Berkley Reviw vs EKs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C@rol

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have started studying and feel like I'm drowning under all the info. My biggest problem is that I work full-time and take 2 classes in the evenings. I have the Berkley Review and Exam Krackers book sets.

I originally planned to go through both sets but I do not think that will be feasible with my restricted time line. I've heard great things about BR, should I prioritize that book and use EK as a supplement? I have covered about 1/2 of each Bio book, and it seems to me that EK goes more in-depth, which I'm worried is not necessary.

Also, I would appreciate any tips you have to speed up content review. Unfortunately, I took most of my pre-reqs a while ago so I truly have to sit down and go over all the material, which is taking a while.

Thanks in advanced!

Members don't see this ad.

TBR definitely goes way more in-depth than EK. However, the books you decide on using has many factors that have to be considered. First, is how much time you have to dedicate to studying. It's obvious that TBR will require more time than EK due to the amount of content text, as well as the passage questions at the end of each section (this is the money maker here). Secondly, you must consider what type of review you need and how you feel about the material that will be tested. There are four sections to the MCAT and for many people they are more stronger in some than they are in others. Take a diagnostic and see where your potential weaknesses are. If you really need a lot of content review, I would suggest TBR for the sciences. If you don't need much help with the sciences then you can potentially go the EK route and supplement their books with passages to help the info stick. TBR seems to be very helpful with C/P if that's a section you're concerned with. Be honest with yourself as to what you know and don't know. If pre req's were done awhile ago, then I would suggest TBR for C/P and B/B. They go in-depth but it seems that low yield has been a common theme stated form previous test takers.

Also, be mindful of the amount that you have on your plate. The exam, and college in general is not structured for those that have numerous obligations outside of their studies. Only way to overcome this is to recognize priorities and plan accordingly. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
you need to know the material really well to make EK your dominant study source... I do love EK though (i think their advice as to what's important on the exam was very accurate)

Reactions: 1 user
Both sources have their strengths and weaknesses. I used TBR for C/P and B/B and EK for CARS and P/S and would highly recommend that pairing to anyone. If time is limited, you can skip the content reading and do the embedded questions in TBR books. The practice passages and answer explanations are the most important part of their materials. The best thing you'll get from TBR science books are the tips and strategies. Some of them are absolute gold and they saved my butt on the exam. For P/S you should use Khan passages and TPR for materials. EK was super helpful at the end for going back to specific subject matter and pounding questions. Make sure you do all the AAMC questions in the last month or two.

I just want to add that the 300 page P/S PDF is an absolute must and that the AAMC SBs are a great resource (better than the Q packs IMHO) but harder than your actual exam.

Reactions: 1 user