Best All Around Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoyMilk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats the best all around medical school?

I'm not really sure if I want to be involved in research or not, but which medical schools are well known for both primary care and research opportunities.

[I've done research in the past, but it wasn't directly within my field of interest. I might like it more if it was more closely related to medicine]

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, I don't think this question is answerable... If you want a surperficial idea of "The Best Medical School" then US News is a popular source for ranking both clinical and research. However, I don't think you'll find a "best med school" until you've visited on interview day and had a taste for not only the academics but also the environment and culture.

People might say that there is no such thing as "the best medical school," but don't let them fool you. There is a best all around medical school. People who post in this thread might try to convince you otherwise but don't believe them.
People are just very defensive about such things.

The best all around medical school is Stewart University.
http://www.stewartmed.org/
The first thing it says on their site is Stewart - the #1 Medical School.

Whether you want to do primary care or research, I'm sure that Stewart is the right school for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't want to do research, the answe is wherever you are most comfortable

People might say that there is no such thing as "the best medical school," but don't let them fool you. There is a best all around medical school. People who post in this thread might try to convince you otherwise but don't believe them.

Whether you want to do primary care or research, I'm sure that Stewart is the right school for you.

Oh, my bad. I forgot about that one...

And don't forget about their openness to all applicants... if you have a pulse, you're in! :thumbup:

This has already been discussed ad nauseum...the answer is clearly the Stewart University branch campus: Hogwart's College of Medicine

Wow...what is up with this school, Stewart University? The website sounds and reads like a scam...

If you don't want to do research, the answe is wherever you are most comfortable

I agree with Texas Tri. I am a fourth year medical student right now, and looking back on when I chose to attend my current medical school, it just felt like a place I could be happy. I also think there is an element of "it is what you make of it", meaning that you could be at a very research-heavy school or a very community-service oriented school, but it's up to you to take advantage of what's available to you.

I can only speak for myself, but if you are looking for a well-rounded med school, I have been very happy with Loyola. We aren't a reserach powerhouse, but if you want to do reserach, you definitely can. I am doing research with a trauma surgeon right now, and classmates of mine have presented posters at conferences for surgery, medicine, emergency medicine, ortho. We also have a lot of opportunities for early clinical experiences, international opportunities during your 1st and 4th years, great facilities (our gym rocks), good teachers and an administrative support staff who would take a bullet for us. Our M1/M2 daily schedule is the most humane of any school I've seen. We also match people into very competetive specialties (6 of my classmates are going into urology, several into derm, 3 or 4 in optho) at competetive places (my first year, we matched 7 of our grads at Mass General). Just my $0.02 on my med school experience

By USN, UW is #1 primary care and top ten in research. Of course if you are not from there, that information does you no good.

Real answer--whatever the best fit for you is the best all-around school. The curriculum is standardized throughout the US, so you're not going to learn something at Harvard that you won't at the school funded by your state of residence.

I like the Vonnegut reference...One of my favorite novels is Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. Written in 1963, it is a ridiculous over-the-top science fiction book that satirizes science, religion, war, politics, the end of the world, and midgets. One of the more amazing things is that Vonnegut describes a fictional discovery of "ice-nine." A single molecule of this substance can "teach" molecules of normal liquid water to arrange themselves as ice-nine. It is as if one molecule of ice can "seed" water molecules to become that exact form of ice....This, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly what a prion does.

(I doubt this was the first time anyone proposed this idea, but I was amazed when I realized that Vonnegut in science fiction imagined a mechanism that decades later elucidated previously inexplicable diseases.)

The best all-around med school is the one that accepts you. :rolleyes:

Is there such thing as a bad medical school (in the USA)? I plan on doing some good research while I am still an undergrad. What is the motivation of some to go to a research med school schools? Wouldn't you just be better off getting a PHD?

Is there such thing as a bad medical school (in the USA)?

not really. there are a few that are pretty strongly affiliated with a particular religion, and in my mind that is unthinkable for a serious medical school, but I do believe they provide their students with a good medical education just like any other. I would gladly go to any U.S. medical school other than the few that are affiliated with a religion, and just because I wouldn't go to them doesn't mean they are not good schools, just not for me.

I plan on doing some good research while I am still an undergrad. What is the motivation of some to go to a research med school schools?

a bunch of reasons. first, if you do good research in med school, you are better positioned for the competitive residencies, either the competitive specialties or the competitive programs in the less competitive specialties. second, some people just enjoy doing the research, or enjoy contributing to medical science progress, but they don't like it enough to make it their life's work. or maybe the kind of research they want to do has more of a clinical focus, in which case an MD is more useful than a PhD (holy cow, that took me forever to type properly because I kept writing pH, haha).

i heard of a girl who graduated from there and matched into her #1 specialty - striptease. now she's researching different ways of getting guys hard...and sometimes she gives 'em primary care in the back alley, but only if you pay extra.

Whats the best all around medical school?

I'm not really sure if I want to be involved in research or not, but which medical schools are well known for both primary care and research opportunities.

[I've done research in the past, but it wasn't directly within my field of interest. I might like it more if it was more closely related to medicine]

one word, my friend:

Brown:thumbup: