Berkley Review of ExamKrackers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cocimonster115

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Considering that I am finishing general chemistry and physics this year (i'm a freshman at this point) and probably (95% sure) that I will be taking the MCAT in the summer of 2011 since I'll have finished organic chem and biology in my sophmore year, I thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and buy some MCAT prep books to give myself a solid basis in the physical science and verbal sections now just to relieve some of the stress from next summer. (This doesn't mean that I am studying for the MCAT a year ahead of time... I'm not that crazy)

So based on that information and you guys personal opinion <-- bad grammar =) - what works as a better review: The Berkley Review, or ExamKracker review books (or The Princeton Review also but not TPRH because I don't have time to track down those books).

Note that I've already decided to purchase the EK 1001 series and EK 101 Verbal so please don't suggest those I'm only looking for REVIEW (content) books.

Members don't see this ad.

I took the berkeley review course, used their books and am using their online CBT's. I would recommend not starting to study just yet. Its too early. I know you want to be on the ball but you will forget all you need to know by the time you take the exam. I will have studied for 4 months before taking the exam, and thats a little longer than the average. I go to UC berkeley so i know i was well prepared by my courses as a bio major, but i would recommend taking the berkeley review class if you can. They do an amazing job of refreshing you in 2 months, assuming you can keep up with the reading...Hope that helps

Considering that I am finishing general chemistry and physics this year (i'm a freshman at this point) and probably (95% sure) that I will be taking the MCAT in the summer of 2011 since I'll have finished organic chem and biology in my sophmore year, I thought it would be a good idea to go ahead and buy some MCAT prep books to give myself a solid basis in the physical science and verbal sections now just to relieve some of the stress from next summer. (This doesn't mean that I am studying for the MCAT a year ahead of time... I'm not that crazy)

So based on that information and you guys personal opinion <-- bad grammar =) - what works as a better review: The Berkley Review, or ExamKracker review books (or The Princeton Review also but not TPRH because I don't have time to track down those books).

Note that I've already decided to purchase the EK 1001 series and EK 101 Verbal so please don't suggest those I'm only looking for REVIEW (content) books.

If you're planning to reduce stress by buying the materials and storing them for use, then I highly recommend it, but if you plan to reduce stress by starting to review this early for a test date at the end of next summer, then I highly discourage it. Good luck either way

thanks for the reply, but I should have made it more clear that I am NOT studying for mcat now. i'm using chemistry and physics (since I just finished those classes) to familarize myself with the the format of the test and maybe seeing where I would probably need to focus/improve in the future.

i'd still like to know your opinions on what is a better review, The berkley review or examkrackers

Members don't see this ad :)
Biology: 1. EK Bio (for content) + BR Bio (for passages and further topic depth if needed) 2. TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics
: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK Verbal + EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

Extra Practice Material: 1. TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook + TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook, good source of practice passages 1. AAMC Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (most representative material available) 2. EK 1001 series, helps nail down basics

I thought the title of this thread was going to be a pun, but I was disappoint to find out it was just another spelling error on a played out thread.

SN2ed seems to have a far more educated opinion, so you should probably listen to him, but I thought the examkrackers series worked fine.

EK Physics isn't even mentioned in SNs list, but its' the only thing I used with it being like 6 years since my last physics class ended in high school. So while there may well be better, and you should listen to others who know better, pure EK is still enough to get you by, and I had a really positive experience with all of their subjects.

Added EK Physics' rank. EK Physics, like most of the other EK books, are great for people that are strong in a particular subject. However, everyone could benefit from the more in-depth explanations of the top books and in the case of BR and Nova Physics, the abundance of practice passages/questions. Taking tons of passages is vital for MCAT prep.

Biology: 1. EK Bio (for content) + BR Bio (for passages and further topic depth if needed) 2. TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics
: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. EK/Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK Verbal + EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

Extra Practice Material: 1. TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook + TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook, good source of practice passages 1. AAMC Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (most representative material available) 2. EK 1001 series, helps nail down basics