berkeley review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olygt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who have used berkeley review material, are the physics, chem. and organic practice passage pretty much in sync with aamc scores or are EK exams more indicative? I just got the berkeley books and am studying from that and the EK study package. It seems BR has a more in depth approach on the subjects than EK.

Members don't see this ad.

For those who have used berkeley review material, are the physics, chem. and organic practice passage pretty much in sync with aamc scores or are EK exams more indicative? I just got the berkeley books and am studying from that and the EK study package. It seems BR has a more in depth approach on the subjects than EK.

The scores in the books are okay indicators, but make sure you consider an average score for all of the sections combined, not a single section. But, they are not as indicative as the exams we give.

Our CBTs are pretty much right on the mark for predicting actual MCAT scores. We spent a ton of time working the curves and reworking the curves (after getting real scores back). If you are taking those, then your average score will likely be your real MCAT score +/- 2 (for the randomness of which exam you get).

The scores in the books are okay indicators, but make sure you consider an average score for all of the sections combined, not a single section. But, they are not as indicative as the exams we give.

Our CBTs are pretty much right on the mark for predicting actual MCAT scores. We spent a ton of time working the curves and reworking the curves (after getting real scores back). If you are taking those, then your average score will likely be your real MCAT score +/- 2 (for the randomness of which exam you get).

is the only way to get Berkeley Review's CBTs by enrolling in the class?

Yes, I believe you have to enroll in the class to get access to the CBTs.

As for the scores in the books, I think they're useful as an indicator of how well you're doing on that subject. NONE of the practice scores that you get from doing practice problems should mean anything other than to indicate how well you grasp the material and concepts. Do the problems from both sets of books, though. They're great practice.

As a side note, TBR's CBT tests are great - I believe I got within +/- 1 of my average TBR CBT scores on the actual thing. They're a bit tricky, and there are very difficult passages, but I think that's far more reflective of the actual MCAT than the actual AAMC's. The only weakness of the TBR CBTs are their verbal sections, which don't quite match the "accuracy" of the AAMC tests (but that makes sense, given that AAMC's VR sections are made up of actual retired verbal passages)

Members don't see this ad :)
could you please keep me informed as well!!!:) [email protected]

I PMed BerkReviewTeach and he told me the CBT tests will be available hopefully after March 1 or soon thereafter. There are I believe three tests going to be available.

Check the Berk Review website around that date.

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a bit more chemistry practice and have decided to go with Berkeley Review. I'm trying to decide between buying the general chemistry books ($50) or just the practice passages ($15). I've already done the Kaplan big book and I'm currently doing EK 1001 chemistry, so I may not need the TBR books if the passages provide excellent practice.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

What works best in studying from the berkeley review books...working on one subject first and going to the next or study all the subjects together?

What works best in studying from the berkeley review books...working on one subject first and going to the next or study all the subjects together?

I think it depends on the person. Personally, I like to do one at a time starting with Physics (my weakest), then Gchem.

Then, some verbal.

Later followed by Bio and Org chem.

Sometimes, I will take a break from what area I am in and revisit others I had finished to make sure some of it was sticking.

Just trial and error until you get what works for you!