Berkeley Review Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fishsticks2629

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question has come up quite often without any real answers.. What edition is the newest for Berkeley review? Also if there is a latest edition, is there any significant difference between old and new versions (e.g. the style of the passages are formated for the older test). If anyone can answer this question it would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!:):)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't, I asked in another thread and never received an answer... I'm curious about this as well. It seems that physics will have a newer edition coming out soon, as in a physics book without the black tape binding. the TBR guy said it will have more passages and strategies. Wish I would've waited! Oh well..

I spoke with him the other night. It was supposed to be out already but they're still editing it, and it might not be out until summer.. so I'm ordering it now, since it takes at least a week to arrive, its not worth waiting for if you're taking the mcat this summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
TBR has absolutely some of the best content in existence with regard to MCAT prep. I wish that they would print in color even if it meant spending more money. Still, they are the tops when it comes to content.

That being said, they don't seem to know much about running a business. As many have capably pointed out, the Web site/ordering system is ten years outdated.

TBR has absolutely some of the best content in existence with regard to MCAT prep. I wish that they would print in color even if it meant spending more money. Still, they are the tops when it comes to content.

That being said, they don't seem to know much about running a business. As many have capably pointed out, the Web site/ordering system is ten years outdated.

I'm excited to get the books, but yes that part seemed very weird. Reminded me of 1997 or something :laugh:

If their material is what its hyped to be, I can't believe how much more profit they could pull in by updating the website/ordering system. I'm sure some people get turned off by the whole check/money order in the mail deal. Doesn't seem that it would be too hard to implement a more contemporary system.

I just purchased their chem & phys books, what do you think about their bio material (I've heard mixed things so I didn't dive in)?

hey guys I am getting the phys and chem BR books, but I was wondering if I should get the BR orgo. I have the EK orgo and some say the BR is ust overkill. Any suggestions?

...some say the BR is just overkill. Any suggestions?

It's such a hard call to make, because the MCAT tests so little organic chemistry nowadays. For most MCATs, it's overkill. But for about five MCATs per year, where they have more organic passages than normal and/or a killer organic passage, then it's worth it.

No matter what you use for organic chemistry, over 90% of what you do won't be on your test. I just don't think this question can be answered.

This question has come up quite often without any real answers.. What edition is the newest for Berkeley review?

In terms of the editions for the books, here is a mix of the reply I got from the office along with my input based on feedback from students I tutored last summer:

Biology: There is a 2008 version, but the book is pretty much the same as it was in 2004 with minor editting and upgrading of drawings since that time. Avoid books from before 2004.

Verbal Reasoning: There are a 2008 and 2009 version that look the same to me. It underwent a major overhaul in 2007, where more technqiues were incorporated into the answer explanations. After running it by students for a year, it went to print as it is now. It also took into account the CBT and issues associated with a computer screen. Avoid books from before 2008.

General Chemistry: There is a 2009 version. It underwent an overhaul in 2004 (in terms of passages and sequence of topics). Apparently it's being revised and editted at this time to match the physics book that was supposed to be out this past spring. But once the new edition comes out (probably late Fall 2009), it will be the version of choice. For now, avoid books from before 2004.

Physics: There is a 2009 version. It has had changes to some of the answer explanations with every new session of the class, but the text has been constant since 2002. There were new passages introduced and changes to existing passages in 2004 and 2007. Selected chapters from the upsoming version of the physics books are supposedly going to be used in the classroom this summer. The new book apparently should be out in the Fall. Avoid books from before 2007.

Organic Chemistry: There is a 2009 version. It underwent a major overhaul in 2004 (when the AAMC people decided to change the content on the MCAT--no more benzene and alkene chemistry, amongst other changes). It also incorporated some biology subjects (mostly biochemistry, in an effort to serve as a sort of Cliff Notes for those topics). Avoid books from before 2004.

My personal opinion is that the year is not as important as the condition. If it's marked in, then it's natural to overemphaisze what has been written in the book. Worry first that the copy is clean (even if it's been erased, indentations from circled letters give you a bias when you attempt a question). If the books are clean, then used books seem fine for most subjects. I'd probably get the physics and general chemistry brand new if it were me, but those are the subjects I most would not want a previous user's influence.

Just to see what's out there, I looked at Amazon and have to laugh at the following offer: $72.49 for a used Physics Part I

Based on the Amazon prices, I would definitely not buy from them. If they come up on eBay, that would probably be the better way to go.

I'm sure some people get turned off by the whole check/money order in the mail deal.

I'm sure people get turned off by a lot more than that. The website is really a thing to be ashamed of. If you click on the descriptions for each book you may get the impression that there's very little content in each book. The spelling and lack of attention to detail on the website would make me think the books would be full of the same kind of mistakes and much worse. Fortunately the high praises for TBR books on this website tell me otherwise, but unfortunately the 1997 style on the website seems to match a 1997 style used in the books. All in all I still want to get my hands on a newish clean set of TBR books more than any other set of books.

BerkReviewTeach, thank you for the information you've provided.

hey guys I am getting the phys and chem BR books, but I was wondering if I should get the BR orgo. I have the EK orgo and some say the BR is ust overkill. Any suggestions?

I was initially planning on staying away from their orgo, because I feel that my orgo is pretty good, but I just don't like much that EK puts out except their Bio and verbal, so I caved. I haven't gone though the whole set yet, but what I have gone through is good. It is dense, meaning a lot of text and explanaitions compared to the other BR/EK books I've read. It's very informative though and I think it will certainly prepare you for the MCAT Ochem.

The passages are the main reason I picked up the set, and I'm still really glad that I did. Even though there isn't much orgo on the mcat anymore there is enough to drop your score from a 15 to an 11 or 12 assuming you get all of the bio right. It's enough of an incentive for me to cover all my bases, and BR definitley seems like the way to go to do that.

do u think they are much better than EK o.chem, and at the same level of BR physics and chem?

Yes, their O-chem and Gen Chem are untouchable. Their Physics content is solid, I prefer TPR. HOWEVER, their passages are UNTOUCHABLE. Hell, you could just learn it from the passages alone. If you all have the cash, definitely get their O-chem books. The MCAt may not emphasize O-chem but when they do it's difficult and for the high strivers, O-chem is generally what drops your score.

Yes, their O-chem and Gen Chem are untouchable. Their Physics content is solid, I prefer TPR. HOWEVER, their passages are UNTOUCHABLE. Hell, you could just learn it from the passages alone. If you all have the cash, definitely get their O-chem books. The MCAt may not emphasize O-chem but when they do it's difficult and for the high strivers, O-chem is generally what drops your score.

Woah!!! No "In closing" remarks... Slippin', man...

As far as ochem, I think it really depends on if you had learned it previously, if at all. If you haven't had it before you might want to get the Berkeley books for the indepth lessons and EK for the graphics. If you learned it pretty well before, then the EK books might be all you need to get a refresher on old material. The EK ochem book is pretty thin, but it seems okay when used to quickly review a bunch of material.