Mar 2, 2010
Status
Holaa,

Just jumping on the bandwagon here and starting a new thread to those who have decided on going to Berkeley!

I will be joining the Infectious Disease Program this fall and am SO excited! Bay Areaaaaa!

Who else has decided on Cal?

EbolaZaire

10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I'm also in the infectious diseases program. Sooo excited!

spumoni620

.:good girl down:.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2003
At the starting line
www.seekinghealthmd.blogspot.com
Status
Attending Physician
Hi! I'm also going to be at Cal this year - epi/biostats. Super excited to start! Where are you all coming from?

Although I moved to SF 2 years ago, I haven't really made it up to Berkeley (busy life as a medical resident ) and am not from the Bay Area originally - so when I went up there for pretty much the first time this weekend, I was floored! Berkeley is SO beautiful and amazing. The people there are so diverse, and the whole campus is just gorgeous...there are orange and avocado trees on the street. Is that not amazing? I even walked by the school of public health bldg (which is marked with big X's, so I call it the "X" building.) I've already sampled 3 fantastic restaurants on Shattuck and went to the original Peet's coffee (super strong, be forewarned)...

Trying to figure out places to live (see my other thread :) ). Are you all thinking of living pretty close to campus? There's this gigundo luxury apt complex coming up about 2-3 miles west of campus (kind of on the outskirts of Berkeley, by the highway) - "Fourth & U" - they are heavily marketing their place with tons of promos/specials (it's still currently under construction, but should be done by June 1). It's sort of a pseudo-suburbia location (rapidly developing area next to a swanky collection of shops - MAC, Anthropologie, CB2, etc), but the apts (I can vouch for this, as I went on a tour with my very own hard hat and closed-toed shoes) are pretty incredible: your own washer/dryer, brand new kitchen, floors, granite countertops, everything.

After multiple years of dorm/studio living, I am somewhat ready to go a bit upscale...but the inner sensible grad student in me is trying to convince myself to stay with a teeny-weeny studio near campus. :) Any Berkeley-ites on this thread willing to offer some advice on living in the city?

Anyway, looking forward to meeting you guys soon! :D

Mar 7, 2010
Status
Hi! I'm also going to be at Cal this year - epi/biostats. Super excited to start! Where are you all coming from?

Although I moved to SF 2 years ago, I haven't really made it up to Berkeley (busy life as a medical resident ) and am not from the Bay Area originally - so when I went up there for pretty much the first time this weekend, I was floored! Berkeley is SO beautiful and amazing. The people there are so diverse, and the whole campus is just gorgeous...there are orange and avocado trees on the street. Is that not amazing? I even walked by the school of public health bldg (which is marked with big X's, so I call it the "X" building.) I've already sampled 3 fantastic restaurants on Shattuck and went to the original Peet's coffee (super strong, be forewarned)...

Trying to figure out places to live (see my other thread :) ). Are you all thinking of living pretty close to campus? There's this gigundo luxury apt complex coming up about 2-3 miles west of campus (kind of on the outskirts of Berkeley, by the highway) - "Fourth & U" - they are heavily marketing their place with tons of promos/specials (it's still currently under construction, but should be done by June 1). It's sort of a pseudo-suburbia location (rapidly developing area next to a swanky collection of shops - MAC, Anthropologie, CB2, etc), but the apts (I can vouch for this, as I went on a tour with my very own hard hat and closed-toed shoes) are pretty incredible: your own washer/dryer, brand new kitchen, floors, granite countertops, everything.

After multiple years of dorm/studio living, I am somewhat ready to go a bit upscale...but the inner sensible grad student in me is trying to convince myself to stay with a teeny-weeny studio near campus. :) Any Berkeley-ites on this thread willing to offer some advice on living in the city?

Anyway, looking forward to meeting you guys soon! :D
I went to Cal for undergrad, and I really enjoyed the area! It's a great place to spend a few years of life in. :) As an undergrad, we got a bus pass as part of our fees, and that made it possible to live a little further from campus. I lived in Rockridge, which is in North Oakland, and a great neighborhood. I shared a house with two other roommates (it was a two bedroom with really huge bedrooms) and it was $1600 a month for the entire unit, which is pretty cheap, considering how expensive living in Berkeley is, as well as how crappy the apartments usually are. My experience with Berkeley has always been really small rooms, small apartments, kitchens for undergrads (as in, not real, functional kitchens for people who like to cook), and obnoxious neighbors who are either too loud, or too quiet (and insist that you are quiet as well).

The school of public health is on the northern part of campus, which is a nicer part of Berkeley, but from the apartments I've seen, they're still pretty small, and you end up paying more for the location.

I'm not trying to be a negative nelly, but I loved living in Rockridge. You spend less time around undergrads, the community is really nice, there are shops and restaurants, and it's well serviced by public transportation. It's also easier to find parking. My commute to campus was 15 minutes on the bus, and then the requisite time to walk from the southside to wherever my class was.

I haven't looked at apartments near 4th and University though, so I can't really say anything about those.

Hope that helps!

spumoni620

.:good girl down:.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 18, 2003
At the starting line
www.seekinghealthmd.blogspot.com
Status
Attending Physician
Hi! Thanks so much for your detailed answer! I can provide some extra input as well now that I've toured a bit of Berkeley and looked at a number of apartments...

- I looked at a few on Northside - they are soooo pretty, in beautiful wooded areas with really quaint surroundings. Seemed quiet. Very nature-driven. near this area called the "gourmet ghetto" which is just filled with AMAZING restaurants (n = 3 :) ) As for apt quality, I agree - some of them are run down, but some of them are renovated (when you do your craigslist search, you can search for "renovated") with brand new kitchens and whatnot. I looked at a few that are higher and lower than the rent I'm currently paying in SF (I pay ~ $1400 for a studio; I am employed and frugal otherwise except for groceries and clothes :oops:) ) In general, I found craigslist had places that were steals/deals and then places that were dumps (I would say you have to visit in person). the other complicating issue is that apts fill up realllly fast; it seems now people are leasing for June.

-4th and U have nice, nice apts. BUT they are located close to the railroad tracks, and I feel like this could present a big noise issue. And although it's right near the Berkeley marina (a beautiful, beautiful park + jogging + biking trails overlooking the bay), it does seem a bit "industrial" around this area...

- I agree that Southside apts were in general much more run down and gross, and more likely to be overrun with undergrads.

- Rents do seem to be cheaper in places like Temescal, South Berkeley, etc, but given my utter lack of knowledge of the area before last weekend, i feel a bit scared jumping on to a 1-year lease that's neither in SF (where I'll occasionally be working) and Cal...?

- I don't know much about Rockridge, so really appreciate the info of the above poster. Mihyang, do you feel like you still got the "Berkeley experience" living in Rockridge? Part of the appeal of living close by is getting to experience this amazing city to its fullest...

Mihyang (or anyone in the know) is there a lot to do in Rockridge - ie do they have cute shops, restaurants, and a young-urban population (ie not undergrad-young, but maybe young professionals young?)

Thanks again for your help! And hope to hear from more Cal MPH students soon :)

Mar 7, 2010
Status
To respond to your question about whether or not I got the Berkeley experience living in Rockridge, it's hard for me to say because I lived in Berkeley proper for my first two years of undergrad before I moved to Rockridge.

There is a lot to do in Rockridge; there are bars, restaurants, cute shops, and grocery stores within walking distance. I lived between two Safeways, near this great produce place called Yasai, a few blocks away from Trader Joe's. It made groceries really easy!

There is a young professional/urban population, mostly everyone was in their late 20s/early 30s. Hope that helps!

EbolaZaire

10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2008
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Do you think it's worth it to have a car? I'll be driving mine to Berkeley so I can bring all my stuff, but I've heard parking is both a nightmare and $$ so I'm toying with the idea of selling it there.

misz DV

Bug Thug
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Status
Non-Student
Do you think it's worth it to have a car? I'll be driving mine to Berkeley so I can bring all my stuff, but I've heard parking is both a nightmare and $$ so I'm toying with the idea of selling it there.
A car is always a nice thing to have; however, you can get around the Bay using BART. That's my preferred way of getting everywhere in the Bay Area when I'm up there.

Mar 2, 2010
Status
Hey guys!

Have any of you received an acceptance in the mail yet?? I know thru online I was admitted, but I haven't gotten anything yet from the mailman :(

misz DV

Bug Thug
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Status
Non-Student
I haven't gotten anything either. Maybe they don't send them out? When did you get your acceptance?

Hey guys!

Have any of you received an acceptance in the mail yet?? I know thru online I was admitted, but I haven't gotten anything yet from the mailman :(

LiteBear2011

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2008
Status
Other Health Professions Student
I'm finish my undergraduate work at Berkeley, and I can say that it is "without a doubt" not worth having a car here. It's exactly what you said, an expensive nightmare. Unless you have a job where you need a car to get to work, I would not even consider it.

I'm not sure if the Graduate students get this, but the Class Pass (a sticker that goes on your Cal Card that lets you ride the AC Transit for free) is great. The buses aren't bad.