Berkeley/UCSF joint medical program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Napoleon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any comments on this masters/medical degree program?

Members don't see this ad.

Napoleon said:
Any comments on this masters/medical degree program?

Great program. 100% PBL, thesis project, very small classroom size (12 students per year). Have you interviewed with them?

I worked with a bunch of doctors who met there -- they still go rockclimbing and international-volunteering together, and have nothing but wonderful things to say about the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Elastase said:
Great program. 100% PBL, thesis project, very small classroom size (12 students per year). Have you interviewed with them?

It's just a bit rare to run into students who have something to tell me about it. Any comments on how these physicians are doing now (academics, public health, private, etc) ?

Thanks!

Napoleon said:
It's just a bit rare to run into students who have something to tell me about it. Any comments on how these physicians are doing now (academics, public health, private, etc) ?

Thanks!

They are doing well. More than half match into UCSF out of each class. I think the SFGH Chief Resident right now was from the JMP. They do well if not better than the regular UCSF student b/c of the intensive PBL since day one. Have you interviewed Napoleon?

Has anyone been accepted into the JMP for next year, and planning on attending?

Elastase said:
Has anyone been accepted into the JMP for next year, and planning on attending?

I have a friend going, and she's pretty excited. The docs I knew who went are all very happy with thier careers. A few of them also founded and are now heavily involved with this international nonprofit: www.ghap.org . So yeah, these guys go on to do pretty cool things!

Does anyone know anything about the alternate list at JMP?

thanks.

I'm sure it moves...I withdrew a couple of weeks ago post-acceptance. Its a very specialized program, so they know exactly who they think would fit good within the group. However, some ppl apply and realize after acceptance that its not for them for various reasons...still a great program though. Good luck!

I also withdrew from the alternate list...this past week. Even though I was an alternate for a while, I don't know much about it. I would assume that if you get in is really dependant on who withdraws (to make a diverse class with only 12 people must be hard). I do know that people were supposed to decide either April 15th or May 1st (I can't remember) instead of the usual May 15th deadline since the school starts so much earlier, but in spite of that you could still be accepted up until the school starts on June 26th.

Good Luck!

doublepeak said:
I also withdrew from the alternate list...this past week. Even though I was an alternate for a while, I don't know much about it. I would assume that if you get in is really dependant on who withdraws (to make a diverse class with only 12 people must be hard). I do know that people were supposed to decide either April 15th or May 1st (I can't remember) instead of the usual May 15th deadline since the school starts so much earlier, but in spite of that you could still be accepted up until the school starts on June 26th.

Good Luck!

Thats a good point. I forgot about that...they need to accept ppl a lot earlier than May 15th, b/c they start in mid-June. They give admits two weeks to decide...way to much time pressure in my opinion...