Best airline that is most fair for changes of plans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joker937

UCLA SOD 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, it happened! I need to schedule my first interview! :) I know an interview means nothing, but I guess it's something. Anyway, I need to choose a day and book a flight. This is where it gets tricky. What airline is the "nicest" in terms of letting you change a flight? I am not necessarily looking for an airline that will give me a refund, but what airline will keep your money on your account as future credit if it happens?

I have a friend who interviewed last year at School A and School B. He originally bought a ticket to fly to School A, but when he found out that School B's interview was on the same day, School A let him change his interview date but the airline charged him like $400 or something.

Anyone? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

None let you keep your money AFAIK. They all charge a fee to reschedule, some may be cheaper than others, but you have a limited # of options inside the U.S. anyways (and they're basically all the same regarding scheduling in terms of fees).

Also, for flights I'd recommend looking at Kayak and Google Flights.

It's probably going to depend on what kind of ticket you buy. For example, southwest has the "wanna get away" prices that are cheap, but they are nonrefundable.*** I'm pretty sure other airlines have something similar. You also need to be careful booking through third party sites like Expedia and Priceline. You will get cheaper tickets, but they will be nonrefundable. Ticket insurance will generally cover things like health emergencies but will need to be verified by a physician and you'll have to submit a claim.

For my interviews, I just did everything through Google Flights. They let you look at all major airlines except southwest.

***Edit: Other posters below mentioned how you can change the dates with Southwest. Good to know :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Southwest lets you change your dates. If the new flight is more expensive, you just have to pay the difference. If it's cheaper, they give you the difference in Southwest credit.

Reactions: 2 users
Unless you have some sort of elite status it is Southwest for sure. No change fees, just the difference if the new ticket is more expensive.

Southwest lets you change your dates. If the new flight is more expensive, you just have to pay the difference. If it's cheaper, they give you the difference in Southwest credit.
THIS^^

i extended my stay in vegas for 2 days (last week), the new ticket was $12 more and thats all i paid. freakin love Southwest

Reactions: 1 user

Unless you have some sort of elite status it is Southwest for sure. No change fees, just the difference if the new ticket is more expensive.
https://www.southwest.com/html/air/fare-information.html

I stand corrected! The "wanna get aways" are nonrefundable but can be applied towards a future flight. Good to know!

THIS^^

i extended my stay in vegas for 2 days (last week), the new ticket was $12 more and thats all i paid. freakin love Southwest
Same. I'm so glad they fly everywhere I need to go. And those free drink coupons are an added bonus :love:

Awesome, thanks, guys.

Anyone have good experience with DELTA?

Awesome, thanks, guys.

Anyone have good experience with DELTA?

For Delta, you either need to buy a refundable ticket or have certain medallion status in order to avoid the change fees. Otherwise, you only have until 24 hours after you booked your ticket to change or cancel your itinerary without penalty (but the clock doesn't start until midnight of the date after your reservation timestamp).

One thing you need to watch out for Southwest. If you book a roundtrip ticket, should you miss your first flight, you don't get to keep or get reimbursed for your second flight. I uhh...know this because of a friend...by no means did I oversleep for a flight like a fool one time :whistle:

Tl;Dr don't buy roundtrip tickets; pgex2t is a fool

On Delta, you can now change the time of departure for free if it is within 24 hours of your flight.

One thing you need to watch out for Southwest. If you book a roundtrip ticket, should you miss your first flight, you don't get to keep or get reimbursed for your second flight. I uhh...know this because of a friend...by no means did I oversleep for a flight like a fool one time :whistle:

Tl;Dr don't buy roundtrip tickets; pgex2t is a fool
lol I'm going to guess that's true for all airlines

On Delta, you can now change the time of departure for free if it is within 24 hours of your flight.

But you can only change your departure flight to one that departs on the same date as your original flight, and there is still a fee of $50 for those without gold, platinum, or diamond medallion status.

I know an interview means nothing, but I guess it's something

It doesmean something, you moved on to the next round. Now its a level playing field so to speak. I feel like its an accomplishment.

As for flights, southwest is the way to go.