Medical Besides doing my best on MCAT, how do I make myself more competitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a non-traditional student coming form public health who wants to go into medicine. I graduated in 2015 with a degree in biochemistry and minor in public health. Thought I would get an MPH and then PhD but realized I want patient care. Some of my stats are below

cumulative GPA undergrad: 3.471

BIO 1B
BIO 2A, taken in summer
CHEM 1A-
CHEM 2A, but at community college in summer
ORGO 1B
ORGO 2B-
PHYSICS 1B+
PHYSICS 2B+

work experience: 4 years in public health academic research, promoted after 2.5 years.

4 publications, 1 being 1st author. Hopefully 5 pubs after a few months.

Shadowed primary care (Geriatrics) physician. Also have volunteered as a doula since Jan 2019. Also want to do end of life volunteering, but the position I had is suspended now obviously understandable because of COVID-19.

I still have to take the MCAT and obviously I need to do my best, but what else should I be focusing on? I figured nail the MCAT and also get as much clinical experience to make sure this is what I want, but should I also retake classes? I have taken a few public health courses, but they were easy As, not hard sciences. I plan to apply May 2021.
Do you have any connections with faculty at other medical schools through your MPH or other studies? Clinical experience is obviously something you have to do. I would also connect with admissions officers to address concerns you may have about how your prior prerequisites will be evaluated during screening and deliberation. I'd be interested in your grad GPA and especially upper-level biomed coursework you have taken.

Sorry if my post wasn't clear, I do NOT have an MPH. I got my job thinking I would go on to get and MPH and then realized the degree wouldn't get me what I wanted in a job, so I didn't waste my money. I did take a few classes while I was working full time through my benefits: Nutrition, Urban Agriculture, and Environmental Health in Low and Middle Income Countries. I got As in all. I work as a Research Analyst at a top public health school.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.