benzene reactivity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bajoneswadup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A question from EK orgo asks about which substituent to add in order to reduce the reactivity of methyl benzoate on pg. 68.

A: NO2
B: H
C: Br
D: CH3

Answer: A

I remember in orgo that different substituents withdraw at different spots, but i didnt study this b/c benzene wont be on the mcat... Is NO2 electron withdrawing at every spot?

Members don't see this ad.

For benzene, the functional group does not change its EW/ED properties based on positions - it's always the same. What changes where other groups are being added if that group is already attached to the benzene. If I remember correctly, if there is an EW group, additions are para, if there is an ED, they are ortho/meta. ED also stimulate additions while EW will slow them down or completely prohibit them.

For benzene, the functional group does not change its EW/ED properties based on positions - it's always the same. What changes where other groups are being added if that group is already attached to the benzene. If I remember correctly, if there is an EW group, additions are para, if there is an ED, they are ortho/meta. ED also stimulate additions while EW will slow them down or completely prohibit them.

Ohh right on. NO2 is EW because of resonance with the ring in the ortho position right?

Ohh right on. NO2 is EW because of resonance with the ring in the ortho position right?

It is electron withdrawal because the two O withdraw electron density from the N atom making the N electron positive and thus it withdraw electron density from the benzene ring. It is meta because of resonance structure. These two are different things.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is electron withdrawal because the two O withdraw electron density from the N atom making the N electron positive and thus it withdraw electron density from the benzene ring. It is meta because of resonance structure. These two are different things.

Ohh yeah thanks.

Electron donating groups are ortho/para directors, electron withdrawing are meta, and yes, it's due to favorable resonance contributors in electrophilic aromatic substitution.

Electron donating groups are ortho/para directors, electron withdrawing are meta, and yes, it's due to favorable resonance contributors in electrophilic aromatic substitution.

Argh, I did not expect I'd screw that part. I can imagine the positions in my mind but messed up the names. :rolleyes::thumbdown:

why cant Br be the answer since it is also electron withdrawing and would make it less reactive by deactivating the ring?