how easy a program is but rather how well a program trains its residents. The goal is to find a place that offers execellent training and operative volume, excellent education and faculty who care about teaching residents.

I agree that UAB does not have a malignant program... Unless your definition of malignant is working hard.