Best advanced bios to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FireandIce128

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you had to rank which advanced bio classes would be/look the best for dental school, how would you rank them?

I'm asking because I'm currently choosing between advanced anatomy and physiology or immunology this semester. Obviously one sounds better than the other but I also have costs and scheduling conflicts that will help make my final choice lol.

Members don't see this ad.

Either is good, but if you already have taken basic A&P, I would go with immunology.

Thanks for the response! I actually haven't taken basic A&P, but what ties my choice is that advanced A&P sounds better but immunology fits my schedule better and costs me less. Frankly, I'm interested in both the same too haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response! I actually haven't taken basic A&P, but what ties my choice is that advanced A&P sounds better but immunology fits my schedule better and costs me less. Frankly, I'm interested in both the same too haha.

No problem. And for most D-schools, immunology isn't a required course, but A&P is. Take that into consideration when finalizing your schedule.

Reactions: 1 user
Gonna steal an opportunity to ask a question in a similar vein:

My school is the type that combines anatomy and physiology (with lab) into a 4 credit course split into two semesters. I'm currently taking part 1, would it be highly advised for me to take part 2 next semester?

Finally, would it be advantageous to take another biology elective next Spring before I graduate? My school offers both Immuno and Microbio but they're both one of the hardest classes over here (wouldn't want to end up finishing my undergrad badly). Which one of those would be most helpful for dental school and should I take one of them?

Edit: just to add that I've already applied for schools this summer so I'm keeping requirements in mind. The courses I listed would be supplemental to the requirements I've already fulfilled for the schools I applied to

Gonna steal an opportunity to ask a question in a similar vein:

My school is the type that combines anatomy and physiology (with lab) into a 4 credit course split into two semesters. I'm currently taking part 1, would it be highly advised for me to take part 2 next semester?

Finally, would it be advantageous to take another biology elective next Spring before I graduate? My school offers both Immuno and Microbio but they're both one of the hardest classes over here (wouldn't want to end up finishing my undergrad badly). Which one of those would be most helpful for dental school and should I take one of them?

I would advise taking both parts of A&P just to be safe. As for your second question, I wouldn't risk your GPA. There are other recommended and incredibly challenging classes you could take, like "Intro to Ceramics". :highfive:

No problem. And for most D-schools, immunology isn't a required course, but A&P is. Take that into consideration when finalizing your schedule.

Wow I actually thought anatomy and physiology was a recommended choice for most dental schools.

Wow I actually thought anatomy and physiology was a recommended choice for most dental schools.

Just double check with your schools and find out if you even have to take it.
Out of the 9 schools I'm applying to, 4 of them require anatomy and physiology.

Just double check with your schools and find out if you even have to take it.
Out of the 9 schools I'm applying to, 4 of them require anatomy and physiology.

Alright thanks a lot!
It is certainly clear that A&P is highly recommended in many places.

I would advise taking both parts of A&P just to be safe. As for your second question, I wouldn't risk your GPA. There are other recommended and incredibly challenging classes you could take, like "Intro to Ceramics". :highfive:

In regards to this post, I would double check with the schools you're applying to about Microbiology first. A small handful of schools do INDEED require a Microbiology course now, and I believe more schools are going to require the course soon, just like what many have with Biochemistry classes. So while you debate on whether or not it's worth risking your GPA, you could be delaying your admissions if you don't consider taking a Microbiology course soon.

In regards to this post, I would double check with the schools you're applying to about Microbiology first. A small handful of schools do INDEED require a Microbiology course now, and I believe more schools are going to require the course soon, just like what many have with Biochemistry classes. So while you debate on whether or not it's worth risking your GPA, you could be delaying your admissions if you don't consider taking a Microbiology course soon.

Good catch @MushieMush, this is true. An introductory-level micrbio should suffice for the ones that I know of, but I could be wrong.

I've definitely looked into it using ADEA guide to dental schools (and going onto the websites of all the schools I've applied to) and only two of the schools I applied to require microbio. However, both are state schools that are currently reaches (due to OOS:IS ratio) so me taking microbio would likely only be a sure thing if I get interviews from those schools.

My question is mostly directed at the utility of taking courses like immuno and microbio. Would taking these make the transition into dental school much easier?

I've definitely looked into it using ADEA guide to dental schools (and going onto the websites of all the schools I've applied to) and only two of the schools I applied to require microbio. However, both are state schools that are currently reaches (due to OOS:IS ratio) so me taking microbio would likely only be a sure thing if I get interviews from those schools.

My question is mostly directed at the utility of taking courses like immuno and microbio. Would taking these make the transition into dental school much easier?

Yes, those courses will prepare you for dental school. If your GPA is stellar, it's up to you whether or not to be an over-achiever. If your GPA is low, then you should definitely take it and shoot for an A.