Berkeley JMP--ACCEPTED and (Pretty much) COMMITTED

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Outsidein333333

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Berkeley
JMP

Hey everybody, I'm 99.9% committed to this JMP thing. I just wanted to electronically say hi to all of those (all 20?) who are down with SDN and JMP. I'm 24, Minneso-tan, and really psyched to go. And--if anyone has housing suggestions, Please let me know.

MB

Members don't see this ad.

Just out of curiosity, what's JMP? :confused:

Got a link?

I absolutely in love with this program.

Couple of questions-

What led you to apply to this program?

How competitive is the program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, what's JMP? :confused:

Got a link?

It's a 5-year Joint Masters Program; where you do the first 3 years at berkeley campus, and the last two (clinical) at UCSF. Only about 20 kids get in every year.

Craiglist is always good for housing in Berkeley - its where I've always found my housing. Its pricey though, if you want to be close to campus and where your classes are (University Hall) you're going to be looking right in downtown Berkeley, which gets pricey.

Check out panoramic properties in the area ( http://www.panoramicmanagement.com/ )- several are right in downtown. Beautiful but expensive. To get parking at your apartment is going to cost you a pretty penny too, but its doable. But yeah just check out craigslist and google where every apartment is and figure out how close you want to be. Your classes will be at 2199 Addison Street, Berkeley, CA if you want to google distances for walking.

I've lived in Berkeley for 5 years and currently live 2 blocks from my job (which is in University Hall). I pay $125/month to park my car in an outside lot, and share an apartment with two other girls - its a 2 bedroom apartment that costs $1950/month. Just to give you an idea of the prices in the area. (and we're moving out in June so if anyone is interested I can give you my landlords contact info). The place is convenient and newly remodeled - really nice, just expensive.

i'd second that craigslist is your best bet. dont be afraid to check room shares.

i would suggest looking at the berkeley flats, west berkeley, or south berkeley / north oakland. cool neighborhoods with awesome old houses. i stayed in a nice 5 br house in south berkeley that was 2400 a month as an undergrad. street parking for a car was free and plentiful, though you can forget driving to campus, parking is nonexistent there. the city of berkeley is actually quite small geographically, so it was a short bike/bus ride to campus from the oakland border.

speaking of which, bring a bike. berkeley is one of the most bike friendly cities in america with the vast majority of roads containing road blocks that funnel car traffic to just a few major thoroughfares. ive heard these referred to as "loni hancock rollercoasters" for a former mayor. it'll make sense when you see them. they're incredibly annoying in a car but great on a bike, since you zip right through them.

congrats on getting in and getting to live in a great place for the next five years. the jmp students i met were a cool bunch

Hi,

I'm graduating with my MPH from UC Berkeley's School of Public Health this May (off to UTSW med school for the fall). I've lived in the co-ops for the past two years. (http://www.usca.org/) They aren't for everyone, but it is very affordable student housing and they do have two houses for grad students only, if you don't want to be surrounded by undergrads. Good luck and congrats on the JMP acceptance!

i'd second that craigslist is your best bet. dont be afraid to check room shares.

i would suggest looking at the berkeley flats, west berkeley, or south berkeley / north oakland. cool neighborhoods with awesome old houses. i stayed in a nice 5 br house in south berkeley that was 2400 a month as an undergrad. street parking for a car was free and plentiful, though you can forget driving to campus, parking is nonexistent there. the city of berkeley is actually quite small geographically, so it was a short bike/bus ride to campus from the oakland border.

speaking of which, bring a bike. berkeley is one of the most bike friendly cities in america with the vast majority of roads containing road blocks that funnel car traffic to just a few major thoroughfares. ive heard these referred to as "loni hancock rollercoasters" for a former mayor. it'll make sense when you see them. they're incredibly annoying in a car but great on a bike, since you zip right through them.

congrats on getting in and getting to live in a great place for the next five years. the jmp students i met were a cool bunch

*sigh*, darnit, time to learn to ride a bike.
****, i just blew my cover.