Berkeley Students applying to dental schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by ccss, Oct 27, 2002.

1. ccss

ccss Member

For Berkeley Students applying to dental schools:
    Which G-Chem classes did you take at Cal. I took Chem 1A, 3A, 3B, MCB 102. But I was told that I still need one additional G-Chem course to satisfy UCLA 's requirement. Does anyone know what other dental schools have similar requirement as UCLA?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pi__Guy1

Pi__Guy1 Senior Member

I graduated from Berkeley and I am now attending NYU, from my experiences with the application process, UCLA is the only STUPID-ASS school who will not accept Berkeley's one G-chem class. I tried to complain during my interview, but UCLA is very rude and ignorant. All other schools that I have applied to did not require a second G-chem class.

4. ccss

ccss Member

Thank you so much for your reply. It's really helpful.
    So schools like BU, NYU, Columbia, and U Penn will accept those classes( 1A, 3A, 3B, 102) I took ?

5. hopefully

hopefully Member

All the schools that you mentioned will take the Berkeley chemistry series. However, I think you need to take the extra
    g chem course for ucla. You may want to email the school and ask to be on the safe side.

6. ccss

ccss Member

yeah..Chem 1A was not easy for me either....But O-chem killed me , especially Chem 3B. That was a nightmare for me :(

7. juan7677

juan7677 Senior Member

I'm an UCLA undergrad and UCLA dental school told me that I'm lacking 2 units in G-chem. I thought this was so stupid b/c UCLA offers a specific chemistry series to take for Life Science Majors (bio, micro bio, molecular bio, physiological science, etc). These include Chem 14A, B, C, BL, CL, 140. However they told me that the courses that satistfy G-chem are 14A, 14B, and 14BL and these only add up to 10 units, 2 units shy of the 12 units requirement. However, the courses that satisfies the Organic chem are 14C, 14CL, and 140 and these add up to 11 units, which is over the 8 unit requirement. This news was very shocking to me. I don't understand how a UCLA dental school don't accept these courses offered at UCLA and to further add to the problem there is no other G-chem class I could take at UCLA. So they're telling me to take one at a JC. This pisses me off!!!!!