Berkeley Review - Passages or Content?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor10

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do people recommend TBR for their content review, passages, or both?
I have studied/taken the MCAT once so I know a good background base knowledge of Gen Chem and Physics.

I am planning to just use TBR for Gen Chem and Physics passages, and look up content in the books for the concepts I have trouble with in the passages.
Is this a good strategy?
Are TBR recommended for their passages or the content review primarily?

Members don't see this ad.

What sets TBR apart from the rest is the 13 or so passages PER section (10 sections per science: about 130 passages totaling 1000 questions). It's all MCAT style testing, at a fairly cheap price! But the content is in no way bad. TBR doesn't "make up" for content with passages. They both rock. I'm using TBR right now for Gen. Chem. and Physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a time crunch so I wasn't sure if I could read all the content. I have studied content from Kaplan (and a little in EK too) this summer.

I will try to though! Seems to be highly recommended in addition to passages.

ok awesome thanks! I will read GC content review in TBR.

for Physics what is the best content review (to supplement TBR passages)?

ok awesome thanks! I will read GC content review in TBR.

for Physics what is the best content review (to supplement TBR passages)?

Actually, out of what you have listed BR would be your best source.

I liked PR as well. I would read over the Physics too.

BR is great for PS. The Physics part is not that much.

OK cool. How long ~ (I know it will vary person to person) will reading Gen Chem content review and Physics content review take?

[I know there are problems within the content review, so including those]

Content can be done in days (week).

They are short and pretty good.

BR passages is what takes so much time.

I would suggest doing half of the passages as long as you are doing well in that section. If bad, then do more...

I would also caution that it can burn you out. I really think I got burned out and that's why my real score was much lower than my practice.

Stay fresh!

I would suggest doing half of the passages as long as you are doing well in that section. If bad, then do more...

I would also caution that it can burn you out. I really think I got burned out and that's why my real score was much lower than my practice.
Yeah this is what I plan to do - half the passages in each section, doing passages in sections I am weak on first.

Thanks for your help answering my many questions today!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are all of TBR's passages and questions included in their home-study books? Or do they offer extra passages in class to their students (i.e. in their handouts)?

Are all of TBR's passages and questions included in their home-study books? Or do they offer extra passages in class to their students (i.e. in their handouts)?

Passages and questions are included in their home-study books. I am not sure if all of their passages are though. I also do not know if they offer extra passages in class to their students in the handouts (given to only ppl in the course), but The Berkeley Review rep on SDN can probably answer that.

The students in the classroom get extra passages and handouts.

I wish I had a class near me.

Last edited:
Passages and questions are included in their home-study books. I am not sure if all of their passages are though. I also do not know if they offer extra passages in class to their students in the handouts (given to only ppl in the course), but The Berkeley Review rep on SDN can probably answer that.

Yeah, there are about another 500-600 passages in the in-class handouts and supplemental exams. I've only thoroughly been through the physics and general chemistry ones (as a teacher), so I'm not sure about the caliber of the other ones. But the ones I used when I taught were a little better than the ones in the books, I thought. I hear the verbal ones are supposed to be pretty good passages. I don't remember them that well from my time as a student in the class because I wasn't the best student they ever had (or even in the top 99%) in terms of dedication. I didn't do over half of them and felt really guilty about it. :(

As far as I know, those are a part of the course and not for sale via the website.

The students in the classroom get extra passages and handouts.

I wish I had a class near me.

They give us five extra passages in each science lecture and about ten extra verbal reasoning passages with each verbal lecture. I'm barely into my class right now, so I'm not sure what else they give, but there are definitely passages besides the books. I plan to use them for review in a month or so after I've started to forget my early material.

I'm taking the Kaplan course this upcoming semester (starts at the end of January) but I'm a bit of the way through on content review using the Kaplan and EK books. My question is would it be beneficial to get TBR Gen. Chem. and Physics books even though I have access to the Kaplan Qbank?

I've heard so many good things about the passages offered in TBR science books, especially the Gen. Chem. and Physics, but I don't want to shell out extra money if the Qbank stuff is similar in strength. I have not had a chance to look at the Qbank so I'm not exactly sure what's in it but if anyone could offer advice on this, I would appreciate it greatly.

I'm taking the Kaplan course this upcoming semester (starts at the end of January) but I'm a bit of the way through on content review using the Kaplan and EK books. My question is would it be beneficial to get TBR Gen. Chem. and Physics books even though I have access to the Kaplan Qbank?

I've heard so many good things about the passages offered in TBR science books, especially the Gen. Chem. and Physics, but I don't want to shell out extra money if the Qbank stuff is similar in strength. I have not had a chance to look at the Qbank so I'm not exactly sure what's in it but if anyone could offer advice on this, I would appreciate it greatly.

I think it would be beneficial to get the BR books for PS. Kaplan passages just are not as thought provoking.