Berk Review: Chapter-End Passages Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sexycani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of percentage should we be aiming for in the passages at the end of the chapters for the BR books?

I know there are suggested scaled scores, but I was wondering how representative these actually are?

can someone who has gotten their score comment on this?

so far i seem to be at 80% for physics I, II and orgo I
i want to get >=13 on the sciences.....

Members don't see this ad.

If you are getting 80%, you are probably in good shape. My real score was about 1 pt higher.

What kind of percentage should we be aiming for in the passages at the end of the chapters for the BR books?

I know there are suggested scaled scores, but I was wondering how representative these actually are?

can someone who has gotten their score comment on this?

so far i seem to be at 80% for physics I, II and orgo I
i want to get >=13 on the sciences.....

You should read through the Berkeley Review scores thread. It has the numbers for several people.

bump...
can someone who used the BR stuff and took those chapter tests comment? im looking to get 13+ on the sciences.

Members don't see this ad :)
bump...
can someone who used the BR stuff and took those chapter tests comment? im looking to get 13+ on the sciences.

i had some older BR books that only had practice passages at the end of each chapter--i don't believe there were actual chapter tests, per se.

From what I can remember:

i was consistently 90% on organic passages--equated to always being 13-15 score prediction

i was always in the highest range on physics which was 12+ in my BR books (they didn't have a 13-15 range)...~85%

Gchem was my weakest subject and i was thus rarely in the 13-15 range--usually around 12ish. don't remember my exact percentages since i ended up doing all the Gchem passages twice

i tried BR bio for a couple weeks but it completely killed my confidence....i was rarely 12+ and found i was normally 75-80% on passages. i remember being much better on physiology than the hard sciences which was a result of the much denser hard science passages.

i didn't use BR verbal.

On the real deal: 14PS, 15BS

If you're getting 80% on BR physics, i say you're excellent shapes. I thought the passages in their physics book thrashed my confidence. I would get on the threadmill after doing the physics passages because i always felt bad. (maybe i should start doing them, haven't been to the gym in months).

Nevertheless, i felt they were similar in style to what i saw on the MCAT. I was getting anywhere from 77% or higher on their gen chem and ochem passages. The physics was so bad i refused to calculate percentages.

These were your scores first time doing the end of chapter problems? Or the best scores, I.e second or third time around?

These were your scores first time doing the end of chapter problems? Or the best scores, I.e second or third time around?
Hey guys i am having a similar issue,

This is my first 1/3s for the BR first chapter, and i find my self spending 10+ mins on the passages and getting low scores ( getting like 2/7ish)
I know SN2ed suggested working towards 6-7mns

Should i not worry about time since this is my first round of questions?
Or am i just stupid and need to be faster..because i think i can get them right if i just give my self more time and read carefully.

Also- Is there a set day for reviewing the answers from the passages or is that done on the same day?
because i am having trouble with running out of time i spend 2hrs reading the chapter 1hr answering passages and 1hr going thru my answers and feedback thanks.

I got ~80% on BR organic and chem passages and ~70% on BR physics and bio passages (my physics scores improved dramatically by Phase III though). Ended up with a 12 PS and 13 BS.

is that the % for first time, overall all the passages, or just the phase iii passages?

Yeah I am looking at like 65% overall, but 85% for the last phase also. I think the last phase is probably just easier.

What kind of percentage should we be aiming for in the passages at the end of the chapters for the BR books? I know there are suggested scaled scores, but I was wondering how representative these actually are? can someone who has gotten their score comment on this?

Try looking through this thread. It has data for about thirty people. For the scores you're looking for, the two replies here are good indicators.

i was consistently 90% on organic passages--equated to always being 13-15 score prediction. i tried BR bio for a couple weeks but it completely killed my confidence....i was rarely 12+ and found i was normally 75-80% on passages.

i was always in the highest range on physics which was 12+ in my BR books (they didn't have a 13-15 range)...~85%. Gchem was my weakest subject and i was thus rarely in the 13-15 range--usually around 12ish.

On the real deal: 14PS, 15BS

I got ~80% on BR organic and chem passages and ~70% on BR physics and bio passages (my physics scores improved dramatically by Phase III though). For physics though, I went from 50-60% for Phase I to ~85% for Phase III. Ended up with a 12 PS and 13 BS.

Great job you two.

Sorry but what is this Phases you guys keep refering to...i just started the SN2ed strategy.

If you click on the 12-week schedule in my signature, you'll go to a thread where you can download the schedule and phases.

The phases are designed in three parts, where your goals vary with each phase:

1. Basic review without many trick questions. These emphasize the equations, topics, definitions, etc.. for the sake of exposure and development. Don't time yourself on these and realize that most people get pummeled at first

2. Practice exam with a realistic range of difficulty. On this segment you are looking to finish within the time limits, to evaluate how well you really know it and how you deal with stress. Even if you can get 90% correct with unlimited time, you need to know how you'll do with time restrictions and the anxiety of thinking under time pressure.

3. Weird passages that incorporate material from other chapters and other subjects. These passages are designed to screw with your head but in the end show you that if you stay focused, the questions are simple.

People who show the growth described by Phonyreal98 are the ones who rock the MCAT, because they grow into being a great test taker who happens to know the material, rather than someone who knows the material really well but doesn't test well. The phases help you develop as a test taker as much as they review and test the material.

Sorry but what is this Phases you guys keep refering to...i just started the SN2ed strategy.

Fatsum, I'm in your situation too sorta. Working through the first 1/3 of the passages now. I am good for time, usually getting around 5-6 min per passage, but doing really awful for scores at 2-4/7 (for the sciences subjects). Anyone else do poorly on the BR passages, and if so how did you improve? Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi you all, new to this group although been visiting for a long time now. I just ordered by BR (gen chem and bio) books yesterday, hoping to have soon. I am a little uneasy because i have been studying physics with a TPRH book which i think is useful but i feel weak in some areas (fluids,EM,circuits) even though i have worked some of their HW passages. So I am thinking of ordering BR phy as well i mean is that a double kill? what do you guys think, maybe some of you have experience with more than one review company. I have been thinking of just combining both BR and PR, that will add lots of time to my studying and I'm under a little time pressure already...anyway...some thoughts?